...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Datacolor photo accessories announcedDatacolor have announced a range of new photo accessories, including a small tripod, accessory stand and USB C adapter. Available individually or in a kit
- DxO Updates Nik softwareDxO have announced DxO Nik collection 4, with more preset options and expanded U-Point functionality for use with Photoshop and Lightroom
- DxO PureRAW announcedDxO have announced PureRAW, a basic RAW image processing program designed for use with other image editing programs. Offering the demosaicing, lens correction and noise reduction options without the image editing of PhotoLab
- Topaz Gigapixel AI V5.5Topaz Gigapixel AI has been updated to Version 5.5.0 - It's appreciably faster on newer hardware and add a a new processing model that may work better on some image sources and types
- Canon EOS R3 developmentCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: Using a colour test imageKeith looks at print evaluation using a known good test image. The test print has parts for testing many different aspects of print quality, and can even show problems with monitor setup as well.(11m 43s)
- Video: What are ICC paper profiles forHow the right ICC printer profiles help you make better and more consistent prints of your photos. Why printer profiles don't make all papers look the same and why your choice of paper has so much bearing on the final look of the print (15 mins)
- Video: Epson ET-8550 ReviewReview: Keith Cooper looks at the Epson ET-8550 EcoTank printer - A3+/13 inch width. Review covers features, capabilities and print quality (46m 34s) Includes links to all of Keith's ET-8550 related videos
- Video: Nikon PC-E 24mmKeith Cooper looks at performance and how to use the Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED tilt/shift or perspective control lens on the mirrorless Z7 camera (22m 32s)
- Video: Epson ET-8550 setupKeith Cooper looks Epson ET-8550 A3+ (13 inch width) EcoTank multifunction printer setup and initial installation. Includes filling the ink tanks and networking (25m 43s)
- Video: Skills and changes in your photo businessProfessional photography as a changing business - Two videos: Changing your skills, and learning new ones (10m 30s) and changing your business models over time (5m 40s)
- Video: Why prints come out wrong and what to doKeith looks at the top reasons photo prints don't come out right, along with the steps needed to fix your print problems. Based on years of sorting out print problems for photographers (22m 30s)
- Rogeti CAP-MLS linear stageRogeti CAP-MLS Micro-positioning Linear Stage 180mm with 132mm movement. Arca type dovetail mount matches RG-1 geared head and other Rogeti accessories
- Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED reviewReview of the Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED tilt/shift lens. Nikon F mount full frame perspective correction lens for FX DSLRs / mirrorless. Tested on the Nikon Z7 mirrorless camera
- Epson EcoTank ET-8550 printer setupInstallation of the Epson EcoTank ET-8550, A3+ 13" width, 6 ink printer. Initial setup, loading of the inks from bottles and software / driver / networking setup.
- XTAR SN4 USB camera battery chargerXTAR SN4 USB camera battery charger comes with 45W USB-C PD type main power supply and assorted battery adapters for charging up to 4 batteries at a time
- Book Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash PhotographyBook Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash Photography by Richard Bradbury. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographic lighting
- Printer Test ImagesCollection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- K&F ND2-32 variable ND filter reviewReview of the K&F ND2-ND32 variable neutral density (ND) filter. 1 to 5 stops of additional exposure. 82mm version tested on a TS-E24mm shift lens. Examples show why you might use such a filter
- Review Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lampReview of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp. CCT mode 2500K-9000K, RGB colour, internally powered (USB-C charging), remote control phone app via bluetooth. ~130g weight
- Dye inks or pigment inks for photo printingWould a dye based ink printer or one using pigment inks be better for your photo printing. What prints look best on what printer ink type?
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
- Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8 announced, for attaching HC/HCD lenses to X or 907X with 0.8x focal reducer. It increases lens maximum aperture by ~2/3 stop
- Laowa 15mm shift lensVenus Lens announce the Laowa 15mm f4.5 Zero-D Shift lens. The widest full frame shift lens available, part of their Zero Distortion range. Available in Canon EF and Nikon F mount
- Canon PRO-200 printer announcedCanon Pixma PRO-200 printer is announced. The A3+ 13" printer uses a dye based ink set with 8 inks, with enhanced colour and black density. It replaces the PRO-100 printer
- DxO PhotoLab 4 announcedDxO have announced PhotoLab 4 the latest version of their photo editing software, which in itself succeeded DxO Optics Pro. The new software improves many aspects of RAW file decoding and noise reduction
- EOS M50 mkIIInformation, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 Mk2 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- Nikon Z6 II and Z7 IINikon have announced Z6 II and Z7 II full frame (FX) cameras. The updates for the Z6/Z7 mirrorless cameras improve performance and add 2nd card slots.
- EOS C70 4K video camera announcedCanon have announced the EOS C70 4K video camera - The device is the first R mount Cinema EOS camera with a Super 35m format sensor giving 16+ Stops of Total Dynamic Range
- New L mount Laowa lensesLaowa have announced 'L' mount versions of six of their lenses. 3 wide angle lenses and 3 macro lenses for Panasonic S1 series , Sigma FP and Leica SL/CL. Keith has reviews of the EF mount versions of several of them.
- Nikon Z5 announcedNikon anounces the Z5, a 24MP full frame mirrorless camera. Entry level full frame camera along with the NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 lens
- Four new Canon RF lensesFour new Canon RF lenses and two RF Extender are announced. 100-500 f/4.5-7.1, 600/11mm, 800/11mm, 85 f/2mm macro, RF1.4x, RF 2x
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US