...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Canon EOS R3 development announcementCanon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R3, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range positioned above the R5
- Nikon Z9 developmentNikon have announced development of the first flagship camera for the Nikon Z mount: The Nikon Z 9. The full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera is scheduled for release in 2021
- New RF Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RLVenus Optics have announced the Canon RF mount 11mm f/4.5 ukra wide angle lens. Only 63mm (~2.5 inches) long and weighing 254g (~8.9 oz.) The lens is available in other mounts
- Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8Hasselblad XH Converter 0,8 announced, for attaching HC/HCD lenses to X or 907X with 0.8x focal reducer. It increases lens maximum aperture by ~2/3 stop
- Laowa 15mm shift lensVenus Lens announce the Laowa 15mm f4.5 Zero-D Shift lens. The widest full frame shift lens available, part of their Zero Distortion range. Available in Canon EF and Nikon F mount
Videos by Keith. Reviews, info and tutorials
- Video: K&F ND2-32 variable ND filterUsing a variable (ND2-ND32) neutral density filter. Allowing for slower shutter speeds to blur movement and wider apertures to emphasise lens tilt or shallow depth of field (7m)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Canon PRO-200Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on Canon Pixma PRO-200 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(12m 40s)
- Video: Using old lenses on modern camerasHow mount adapters let you use old lenses with modern cameras both DSLR and mirrorless. Using old lenses on new cameras and why it's fun to experiment (15m)
- Video: Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lightingKeith looks at some features of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp for photographic lighting. A white light CCT mode allows a colour temperature setting from 2500K-9000K. An RGB colour mode allows setting of colours in RGB and HSL modes. (7m 30s)
- Video: Printing and editing wide gamut imagesKeith Cooper looks at printing and editing wide gamut colourful images: Monitor choices and settings, working spaces, printer colour profiles and aspects of soft proofing (22m)
- Video: Differentiating your photo businessStanding out from the crowd - why specialise & differentiate your photography business from the rest. What helps your business profitability and is it a big enough niche. Does Keith need a new hat? (9m 20s)
- Video: Are third party inks worth it?Keith Cooper looks at ink choices for inkjet printers and asks if third party or 'compatible' inks are really worth trying, or are they a false economy if print quality and consistency matters? (7m 30s)
- K&F ND2-32 variable ND filter reviewReview of the K&F ND2-ND32 variable neutral density (ND) filter. 1 to 5 stops of additional exposure. 82mm version tested on a TS-E24mm shift lens. Examples show why you might use such a filter
- Review Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lampReview of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp. CCT mode 2500K-9000K, RGB colour, internally powered (USB-C charging), remote control phone app via bluetooth. ~130g weight
- Dye inks or pigment inks for photo printingWould a dye based ink printer or one using pigment inks be better for your photo printing. What prints look best on what printer ink type?
- Topaz Sharpen AI V3 reviewReview update for Topaz Sharpen AI V3 Image sharpening and shake removal software updated to improve the correction algorithms. Used by Keith for tilt/shift lenses and occasional camera shake
- BenQ SW321C monitor reviewKeith reviews the BenQ 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3. It has a wide range of inputs and features hardware calibration.
- Epson XP-15000 printer reviewKeith Cooper's review of the Epson XP-15000 printer for photo printing, The A3+ or 13" width printer uses dye based inks with an extra red and grey ink. The review concentrates on using the printer for high quality photo output rather than it's 'office printer' functionality
- Rogeti CAP GZA-1 geared pan headRogeti CAP GZA-1 Pan head with geared Arca Swiss style locking clamp. Full 360 degree geared rotation. Matches the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and accessories.
- Rogeti 360 Panoramic head reviewKeith Cooper looks a the Rogeti 360 panoramic head. The solidly built head is lightweight (~760g) and enables multi-row panoramic shots to be taken with ease
- Canon PRO-200 printer reviewDetailed Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 printer review. Keith tests the PRO-300 pigment ink printer with a range of glossy and fine-art media, including panoramic prints up to 990mm (~39") long
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lensSamyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Manual focus lens for EF and F mount Site update: Thanks for all your support and help - Keith & Karen ...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel ...Keith's book about how to...
- Nikon D780 announcedNikon announce the D780, the successor to the D750 DSLR. 24.5MP DSLR matches Nikon Z6 mirrorless camera
- BenQ SW321C monitorBenQ have annunced the 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3
- ZY Optics Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X lensZY Optics have announced the Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X 'Super Macro' lens for Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A, Pentax K, Sony E, M43, Fuji X and EOS-M mounts. Specialist macro-only lens
- New RF mount Laowa lensesVenus Optics have announced three of their lenses are now available in Canon RF and Nikon Z mount for mirrorless cameras. They are the 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D, 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro and 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro - Keith has reviewed all three lenses in EF mount
- Canon camera firmware security updatesCanon has released a number of camera firmware updates that address potential issues in their picture transfer protocol. The update includes all previous firmware updates for your camera.
- DxO Nik plugin updateDxO have announced a Nik plugin update to V2.3. Better support for high res screens and new presets for Silver Effex Pro. Full MacOS Catalina support
- Canon EOS Ra cameraCanon announce the Canon EOS Ra camera. A 30MP EOS R modified for improved H-Alpha response (deep red) for astrophotography applications. Due December 2019
- Samyang 14mm AF for RF mountSamyang announce the AF 14mm F2.8 RF wide angle lens. Their first AF lens using the Canon RF mirrorless mount. Includes a dock mount for firmware updates. Sold under the Rokinon brand in the US
- Canon 1D X Mark III developmentCanon have released a 1D X Mark III development announcement for the successor to the 1D X mk2 pro level camera. Initial features and camera functionality outlined. Release date TBA
- DxO PhotoLab 3DxO have announced V3 of PhotoLab 3 image editing software. It includes a new colour adjustment interface, improved local adjustment masking and keyword management options.
- Canon PRO-2100, 4100, 6100 printersCanon have announced the PRO-2100, 4100 and 6100 large format printers (24", 44" and 60" width), looking to improve print workflow and efficiency. Available in 12 colour and 8 colour 'S' versions
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US