What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Luminar – now for Windows too Macphun have announced a free open Beta test version of their Luminar photo editor that work on Windows PCs. Keith has reviewed Luminar (Mac version) in the past, so do have a look for a bit more detail of just what you can do with it, beyond some of the rather 'luminous' examples. It's actually capable of some very subtle adjustments.
- Nikon EN-EL15 battery advisory update Nikon have an updated product advisory for very specific versions of the EN-EL15 battery. cameras include D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 and the Nikon 1 V1
- Laowa Magic Shift Converter for Sony FE mount cameras Laowa announce a shift adapter that allows normal wide angle lenses to be used as shift lenses on Sony E mount cameras. 12mm f2.8 becomes 17mm f4 shift
- New Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 lens announced Tamron announces its latest 24-70mm F2.8 lens, model SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A032) due August 2017. Nikon and Canon mounts. Full specs including MTF charts
- Canon 6D mk2 and 200D Canon announce the 26MP full frame EOS 6D mk2 and the 24MP APS-C EOS 200D - two new DSLR cameras updating he 6D and 100D
- Micron kills off Lexar brand A Micron announcement looks to kill off the Lexar brand and cards and associated hardware. The Flash memory maker announces that it intends to drop the entire Lexar business line, but is open to offers...
- Luminar Neptune review update Luminar Neptune review update - The MacPhun Image editor version 1.2 adds new features, operating modes and overall performance. Follows on from Keith's full review
- BenQ monitor competition – trip to Venice Win a photographic trip to Venice courtesy of BenQ (European residents only) Celebrating the BenQ range of monitors
- Google calls time on the Nik plugins Google has announced that the Nik collection of image editing plugins will no longer be updated or extended
- Topaz Studio image editor Topaz Studio image editor and plugin that also works stand alone and integrates Topaz plugins. Free and paid versions available
- Laowa GFX lens format converter The Laowa Magic Format Converter (MFC) expands the image circle of Canon EF and Nikon F lenses to cover the larger image circle of the Fuji GFX-50 MF camera
- Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM announced New Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM announced - lens with built in LED lighting system, hybrid image stabilisation and quiet STM focus drive
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks