...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Canon EOS R3 development announcementCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
- Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8 announced, for attaching HC/HCD lenses to X or 907X with 0.8x focal reducer. It increases lens maximum aperture by ~2/3 stop
- Laowa 15mm shift lensVenus Lens announce the Laowa 15mm f4.5 Zero-D Shift lens. The widest full frame shift lens available, part of their Zero Distortion range. Available in Canon EF and Nikon F mount
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: K&F ND2-32 variable ND filterUsing a variable (ND2-ND32) neutral density filter. Allowing for slower shutter speeds to blur movement and wider apertures to emphasise lens tilt or shallow depth of field (7m)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Canon PRO-200Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on Canon Pixma PRO-200 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(12m 40s)
- Video: Using old lenses on modern camerasHow mount adapters let you use old lenses with modern cameras both DSLR and mirrorless. Using old lenses on new cameras and why it's fun to experiment (15m)
- Video: Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lightingKeith looks at some features of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp for photographic lighting. A white light CCT mode allows a colour temperature setting from 2500K-9000K. An RGB colour mode allows setting of colours in RGB and HSL modes. (7m 30s)
- Video: Printing and editing wide gamut imagesKeith Cooper looks at printing and editing wide gamut colourful images: Monitor choices and settings, working spaces, printer colour profiles and aspects of soft proofing (22m)
- Video: Differentiating your photo businessStanding out from the crowd - why specialise & differentiate your photography business from the rest. What helps your business profitability and is it a big enough niche. Does Keith need a new hat? (9m 20s)
- Video: Are third party inks worth it?Keith Cooper looks at ink choices for inkjet printers and asks if third party or 'compatible' inks are really worth trying, or are they a false economy if print quality and consistency matters? (7m 30s)
- K&F ND2-32 variable ND filter reviewReview of the K&F ND2-ND32 variable neutral density (ND) filter. 1 to 5 stops of additional exposure. 82mm version tested on a TS-E24mm shift lens. Examples show why you might use such a filter
- Review Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lampReview of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp. CCT mode 2500K-9000K, RGB colour, internally powered (USB-C charging), remote control phone app via bluetooth. ~130g weight
- Dye inks or pigment inks for photo printingWould a dye based ink printer or one using pigment inks be better for your photo printing. What prints look best on what printer ink type?
- Topaz Sharpen AI V3 reviewReview update for Topaz Sharpen AI V3 Image sharpening and shake removal software updated to improve the correction algorithms. Used by Keith for tilt/shift lenses and occasional camera shake
- BenQ SW321C monitor reviewKeith reviews the BenQ 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3. It has a wide range of inputs and features hardware calibration.
- Epson XP-15000 printer reviewKeith Cooper's review of the Epson XP-15000 printer for photo printing, The A3+ or 13" width printer uses dye based inks with an extra red and grey ink. The review concentrates on using the printer for high quality photo output rather than it's 'office printer' functionality
- Rogeti CAP GZA-1 geared pan headRogeti CAP GZA-1 Pan head with geared Arca Swiss style locking clamp. Full 360 degree geared rotation. Matches the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and accessories.
- Rogeti 360 Panoramic head reviewKeith Cooper looks a the Rogeti 360 panoramic head. The solidly built head is lightweight (~760g) and enables multi-row panoramic shots to be taken with ease
- Canon PRO-200 printer reviewDetailed Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 printer review. Keith tests the PRO-300 pigment ink printer with a range of glossy and fine-art media, including panoramic prints up to 990mm (~39") long
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Nikon Z50Nikon have announced the 20MP Z50, their first DX sensor Z series mirrorless camera. It uses the Z mount for lenses, the announcement includes two APS-C (DX) Z mount lenses.
- Epson P7500 and P9500 printersEpson announces P7500 and P9500 12 colour large format printers. 24 inch and 44 inch width printers with hew 12 colour ink set and no black switching. Printers also referred to as P7570 and P9570 in some regions
- X-Rite updates display calibrator rangeX-Rite has updated its display calibrator product range, including support for much brighter screens. Products are aimed at photographers and filmmakers
- Canon EOS M200Canon announces the EOS M200 mirrorless APS-C camera. A 24MP camera bundled with the 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM lens. Successor to EOS M100 mirrorless
- Phase One XT camera systemPhase One announces the XT medium format camera system. It comes with the 100/150MP IQ4 back and three lenses, and with a body unit offering ±12mm of lens shift.
- Canon RF lenses 15-35 and 24-70Canon has announced the details for two RF lenses: the RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM. Both include dust and weather resistance, and a stated 5 stops of optical image stabilisation.
- X-Rite i1Pro 3 Plus optionsX-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets, it is available in i1Basic and i1Profiler kit options for screen and print profiling
- Topaz Studio 2Topaz have announced Studio 2 The new version of their creative image editing software incorporates all previous adjustments. Free trial version available
- New Laowa 15mm F2 and 10-18mm lensesVenus Optics have announced two new Laowa wide angle 15mm F2 and 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 lenses for Nikon Z and Canon RF mount mirrorless cameras
- BenQ SW270C monitor announcedBenQ SW270C PhotoVue 27" monitor announced. With 99% Adobe98 and 97% DCI-P3/Display-P3 colour space coverage. HDR-10 and 16 bit 3D LUT
- Sigma fp L mount camera announcedSigma have announced the 'fp' L mount camera. The full frame ultra compact mirrorless is 113 x 70 x 45mm and weighs 370 grams. Captures 14 bit DNG files
- Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USMCanon have announced the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM zoom lens for the RF mount. It will cost £900/$900 and be available for September 2019. Also available as a kit option for the EOS RP
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US