What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 announced Samyang have announced a new AF 85mm F1.4 lens in Canon EF mount. At 485g weight and 72mm long, it is smaller than other Canon mount 85mm 1.4 lenses
- Datacolor Colour management survey How does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Two new Canon EF 70-200 Lenses Canon launches EF 70-200 F4L IS II and EF 70-200 F2.8L IS III lenses. New versions of Canon's 70-200mm 'L' series telephoto zoom
- DxO Nik collection and PhotoLab The DxO Nik collection image editing plugins are updated for compatibility with modern editing software. DxO PhotoLab image editing software is updated to V1.2 with U Point local image adjustments.
- HP Launches new Designjet Z series HP has launched a new Designjet Z series of large format printers. The Z6 and Z9+ printers are aimed at photos graphics and technical printing. Printers will be available in June/July
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- 5Ds or 5Ds R – worth the extra cost? A very quick comparison of an identical shot with the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R shows differences - are they worth the extra you have to pay?
- Fotospeed Metallic Lustre paper review Fotospeed Metallic Lustre 275 gsm paper review. A microporous coated paper with a metallic lustre surface finish, for dye and pigment inks. A4 sheet to 44" roll sizes available
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
- BenQ SW240 monitor review BenQ SW240 monitor review. 24 inch 1920 x 1200 resolution, wide Adobe98 (99%) gamut, hardware calibration with supplied calibration software. An optional shading hood is available.
- TS-E 90mm F2.8L Macro review Review of the Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L macro tilt/shift lens. How to use the ±10 degrees of tilt and ±12mm of shift offered by the macro lens, Includes comparisons with the original TS-E90mm F2.8 lens
- Review: Benro GD3WH geared head Review of the Benro GD3WH geared tripod head. Three axis geared adjustment with up to 6kg of camera gear supported. Arca Swiss style adapter plate for quick release. Head weighs under 2 pounds in weight.
- Canon imagePROGRAF TX-3000 review Testing the Canon TX-3000 36" width printer. Keith Cooper reviews the Canon TX wide format printer and plotter for photo and graphics printing. Also covers the 24" TX-2000 printer and 44" TX-4000
- Looking for a bigger photo printer Important questions to ask yourself when looking for a bigger photo printer wider than 13 inch width or A3+. Things that it's useful to know if you want a 17" (A2) or larger printer, it's about more than just bigger prints.
- So, can you start a photography business So, can you start a photography business? Will it last? Are you sure you know the difference between photography as a hobby and running a successful and profitable photography business. Some of the things you need to think about.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Google calls time on the Nik plugins Google has announced that the Nik collection of image editing plugins will no longer be updated or extended
- Topaz Studio image editor Topaz Studio image editor and plugin that also works stand alone and integrates Topaz plugins. Free and paid versions available
- Laowa GFX lens format converter The Laowa Magic Format Converter (MFC) expands the image circle of Canon EF and Nikon F lenses to cover the larger image circle of the Fuji GFX-50 MF camera
- Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM announced New Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM announced - lens with built in LED lighting system, hybrid image stabilisation and quiet STM focus drive
- Irix 11mm f4 lens details announced Irix announce details of their new 11mm f/4 ultra wide angle lens. Available in two different body version 'Firefly' and 'Blackstone' Due to be shown at 'The Photography Show' in the UK in March
- Laowa lens products at the CP Plus show The CP+ show is running in Japan, and amongst the products on display are a range of new lenses from Laowa (Venus lens). A 25mm 2.5-5x macro, 15/2.8 Sony FE, 24mm relay lens, tilt and shift converters and a 7.5mm f2 MFT lens.
- New Canon large format Mac-Win printer software New software and drivers released for Canon large format printers which also fixes MacOS 10.12 colour management issues. Supports x400 series and x300 series printers and iPF5100
- MacPhun Aurora HDR offers Macphun Aurora HDR creation software and training resources - special offer until Apr 1st 2017 Aurora + Trey Ratcliff's HDR Tutorial 3.0 for $89. Just remember: HDR does not need to be tawdry to be a useful tool!
- New Sigma lenses due at CP+ Sigma announce four new lenses for the forthcoming CP+ show in Japan. New 14mm F1.8 | 135mm F1.8 | 24-70mm F2.8 expand their top end 'Art' range, with a 100-400mm F5-6.3 lens in the 'Contemporary' set.
- Keith Cooper’s talks about printmaking Keith Cooper talks about making large prints at The Photography Show 2017 - Getting great looking big prints from your work. From camera to print, the complete workflow
- Datacolor new profiling software updates Datacolor have announced new upgrade options for their Spyder 5 PRO and Spyder 5 Elite monitor calibrators. We've full reviews of the Spyder 5 PRO (and upgrade) and Spyder 5 Elite and will be adding details about the Spyder 5 Elite+ update in due course.
- Mitakon 20mm F2 macro lens Zhongyi Optics (ZY Optics) has released a new compact Super Macro Lens for full frame cameras, the Zhongyi Mitakon 20mm f/2 4.5x Super Macro Lens featuring a high reproduction ratio up to 4.5:1
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks