...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Datacolor colour management surveyDatacolor is running a survey (UK only) for photographers, asking about colour management use. For replies up to Christmas 2021 there is also an entry to a prize draw
- Canon RF 5.2mm dual fisheye VR lensCanon RF 5.2mm dual fisheye VR lens announced for stereoscopic 3D virtual reality (VR) capture on a single camera sensor
- 2 new Canon RF lensesTwo new Canon RF lenses RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 ($650) and 16mm F2.8 ($300) for mirrorless RF mount cameras. Light weight and compact
- Canon EOS R3 mirrorless camera announcedThe Canon R3 mirrorless camera is announced. The EOS R3 is set at the top of the EOS R range between R5 and EOS 1DX mk3. Includes accessories launched at the same time
- New RF Laowa Argus 35mm f/0.95Venus Optics have announced the new Laowa Argus 35mm f/0.95 for full frame mirrorless cameras including RF mount. The lens is available in other mounts
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: The best ET-8550 printsVideo: Keith looks how the get the very best Epson ET-8550 prints from your printer. What media works well and what settings do you need (16m 23s)
- Book Review: The photography exercise bookBook review and video: The photography exercise book by Bert Krages. Training your eye to shoot like a pro. Subjects to study and photograph that will help train your photographic vision and produce the photos you want (and know why)
- Book review – Marketing and promotionBook Review: The Photographer's Guide to Marketing and Self-Promotion (Maria Piscopo) Reviewed by Keith Cooper, professional commercial photographer and author of many of our business related articles. Includes short video review
- Video: Canon G550 ccStudio profilesKeith looks at making icc printer profiles with the Canon G550 (G500 series - inc. G640/650 etc). Making ccStudio profiles (i1Studio/Colormunki as was) for improved colour and B&W prints (38m)
- Video: What makes a better printerVideo: Keith looks at what features make for a better printer and why many of them are nowhere near as important as some people think. More inks, grey inks - what matters (15m 12s)
- K&F Magnetic ND1000 filter reviewReview of the K&F Concept magnetic ND1000 10 stop neutral density filter for longer exposures. 82mm low profile glass lens filter with magnetic quick attach/release system.
- Video: Canon G550 panoramic printsKeith looks at making panoramic prints with the Canon G550 (inc G650, G620). Using custom paper sizes up to 1.2 metres (4 feet) long (12m 03s)
- Review: Pixel K80 LED lighting panelReview and video of the Pixel K80 LED lighting panel with white variable colour temperature settings and RGB colour lamp settings. Wireless control. Battery and mains power
- Epson P5000 error code 1433 repairEpson P5000 error code 1433. After intermittent recurring 1433 error codes , the P5000 printer needs a replacement capping station.
- Detailed Canon G550 printer reviewFull Canon G550 printer review. The A4 sized six ink MegaTank printer is filled from individual bottles of dye based inks. Black/grey/red/cyan/magenta/yellow inks. The G650 is the same printer but with a scanner. It has different G5xx model numbers in other regions.
- Simple Inkjet printer cleaningSimple Inkjet printer cleaning. Cleaning old, clogged and dried up ink from inkjet printers using commonly available household cleaning products. Common solvents and additives quickly cut though ink buildup. A look at different household cleaners and how they can help shift dried up printer ink
- Nikon PC-E teleconverter modification (24/45/85mm)Adapting and modifying a Nikon teleconverter to use with Nikon 24mm, 45mm and 85mm PC-E tilt-shift lenses. PC-E teleconverter use. Simple hack needs screwdriver and a small file.
- Nikon PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED reviewReview and video review of the Nikon PC-E Nikkor 25mm f/2.8D ED tilt/shift lens. Nikon F mount full frame perspective correction lens for FX DSLRs / mirrorless. Tested on the Nikon Z7 mirrorless camera
- Epson ET-8550 printer reviewFull review of the Epson ET-8550 EcoTank printer. The 13"/A3+ six ink printer includes both pigment and dye based black inks which are filled from 70ml bottles of ink.
- Rogeti CAP-MLS linear stageRogeti CAP-MLS Micro-positioning Linear Stage 180mm with 132mm movement. Arca type dovetail mount matches RG-1 geared head and other Rogeti accessories
- Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED reviewReview of the Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED tilt/shift lens. Nikon F mount full frame perspective correction lens for FX DSLRs / mirrorless. Tested on the Nikon Z7 mirrorless camera
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Epson SC-P8500D and SC-T7700D announcedEpson have announced the SureColor SC-P8500D and SC-T7700D 44" printers. Dual roll support in compact sized printers designed to be used flush against a wall with all functions accessible from the front
- Datacolor photo accessories announcedDatacolor have announced a range of new photo accessories, including a small tripod, accessory stand and USB C adapter. Available individually or in a kit
- DxO Updates Nik softwareDxO have announced DxO Nik collection 4, with more preset options and expanded U-Point functionality for use with Photoshop and Lightroom
- DxO PureRAW announcedDxO have announced PureRAW, a basic RAW image processing program designed for use with other image editing programs. Offering the demosaicing, lens correction and noise reduction options without the image editing of PhotoLab
- Topaz Gigapixel AI V5.5Topaz Gigapixel AI has been updated to Version 5.5.0 - It's appreciably faster on newer hardware and add a a new processing model that may work better on some image sources and types
- Canon EOS R3 developmentCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
- Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8 announced, for attaching HC/HCD lenses to X or 907X with 0.8x focal reducer. It increases lens maximum aperture by ~2/3 stop
- Laowa 15mm shift lensVenus Lens announce the Laowa 15mm f4.5 Zero-D Shift lens. The widest full frame shift lens available, part of their Zero Distortion range. Available in Canon EF and Nikon F mount
- Canon PRO-200 printer announcedCanon Pixma PRO-200 printer is announced. The A3+ 13" printer uses a dye based ink set with 8 inks, with enhanced colour and black density. It replaces the PRO-100 printer
- DxO PhotoLab 4 announcedDxO have announced PhotoLab 4 the latest version of their photo editing software, which in itself succeeded DxO Optics Pro. The new software improves many aspects of RAW file decoding and noise reduction
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US