Keith often gets asked about becoming a professional photographer.
As he usually says, it’s more about business acumen than photographic skills… and has written a number of articles specifically covering different aspects of setting up and running a photography business.
This page indexes all our business related articles and links to a few external sites that Keith has found helpful in this area.
Keith is always happy to answer questions about anything on the site – it’s often where he gets inspiration for all our articles.
Articles reflecting business aspects of photography
- An old friend returns? After the Jessops photo business folded in 2013, Leicester was left with no specialist photography stores. Jessops, founded here in 1935, are opening a new store.
- Photographs of Leicester – now in their own gallery After many requests for using Keith's photos of Leicester for stock photography and as large prints, we've created a new gallery site, just for photographs of Leicester.
- Brand new architectural photography site A whole new site for our architecture photos. After ten years of showcasing our architectural photography services on this site, we decided that it really was time for something newer and more visually appealing.
- Becoming a freelance photographer 5 Things to know - It's just over 10 years ago that I decided to put away my business suit and become a full time professional photographer. I'm still regularly asked how to do it, and what is needed.
Buying anything via our links costs you nothing more, but helps me expand the site. There is just myself writing and maintaining it. Our articles will always be free - If you use ad blockers - OK, but please consider supporting our site in some way? - Keith Visit the Deals & Offers page to see the latest I've found
Buying anything via our links costs you nothing more, but helps me expand the site. There is just myself writing and maintaining it.
Our articles will always be free - If you use ad blockers - OK, but please consider supporting our site in some way? - Keith
Visit the Deals & Offers page to see the latest I've found
Some of Keith’s personal views about photography
- Photos for architect’s web sites As an architectural photographer, Keith discusses what photos are for on architect's web sites. Based on a recent interview with a design agency, looking at why many small-medium practices fail to make the best impressions with their work.
- Making a living from professional photography Keith Cooper has now run Northlight Images for over ten years as a professional photographer. What makes the business work? and how do you need to approach it in order for it to be far more than a paid hobby.
- Taxis and your photo business How business models change. Why a ride sharing taxi application could signify big changes in photography or not.
- Local prints sell If you want to sell landscape photography, then local views will almost always sell better. Some observations about the business of selling prints.
Lighting, colour and web use of images
- Kaiser tabletop photo kit review 'Easyfit' tabletop product photography kit with shooting table and two continuous lights with diffusers. Basic product photo setup and examples of use.
- What is colour? Keith is often asked to give a quick explanation of colour management. This article gives a short overview of why it matters, and has links to the many detailed articles and equipment/software reviews on the site.
- On site product product photography Basic colour management and photography options for photographing large numbers of products out of the studio. Efficient setup reduces the processing needed
- What paper should I use? With a massive range of different papers available, how should you go about seeing which papers work best for your photos. Some of the choices you can consider when looking at paper types and brands for printing your photographs
Books and reviews for photographers with a business
- Book Review On Being a Photographer Keith Cooper reviews the book 'On Being a Photographer: A Practical Guide' by Bill Jay and David Hurn ISBN-13: 978-1888803068
- Book Review Make money with your digital photography Erin Manning Keith Cooper reviews Make money with your digital photography by Erin Manning, a comprehensive guide and introduction to the business of photography
It’s difficult keeping up with new editions and updates – whilst many of these books are still very relevant, others date faster, so do check the other options at the foot of the Amazon page for newer items.
Training – for companies
Training other people to take better photos means I have to reflect on my own work and practices – never a bad thing to do every so often.
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Useful external resources for photography businesses
- Model releases and commercial use – Great article by Dan Heller about why most of what you hear on the internet about the need for releases is rubbish
Some very pertinent information that Keith regularly points out to the many people who ask him about becoming a professional photographer.
- Business Link UK government advice and support for setting up your own business
- Business in Canada – useful advice, not just for Canada
- US Small Business Administration
All the latest articles and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog .
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all the specialist articles and reviews written by Keith Cooper.
Buying anything from Amazon (not just what's listed) via any of the links below helps Keith and Karen keep the site going - thanks if you do! [Amazon UK]