...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PureRAW announcedDxO have announced PureRAW, a basic RAW image processing program designed for use with other image editing programs. Offering the demosaicing, lens correction and noise reduction options without the image editing of PhotoLab
- Topaz Gigapixel AI V5.5Topaz Gigapixel AI has been updated to Version 5.5.0 - It's appreciably faster on newer hardware and add a a new processing model that may work better on some image sources and types
- Canon EOS R3 developmentCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: Where are the high quality A4 photo printersWhy you don't get high quality photo and fine art printers at A4 or Letter size. What features do you get with larger printers apart from the ability to make larger sizes photo prints (6m 30s)
- Video: What printer marketing doesn’t tell youWhat printer marketing doesn't say. Keith Cooper looks how much better prints you will get from a new printer and why it probably won't be significantly different from the last model (13m 20s)
- Video: Skill without marketing isn’t a businessProfessional photography as a profitable business - Why your photo skills, without proper marketing, count very little towards your business success (9m 50s)
- Video: What sorts of photo work not to doProfessional photography as a business - The importance of choosing what what sorts of work not to do and how it helps you plan your future business (12m 40s)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Epson XP-15000Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on the Epson XP-15000 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(9m 35s)
- Video: From landscape to printKeith looks a the whole process of making a black & white landscape print, from stopping to admire the view, taking some photos, editing and processing them through to paper choices & printing (32m 16s)
- Video: K&F ND2-32 variable ND filterUsing a variable (ND2-ND32) neutral density filter. Allowing for slower shutter speeds to blur movement and wider apertures to emphasise lens tilt or shallow depth of field (7m)
- Book Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash PhotographyBook Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash Photography by Richard Bradbury. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographic lighting
- Printer Test ImagesCollection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- K&F ND2-32 variable ND filter reviewReview of the K&F ND2-ND32 variable neutral density (ND) filter. 1 to 5 stops of additional exposure. 82mm version tested on a TS-E24mm shift lens. Examples show why you might use such a filter
- Review Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lampReview of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp. CCT mode 2500K-9000K, RGB colour, internally powered (USB-C charging), remote control phone app via bluetooth. ~130g weight
- Dye inks or pigment inks for photo printingWould a dye based ink printer or one using pigment inks be better for your photo printing. What prints look best on what printer ink type?
- Topaz Sharpen AI V3 reviewReview update for Topaz Sharpen AI V3 Image sharpening and shake removal software updated to improve the correction algorithms. Used by Keith for tilt/shift lenses and occasional camera shake
- BenQ SW321C monitor reviewKeith reviews the BenQ 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3. It has a wide range of inputs and features hardware calibration.
- Epson XP-15000 printer reviewKeith Cooper's review of the Epson XP-15000 printer for photo printing, The A3+ or 13" width printer uses dye based inks with an extra red and grey ink. The review concentrates on using the printer for high quality photo output rather than it's 'office printer' functionality
- Rogeti CAP GZA-1 geared pan headRogeti CAP GZA-1 Pan head with geared Arca Swiss style locking clamp. Full 360 degree geared rotation. Matches the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and accessories.
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Sigma fp L mount camera announcedSigma have announced the 'fp' L mount camera. The full frame ultra compact mirrorless is 113 x 70 x 45mm and weighs 370 grams. Captures 14 bit DNG files
- Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USMCanon have announced the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM zoom lens for the RF mount. It will cost £900/$900 and be available for September 2019. Also available as a kit option for the EOS RP
- Hartblei SRA-1 SuperrotatorHARTBLEI SRA-I Superrotator Adapter for medium format lenses and mirrorless cameras for E-Mount, L-Mount, EOS-R and Nikon-Z
- X-Rite Announces i1Pro 3 PlusX-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets. The device is optimised for measuring a wide variety of materials
- Hasselblad X1D II 50C announcedHasselblad have announced the X1D II 50C medium format camera, a faster and more richly featured successor to the X1D-50C camera. It includes a larger rear screen, a higher resolution EVF, faster startup and reduced lag
- New X-Rite ColorChecker card sizesX-Rite have announced a range of new sizes for their industry standard ColorChecker cards. Sizes launched range from Nano to Mega (24x40mm to 100x152cm)
- Datacolor Spyder X bundlesDatacolor announced the launch of two new product bundles for photographers to manage their colour workflow: SpyderX Capture Pro and SpyderX Studio. Both include the recently launched SpyderX colour calibrator for monitors
- ColorChecker Passport software updateThe free X-Rite Colourchecker Passport software from X-Rite has been updated to V2 It supports camera DNG profiling, adding support for the the Colorchecker SG card and ICC profiling as well
- Venus Optics Laowa 100mm macro lensVenus Optics announce their new Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro APO lens. Lens available in Canon EF, Nikon F and Sony mounts
- Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L USMCanon have announced the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens for RF mount mirrorless cameras. Available for June 2019 at around $2700
- Rokinon/Samyang 14mm and 85mmRokinon/Samyang have announced two new manual focus lenses for the Canon RF mount. The lenses are 14mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.4
- Topaz Gigapixel AI updated to V4Topaz have updated their Gigapixel AI resizing software to V4. The new version offers improved speed and image quality with improved resizing and workflow. Free update for existing users (Free 30 day trial and reduced price for new until April 5th)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US