...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PureRAW announcedDxO have announced PureRAW, a basic RAW image processing program designed for use with other image editing programs. Offering the demosaicing, lens correction and noise reduction options without the image editing of PhotoLab
- Topaz Gigapixel AI V5.5Topaz Gigapixel AI has been updated to Version 5.5.0 - It's appreciably faster on newer hardware and add a a new processing model that may work better on some image sources and types
- Canon EOS R3 developmentCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: Why prints come out wrong and what to doKeith looks at the top reasons photo prints don't come out right, along with the steps needed to fix your print problems. Based on years of sorting out print problems for photographers (22m 30s)
- Video: Where are the high quality A4 photo printersWhy you don't get high quality photo and fine art printers at A4 or Letter size. What features do you get with larger printers apart from the ability to make larger sizes photo prints (6m 30s)
- Video: What printer marketing doesn’t tell youWhat printer marketing doesn't say. Keith Cooper looks how much better prints you will get from a new printer and why it probably won't be significantly different from the last model (13m 20s)
- Video: Skill without marketing isn’t a businessProfessional photography as a profitable business - Why your photo skills, without proper marketing, count very little towards your business success (9m 50s)
- Video: What sorts of photo work not to doProfessional photography as a business - The importance of choosing what what sorts of work not to do and how it helps you plan your future business (12m 40s)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Epson XP-15000Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on the Epson XP-15000 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(9m 35s)
- Video: From landscape to printKeith looks a the whole process of making a black & white landscape print, from stopping to admire the view, taking some photos, editing and processing them through to paper choices & printing (32m 16s)
- Book Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash PhotographyBook Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash Photography by Richard Bradbury. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographic lighting
- Printer Test ImagesCollection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- K&F ND2-32 variable ND filter reviewReview of the K&F ND2-ND32 variable neutral density (ND) filter. 1 to 5 stops of additional exposure. 82mm version tested on a TS-E24mm shift lens. Examples show why you might use such a filter
- Review Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lampReview of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp. CCT mode 2500K-9000K, RGB colour, internally powered (USB-C charging), remote control phone app via bluetooth. ~130g weight
- Dye inks or pigment inks for photo printingWould a dye based ink printer or one using pigment inks be better for your photo printing. What prints look best on what printer ink type?
- Topaz Sharpen AI V3 reviewReview update for Topaz Sharpen AI V3 Image sharpening and shake removal software updated to improve the correction algorithms. Used by Keith for tilt/shift lenses and occasional camera shake
- BenQ SW321C monitor reviewKeith reviews the BenQ 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3. It has a wide range of inputs and features hardware calibration.
- Epson XP-15000 printer reviewKeith Cooper's review of the Epson XP-15000 printer for photo printing, The A3+ or 13" width printer uses dye based inks with an extra red and grey ink. The review concentrates on using the printer for high quality photo output rather than it's 'office printer' functionality
- Rogeti CAP GZA-1 geared pan headRogeti CAP GZA-1 Pan head with geared Arca Swiss style locking clamp. Full 360 degree geared rotation. Matches the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and accessories.
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- DxO PhotoLab 2.2 updateDxO PhotoLab V2.2 image editing software update improves functionality and adds new image management tools. Includes Nikon Z6 and EOS R
- Three new Tamron lenses announcedTamron have announced three new lenses, due mid 2019. Two Nikon/canon mount SP 35mm F1.4, 35-150mm F2.8-4 and E-mount 17-28mm F2.8 III
- Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 SNikkor Z 24-70mm F2.8 S lens announced for the Nikon Z mirrorless camera system. 17 elements, 15 groups Due April 2019
- Canon EOS RP AnnouncedThe Canon EOS RP 26MP full frame mirrorless camera has been announced. Much smaller than any previous Canon full frame camera, available March 2019
- Datacolor Spyder X announcedDatacolor have announced their latest Spyder X monitor and projector calibration system, the Spyder X. Improved speed and profiling accuracy are claimed
- Irix Edge light pollution filtersIrix have announced their new Edge light pollution filters. These cut light at the specific yellow colour associated with low pressure sodium lighting, which is widely used in street lighting.
- Nikon 14-30 F4 S announcedA new Z mount Nikon 14-30 F4 S ultra-wide zoom is announced at CES. The full frame mirrorless lens takes filters (82mm) and weighs 485g. Nikon also announce a 'Z6 filmmaker's kit'
- ProGrade dual SD card readerProGrade high speed dual SD card reader is announced. Interface is high speed USB 3.1 (USB3 compatible). Reader is UHS I/II card compatible. Use two cards at once and make use of high speed transfers
- Canon SDK updatedCanon Europe announces a new SDK and API Package for Developers. Software Development Kit (SDK) adds SX70 HS to supported cameras. incl. camera control API
- Kipon MF lens adaptersKipon have added Nikon Z and Canon RF mounts to their medium format lens adapter range. Use popular MF lenses with focal reducers for full frame cameras
- Mitakon Speedmaster 65mm f1.4 for GFXZY Optics announce their Mitakon Speedmaster 65mm f/1.4 lens for Fuji GFX medium format cameras (G mount).
- Samyang XP 35mm f/1.2 announcedSamyang XP 35mm f/1.2 lens announced for Canon EF mount. Fast wide aperture manual focus lens designed for 8k video and sensors in excess of 50MP. Fourth in the XP series.
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US