What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Nikon D850 Nikon D850 full frame DSLR. Camera features 45.7MP BSI FX-format sensor, 7 fps burst (max 9 fps), 4K video and a tilting 3.2" 2.36M-dot touchscreen. Camera includes dual card slots: XQD and SD
- Kodak to bring back Ektachrome film At the CES show in Vegas, Kodak have announced that Ektachrome colour slide film is going to be making a comeback later in 2017
- Canon MT-26EX-RT macro twin flash unit The new Canon MT-26EX-RT macro twin flash unit boosts power over the previous MT-24EX and add wireless support, along with an updated interface
- New Canon 50mm, 90mm and 135mm tilt-shift lenses New tilt shift lenses announced. Canon 50mm f2.8L, 90mm f2.8L and 135mm f4L macro tilt-shift lenses. TS-E lens range expanded with macro capable lenses.
- Canon EOS M100 24MP camera Canon EOS M100 with 24MP sensor and Dual Pixel AF replaces the EOS M10. Digic 7 processor improves video performance. Available in black or white, shipping in October for £570/$600 with 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, or £770/$950 with 15-45mm and 55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM.
- Canon EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM A new lens from Canon. The Canon EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM stabilised f1.4 lens is a short telephoto prime lens for portrait and low light work
- New Canon TS Pixma printers Canon launch a new range of TS Pixma printers PIXMA TS9120, TS8120, TS6120, TS5120 and TS3120 3-in-1 inkjet printers
- Moorsview photography event in Yorkshire With exhibitions talks and seminars, the Moorsview 2017 event takes place in Pickering over the weekend from Friday 8th to Sunday the 10th September 2017. A good reason to visit the North York Moors area of the UK
- Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR for Mac and Windows Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR editing and creation software updated for Mac and Windows platforms. Speeds up processing and adds new features
- Venus Optics 15mm f2 E-mount lens Venus Optics 15mm f2 E-mount lens is announced. The widest rectilinear f/2 native lens for Sony Full Frame E-mount cameras, Laowa 15mm f/2 FE Zero-D
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-6000 60 inch printer Canon have announced a 60 inch width version of their imagePROGRAF PRO series of printers. The PRO-6000 is a 12 colour pigment ink printer - a bigger version of the PRO-2000 reviewed by Keith Cooper. For a PRO6000 review, read Keith's PRO2000 one and change any mention of 24" to 60"
- DxO updates FilmPack and ViewPoint DxO updates FilmPack to V 5.5 and ViewPoint to V3.1 - film emulation and geometry correction
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks