What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- Dual illuminant DNG profiles Quickly creating DNG dual illuminant camera profiles for testing lenses, cameras, & lighting under variable lighting conditions. using an X-Rite colorchecker card and their free camera calibrations software.
- Disk Drill recovery and photo backups Disk Drill file and photo recovery software and photo backups for Macintosh and Windows. Backup strategies for photographers, so you shouldn't be caught out
- ImageNest RIP review: V5 update Imagenest Version 5. Mac based RIP handles image layout and sizing for printing to any connected printer. Image nesting and full control over colour management.
- Upsizing and sharpening for making a print Editing, sharpening and upsizing part of an old digital photo from a 10MP camera to make an A2 sized print. Image resizing for larger prints and why your editing workflow matters.
- Topaz Sharpen AI update Topaz Sharpen AI image sharpening software updated to V2. Adds batch processing and masking of the images sharpening. Smart sharpening and shake reduction
- Using effects lens filters After being given some assorted lens filters dating back to film days, Keith wonders if they are still of any use with modern digital cameras and how B&W film 'emulation' has its limits.
- Fixing converging verticals without a shift lens Simple image edits can simulate the results of using a shift lens, if you edit your image the right way and can tolerate the need to crop the resulting image.
- Teleconverters and lens tilt Lens tilt using extenders such as the Canon Extender EF 1.4x III What are the effects of using teleconverters with tilt lenses such as the TS-E17, TS-E24mm and TS-E90mm
- Adapted lens – Soligor 300mm f5.5 Adapted lens experiments - Soligor 300mm f5.5 on an RF mount EOS RP mirrorless camera. Using adapters on a manual focus telephoto from 1975 on a modern mirrorless camera
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- DxO Nik plugin update DxO have announced a Nik plugin update to V2.3. Better support for high res screens and new presets for Silver Effex Pro. Full MacOS Catalina support
- Canon EOS Ra camera Canon announce the Canon EOS Ra camera. A 30MP EOS R modified for improved H-Alpha response (deep red) for astrophotography applications. Due December 2019
- Samyang 14mm AF for RF mount Samyang announce the AF 14mm F2.8 RF wide angle lens. Their first AF lens using the Canon RF mirrorless mount. Includes a dock mount for firmware updates. Sold under the Rokinon brand in the US
- Canon 1D X Mark III development Canon have released a 1D X Mark III development announcement for the successor to the 1D X mk2 pro level camera. Initial features and camera functionality outlined. Release date TBA
- DxO PhotoLab 3 DxO have announced V3 of PhotoLab 3 image editing software. It includes a new colour adjustment interface, improved local adjustment masking and keyword management options.
- Canon PRO-2100, 4100, 6100 printers Canon have announced the PRO-2100, 4100 and 6100 large format printers (24", 44" and 60" width), looking to improve print workflow and efficiency. Available in 12 colour and 8 colour 'S' versions
- Nikon Z50 Nikon have announced the 20MP Z50, their first DX sensor Z series mirrorless camera. It uses the Z mount for lenses, the announcement includes two APS-C (DX) Z mount lenses.
- Epson P7500 and P9500 printers Epson announces P7500 and P9500 12 colour large format printers. 24 inch and 44 inch width printers with hew 12 colour ink set and no black switching. Printers also referred to as P7570 and P9570 in some regions
- X-Rite updates display calibrator range X-Rite has updated its display calibrator product range, including support for much brighter screens. Products are aimed at photographers and filmmakers
- Canon EOS M200 Canon announces the EOS M200 mirrorless APS-C camera. A 24MP camera bundled with the 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM lens. Successor to EOS M100 mirrorless
- Phase One XT camera system Phase One announces the XT medium format camera system. It comes with the 100/150MP IQ4 back and three lenses, and with a body unit offering ±12mm of lens shift.
- Canon RF lenses 15-35 and 24-70 Canon has announced the details for two RF lenses: the RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM. Both include dust and weather resistance, and a stated 5 stops of optical image stabilisation.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)