...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PureRAW announcedDxO have announced PureRAW, a basic RAW image processing program designed for use with other image editing programs. Offering the demosaicing, lens correction and noise reduction options without the image editing of PhotoLab
- Topaz Gigapixel AI V5.5Topaz Gigapixel AI has been updated to Version 5.5.0 - It's appreciably faster on newer hardware and add a a new processing model that may work better on some image sources and types
- Canon EOS R3 developmentCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: What printer marketing doesn’t tell youWhat printer marketing doesn't say. Keith Cooper looks how much better prints you will get from a new printer and why it probably won't be significantly different from the last model (13m 20s)
- Video: Skill without marketing isn’t a businessProfessional photography as a profitable business - Why your photo skills, without proper marketing, count very little towards your business success (9m 50s)
- Video: What sorts of photo work not to doProfessional photography as a business - The importance of choosing what what sorts of work not to do and how it helps you plan your future business (12m 40s)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Epson XP-15000Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on the Epson XP-15000 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(9m 35s)
- Video: From landscape to printKeith looks a the whole process of making a black & white landscape print, from stopping to admire the view, taking some photos, editing and processing them through to paper choices & printing (32m 16s)
- Video: K&F ND2-32 variable ND filterUsing a variable (ND2-ND32) neutral density filter. Allowing for slower shutter speeds to blur movement and wider apertures to emphasise lens tilt or shallow depth of field (7m)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Canon PRO-200Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on Canon Pixma PRO-200 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(12m 40s)
- Book Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash PhotographyBook Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash Photography by Richard Bradbury. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographic lighting
- Printer Test ImagesCollection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- K&F ND2-32 variable ND filter reviewReview of the K&F ND2-ND32 variable neutral density (ND) filter. 1 to 5 stops of additional exposure. 82mm version tested on a TS-E24mm shift lens. Examples show why you might use such a filter
- Review Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lampReview of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp. CCT mode 2500K-9000K, RGB colour, internally powered (USB-C charging), remote control phone app via bluetooth. ~130g weight
- Dye inks or pigment inks for photo printingWould a dye based ink printer or one using pigment inks be better for your photo printing. What prints look best on what printer ink type?
- Topaz Sharpen AI V3 reviewReview update for Topaz Sharpen AI V3 Image sharpening and shake removal software updated to improve the correction algorithms. Used by Keith for tilt/shift lenses and occasional camera shake
- BenQ SW321C monitor reviewKeith reviews the BenQ 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3. It has a wide range of inputs and features hardware calibration.
- Epson XP-15000 printer reviewKeith Cooper's review of the Epson XP-15000 printer for photo printing, The A3+ or 13" width printer uses dye based inks with an extra red and grey ink. The review concentrates on using the printer for high quality photo output rather than it's 'office printer' functionality
- Rogeti CAP GZA-1 geared pan headRogeti CAP GZA-1 Pan head with geared Arca Swiss style locking clamp. Full 360 degree geared rotation. Matches the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and accessories.
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- New L mount Laowa lensesLaowa have announced 'L' mount versions of six of their lenses. 3 wide angle lenses and 3 macro lenses for Panasonic S1 series , Sigma FP and Leica SL/CL. Keith has reviews of the EF mount versions of several of them.
- Nikon Z5 announcedNikon anounces the Z5, a 24MP full frame mirrorless camera. Entry level full frame camera along with the NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 lens
- Four new Canon RF lensesFour new Canon RF lenses and two RF Extender are announced. 100-500 f/4.5-7.1, 600/11mm, 800/11mm, 85 f/2mm macro, RF1.4x, RF 2x
- EOS R5 and R6 announcedCanon officially announce the R6 and R5 mirrorless full frame cameras. The R6 is 20MP and the R5 45MP with 8k video capture
- Canon PRO-300 printer announcedCanon have announced the A3+ ImagePROGRAF PRO-300 13" pigment ink desktop printer. The successor to the PIXMA PRO-10S. Uses 10 inks including a colour optimising clearcoat
- Tokina ATX-i 11-20mm f2-8 CFTokina have announced the new ATX-i 11-20mm f/2.8 CF APS-C (crop sensor) ultra-wide zoom lens for Canon EF and Nikon F lens mounts
- DxO Nik Collection 3 announcedThe DxO Nik collection 3 announced - Software for image editing updated to include non-destructive editing functionality and a new geometry correction plugin is added to the existing plugins
- SD Express updates card speedsSD Cards have a new SD Express standard for faster transfers. The SD Cards are backwards compatible with existing cards, using new interface pins
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 updateDxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announcedEpson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcementCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US