What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Laowa 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO Venus Optics have announced the Laowa 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO lens for APS-C mirrorless Fuji X, Canon M and Sony E-mount cameras. Equivalent to a 100mm full frame field of view
- Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Manual focus lens for EF and F mount Samyang have announced a 10mm F3.5 manual focus ultra-wide lens with a 130 degree field of view. The rectilinear lens is initially available in the Canon EF and Nikon F mount. Lens...
- Nikon D780 announced Nikon announce the D780, the successor to the D750 DSLR. 24.5MP DSLR matches Nikon Z6 mirrorless camera
- BenQ SW321C monitor BenQ have annunced the 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3
- ZY Optics Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X lens ZY Optics have announced the Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X 'Super Macro' lens for Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A, Pentax K, Sony E, M43, Fuji X and EOS-M mounts. Specialist macro-only lens
- Using old lenses on a modern DSLR/mirrorless camera Lens adapters allow you to use old lenses on a modern DSLR or mirrorless camera. Many old lenses work very well if you can live without autofocus. Performance varies, but it's possible to learn lot of use for the rest of your photography
- Fotodiox tilt-shift lens adapter Review of the Fotodiox TLT ROKR tilt-shift lens adapter for mounting medium format lenses on mirrorless cameras. M645 to Canon RF tested. Available also for M645 to Nikon Z along with many other lens/body combination.
- Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head review Review of the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and its camera mounting accessories. The head weighs 670g and supports up to 10kg of camera gear. compact and small design.
- K&F camera rucksack and travel bag The K&F camera rucksack and travel bag - what fits inside this twin compartment lightweight waterproof camera bag.
- Laowa RF 15mm F2 Zero-D Review of the Laowa RF 15mm f/2 Zero-D lens by Venus Optics. Tested on the Canon EOS RP. Wide angle manual focus lens for RF mount (also Nikon Z and Sony FE mounts)
- Rechargeable LED worklight for product photography A basic battery powered 15W LED worklight is tested for product photography. With over 3 hrs use on a charge, is the light quality good enough? The device doubles as a 6000mAh 22.2Wh USB powerbank
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Landscape Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Landscape Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas relating to Landscape photography. Lots of suggestions to help expand your photography and experiment.
- Rogeti TSE Frame V3+ Rogeti have made their TSE Frame lighter and easier to level. The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- L-Bracket for Canon 5DIV, 5Ds R and 5DIII The Rogeti QRL Series L-Bracket fits the Canon 5D mk4 5DS, 5DS R, and 5D mk3. Arca style fit with three built in levelling vials. Also available for Sony
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- EF 400mm F2.8L IS III and EF 600mm F4L IS III Canon announces EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III & EF 600mm f/4L IS III lenses. New lighter and higher performance telephoto lenses
- Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens announced Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens is announced for EF-M cameras. Lightweight and compact 'standard' lens for the EF-M system
- Phase One iXM-RS150F Phase One announces the iXM-RS150F 150MP Aerial camera system. Single sensor and 4 band systems (RGB and NIR) Includes RS calibrated lenses
- Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 zoom announced Tamron have announced the SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041) zoom lens. The stabilised wide zoom is available in Nikon F and Canon EF mounts
- 150MP Phase One XF IQ4 100MP and 150MP Phase One XF IQ4 - new medium format digital backs from Phase One, includes 'Capture One image' based image processing.
- Hasselblad XV lens adapter for X1D-50c Hasselblad announce the XV lens adapter for X1D-50c compact medium format camera - supports the full line of C, CB, CF, CFI, CFE, F and FE lenses with X1D-50C electronic shutter
- Topaz AI Gigapixel upsizing Topaz have announced some smart new software for upscaling images called A.I. Gigapixel. It uses the power of your graphics card and neural network based techniques to achieve impressive resizing results. Keith written has a full review of it too.
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)