What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- DxO Nik collection and PhotoLab The DxO Nik collection image editing plugins are updated for compatibility with modern editing software. DxO PhotoLab image editing software is updated to V1.2 with U Point local image adjustments.
- HP Launches new Designjet Z series HP has launched a new Designjet Z series of large format printers. The Z6 and Z9+ printers are aimed at photos graphics and technical printing. Printers will be available in June/July
- Yongnuo YN 60mm macro lens announced Yongnuo have announced their new YN 60mm f/2 MF manual focus macro lens for the EF mount, with electronic aperture control. Price is likely under £350
- BenQ SW240 PhotoVue monitor announced BenQ have announced the SW240 PhotoVue 24 inch 16:10 monitor. 99% Adobe98 coverage. 14 bit 3D LUT and hardware calibration with BenQ Palette Master Element software
- Four new Laowa lenses Venus Lens have announced four new lenses under the Laowa brand. They range from a 4mm MFT fisheye to a 100mm 2x Macro APO. A 10-18,, zoom is available in Sony FE mount and a 17mm F4 for Fuji GFX
- LargeSense launches the LS911 LargeSense launches the LS911 8x10 digital camera back. Single shot 9"x11" CMOS sensor gives 12MP with 75 micron pixels. Base ISO is 2100 Includes lossless 4k video at 26fps
- Luminar 2018 Jupiter update Skylum announces Luminar 2018 Jupiter (V1.2) software update. Featuring speed increases, batch processing and camera and lens profiles. New features for Mac and Windows versions.
- Architectural photography lens choices Looking at lens choices for architectural photography. How Keith Cooper uses a nearby award nominated building to explore options when testing lenses - not on the time of clients
- Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D wide angle lens announced for APS-C mirrorless cameras by Venus Optics in Sony E, Fuji and EF-M mount options. 49mm filter thread
- Benro GD3WH Geared Head Benro has announced their GD3WH Geared Head at the Photography Show in the UK. With a weight of 870g it takes up to 6KG, giving geared three axis movement
- Tokina Opera 50mm f1.4 lens Tokina have announced the 50mm f1.4 FF lens for full frame cameras. It's in the 'Opera' premium lens line
- New Sigma lens firmware for Canon fit lenses SIGMA Corporation has announced the release of its lens firmware version 2.00 for its SIGMA GLOBAL VISION (SGV) interchangeable lenses compatible with Canon digital cameras featuring Lens Aberration Correction.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks