What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- Dual illuminant DNG profiles Quickly creating DNG dual illuminant camera profiles for testing lenses, cameras, & lighting under variable lighting conditions. using an X-Rite colorchecker card and their free camera calibrations software.
- Disk Drill recovery and photo backups Disk Drill file and photo recovery software and photo backups for Macintosh and Windows. Backup strategies for photographers, so you shouldn't be caught out
- ImageNest RIP review: V5 update Imagenest Version 5. Mac based RIP handles image layout and sizing for printing to any connected printer. Image nesting and full control over colour management.
- Upsizing and sharpening for making a print Editing, sharpening and upsizing part of an old digital photo from a 10MP camera to make an A2 sized print. Image resizing for larger prints and why your editing workflow matters.
- Topaz Sharpen AI update Topaz Sharpen AI image sharpening software updated to V2. Adds batch processing and masking of the images sharpening. Smart sharpening and shake reduction
- Using effects lens filters After being given some assorted lens filters dating back to film days, Keith wonders if they are still of any use with modern digital cameras and how B&W film 'emulation' has its limits.
- Fixing converging verticals without a shift lens Simple image edits can simulate the results of using a shift lens, if you edit your image the right way and can tolerate the need to crop the resulting image.
- Teleconverters and lens tilt Lens tilt using extenders such as the Canon Extender EF 1.4x III What are the effects of using teleconverters with tilt lenses such as the TS-E17, TS-E24mm and TS-E90mm
- Adapted lens – Soligor 300mm f5.5 Adapted lens experiments - Soligor 300mm f5.5 on an RF mount EOS RP mirrorless camera. Using adapters on a manual focus telephoto from 1975 on a modern mirrorless camera
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Three new Hasselblad XCD lenses Three new XCD lenses and 1.7x converter launched for the Hasselblad X1D-50c camera. XCD 80mm F1.9, the XCD 65mm F2.8 and XCD 135mm F2.8
- Novoflex lens adapters for EOS R and Nikon Z Novoflex announce a range of new lens adapters for manual lenses with Canon EOS R and Nikon Z mirrorless cameras.
- Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro lens Irix have announced a 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 lens, designed for full frame cameras with the Nikon F, Canon EF, and Pentax K mount.
- New Laowa lenses at photokina Venus optics announce some new Laowa lenses at photokina - 8 new lenses on show. Mounts from MFT to Fuji GFX and cine options
- Topaz AI Gigapixel – updated V1.1 Topaz AI Gigapixel - Image resizing software - updated to V1.1 now includes CPU and GPU processing options and more control of images noise and blur handling
- EF 400mm F2.8L IS III and EF 600mm F4L IS III Canon announces EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III & EF 600mm f/4L IS III lenses. New lighter and higher performance telephoto lenses
- Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens announced Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens is announced for EF-M cameras. Lightweight and compact 'standard' lens for the EF-M system
- Phase One iXM-RS150F Phase One announces the iXM-RS150F 150MP Aerial camera system. Single sensor and 4 band systems (RGB and NIR) Includes RS calibrated lenses
- Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 zoom announced Tamron have announced the SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041) zoom lens. The stabilised wide zoom is available in Nikon F and Canon EF mounts
- 150MP Phase One XF IQ4 100MP and 150MP Phase One XF IQ4 - new medium format digital backs from Phase One, includes 'Capture One image' based image processing.
- Hasselblad XV lens adapter for X1D-50c Hasselblad announce the XV lens adapter for X1D-50c compact medium format camera - supports the full line of C, CB, CF, CFI, CFE, F and FE lenses with X1D-50C electronic shutter
- Topaz AI Gigapixel upsizing Topaz have announced some smart new software for upscaling images called A.I. Gigapixel. It uses the power of your graphics card and neural network based techniques to achieve impressive resizing results. Keith written has a full review of it too.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)