What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- New Sigma Art lenses Sigma announce a number of new lenses in their 'Art' category. A 105mm f1.4 with lens tripod collar. a 70mm f2.8 Macro and Sony E mount versions of many previous Art lenses
- Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI flash Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI flash auto bounce flash unit (GN47) automates bounce flash with motorised flash head options
- Canon announce EOS 2000D and 4000D Canon announce the 24MP EOS 2000D (T7) and the 18MP 4000D DSLR cameras. 2000D is the follow up to the 1300D (T6) whilst 4000D is a new entry level DSLR
- SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Sigma announces the SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM ultra wide angle zoom lens in its Art category. Available in Sigma, Canon EF and Nikon mounts
- Tamron 70-210mm F4 Di VC USD announced A new Tamron 70-210mm F4 Di VC USD (Model A034) zoom lens has been announced. For FF Canon and Nikon mounts. Image stabilisation to 5 stops
- Pentax K-1 Mark II announced Pentax have announced the K-1 Mark II. The 36MP full frame DSLR goes to ISO 819,200 and improved pixel shift multishot capability
- Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 lens Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 lens announcement Manual focus, for Canon EF mount. High resolution for 50MP+ and 8k video. 9 blade aperture
- Some benefits of Colour Management Datacolor survey with Leica forum users looks at the benefits of a colour managed workflow for photographers. Screen and print colour management
- Nikon 180-400 f4 TC lens announced Nikon announces the AF-S NIKKOR 180–400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, the first telephoto in the NIKKOR lens range with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter.
- Samyang AF 14mm F2.8EF Samyang have announced their first (autofocus) AF lens with the EF mount, the AF 14mm F2.8EF
- DxO to revive the Nik plugins DxO have confirmed that they are going to to revive the Nik plugins with new versions in 2018
- Yongnuo YN 14mm f/2.8 Ultra-wide Angle Prime Lens Yongnuo YN 14mm f/2.8 Ultra-wide angle prime lens with autofocus announced. Canon EF mount option shown
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks