What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- SD Express updates card speeds SD Cards have a new SD Express standard for faster transfers. The SD Cards are backwards compatible with existing cards, using new interface pins
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- On being an architectural photographer 2 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 2 looks at how the equipment you choose matches the demands of architectural photography clients - What Keith Cooper uses for our architectural and construction photography business
- Diagonal lens shift Diagonal lens shift - Keith looks at using a tilt/shift or shift only lens by combining horizontal and vertical lens movements. Using an off-set viewpoint in images
- On being an architectural photographer 1 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 1 looks at how the business of photographing architecture works, from a business, skills and creative point of view - Why Keith Cooper took up architectural and construction photography
- X-Rite ColorChecker SG review Review of the ColorChecker SG card from X-Rite. The advanced colour reference card has a wider range of colours than the standard 24 patch ColorChecker card used for creating camera profiles. Creates DNG and ICC profiles - also useful for scanner profiling
- Jessop zoom slide duplicator lens Testing a 35mm zoom slide copier on a modern digital camera with some slides from the 1970's. Includes image processing and lighting concerns and a quick look at photo image quality from the 70's
- i1Studio update 1.5 X-rite updates i1Studio to version 1.5. Improves profile accuracy and adds i1Display Studio (monitor calibration) support
- SpyderPrint black and white print refinement Black and white printer test image for use with the Datacolor SpyderPrint spectrocolorimeter. Check linearity and black and white print performance with Photoshop & Affinity Photo
- What goes into a print What goes into a photo print - getting more from your prints. Looking at printers, image preparation and just what makes a print worth going on your wall. Why are you making prints and who are they for?
- Tilt-shift and moving beyond the small world look The model world style of photos taken with lens tilt is but a small part of what can be achieved with a tilt-shift lens. Controlling and using lens tilt is not the black art some seem to think...
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- Laowa 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO Venus Optics have announced the Laowa 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO lens for APS-C mirrorless Fuji X, Canon M and Sony E-mount cameras. Equivalent to a 100mm full frame field of view
- Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Manual focus lens for EF and F mount Site Notice: Like many working photographers, our work has completely dried up in these challenging times, so I'll be at home a lot. The silver lining is that I've lots of articles...
- Nikon D780 announced Nikon announce the D780, the successor to the D750 DSLR. 24.5MP DSLR matches Nikon Z6 mirrorless camera
- BenQ SW321C monitor BenQ have annunced the 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3
- ZY Optics Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X lens ZY Optics have announced the Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X 'Super Macro' lens for Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A, Pentax K, Sony E, M43, Fuji X and EOS-M mounts. Specialist macro-only lens
- New RF mount Laowa lenses Venus Optics have announced three of their lenses are now available in Canon RF and Nikon Z mount for mirrorless cameras. They are the 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D, 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro and 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro - Keith has reviewed all three lenses in EF mount
- Canon camera firmware security updates Canon has released a number of camera firmware updates that address potential issues in their picture transfer protocol. The update includes all previous firmware updates for your camera.
- DxO Nik plugin update DxO have announced a Nik plugin update to V2.3. Better support for high res screens and new presets for Silver Effex Pro. Full MacOS Catalina support
- Canon EOS Ra camera Canon announce the Canon EOS Ra camera. A 30MP EOS R modified for improved H-Alpha response (deep red) for astrophotography applications. Due December 2019
- Samyang 14mm AF for RF mount Samyang announce the AF 14mm F2.8 RF wide angle lens. Their first AF lens using the Canon RF mirrorless mount. Includes a dock mount for firmware updates. Sold under the Rokinon brand in the US
- Canon 1D X Mark III development Canon have released a 1D X Mark III development announcement for the successor to the 1D X mk2 pro level camera. Initial features and camera functionality outlined. Release date TBA
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)