...Sign up for our (ad free) Newsletter to hear about new articles and subscribe to my YouTube Channel
...My book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available for pre-order.
The books further down the page are the personal recommendations of Keith Cooper (they are on his bookshelf and well thumbed). They should be available at any good bookstore, so do have a look.
Keith has also included other book reviews covering different aspects of photography and aimed at different levels of expertise.
Old photography books from 2nd hand bookshops make up a big part of our book collection – just because it’s film doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from looking at good photos…
See the main blog page for Keith’s photography articles and reviews
- Book Review: Isle of Skye – Photographer’s guideBook Review: Isle of Skye and NW Scotland - Photographer's guide by David Hickey. Locations, maps and tours with detailed photographic tips and suggestions covering equipment, photography and image processing.
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Landscape PhotographyBook Review: 52 Assignments, Landscape Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas relating to Landscape photography. Lots of suggestions to help expand your photography and experiment.
- Book Review: Everything about taking PhotographsBook Review: 'Everything you always wanted to know about taking better photographs', '50 images and 50 explanations' by Antony Zacharias. £12.99 Ammonite press October 2019
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Street PhotographyBook Review: 52 Assignments, Street Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas helping you explore different aspects of street photography. Challenge your photo comfort zones.
- Book Review: Hasselblad and the moon landingBook Review: Hasselblad and the moon landings. photographs and the story of the cameras that didn't return from the Apollo moon landings
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Experimental PhotographyBook Review: 52 Assignments, Experimental Photography. 52 project ideas to help you explore different aspects of photography, film and digital. with low and high tech ideas and hacks
- Book Review: Masters of Drone PhotographyBook Review: Masters of Drone Photography. Collected photographs and commentary from specialist drone photography experts. Practical advice about mastering your own drone work.
Photography business related books
- Book Review: The photography exercise bookBook Review: The photography exercise book by Bert Krages. Training your eye to shoot like a pro. Subjects to study and photograph that will help train your photographic vision and produce the photos you want (and know why)
- Book Review: Starting Your Career as a Freelance PhotographerBook review: Starting Your Career as a Freelance Photographer (Tad Crawford, Chuck DeLaney) Just how do you run a photography business. What things do you need to address? How will you market and sell your services, and make your business last.
- Book review – Marketing and promotionBook Review: The Photographer's Guide to Marketing and Self-Promotion (Maria Piscopo) Reviewed by Keith Cooper, professional commercial photographer and author of many of our business related articles
- Book Review On Being a PhotographerKeith Cooper reviews the book 'On Being a Photographer: A Practical Guide' by Bill Jay and David Hurn ISBN-13: 978-1888803068
- Book Review Make money with your digital photography Erin ManningKeith Cooper reviews Make money with your digital photography by Erin Manning, a comprehensive guide and introduction to the business of photography
Some of Keith’s favourite books
These are older books that don’t have full reviews, but are still favourites on Keith’s bookshelves. Always worth looking out for in 2nd hand lists if you can’t find them new.
A marvellous book by Terry Hope, that brings together a collection of works by different photographers with their own comments.
Read it and you will soon be reaching for the camera…
ISBN: 2880464803 (UK edition)
ISBN: 1883403685 (US edition)
A classic from Ansel Adams.
Many techniques and concepts are applicable to the production of digital images.
Photoshop for Photographers – Martin Evening
Learn many of the features of Photoshop — written from a photographer’s perspective. Comprehensive and clearly written. The section on colour management (valid even for black and white) is particularly clear in its coverage of an area that many find mysterious. Includes CD with additional material.
There are versions from Photoshop 6 through to CC and I think I’ve many on the bookshelf.
- Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers
A Tree, a Blade of Grass
Collection of colour photographs by Shinzo Maeda. Images of the Japanese landscape.
It’s a book that I never tire of just picking up and browsing. I really do look forward to visiting Japan one day…
Mastering Digital Printing
“The Photographer’s and Artist’s Guide to High-Quality Digital Output” An extremely comprehensive guide to what can be achieved in the digital realm. Covers all the major technologies and techniques. Excellent choice for both amateurs and pros alike.
By Harald Johnson
Real World Colour Management
I often get asked for suggestions about learning more about the nuts and bolts of Colour Management.
My usual suggestion is Bruce Fraser’s Real World Colour Management.
My own copy is well thumbed. It’s my first port of call if I’m asked a question and I feel I don’t quite understand an issue well enough to be absolutely sure of an answer.
Real World Camera Raw
By Bruce Fraser (who is much missed)
- Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS3
Photoshop Masking & Compositing
Possibly ‘the’ book on masking. An essential element of much photo manipulation.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon affiliate. so receive commission on any purchases you make