What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 announced Samyang have announced a new AF 85mm F1.4 lens in Canon EF mount. At 485g weight and 72mm long, it is smaller than other Canon mount 85mm 1.4 lenses
- Datacolor Colour management survey How does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Two new Canon EF 70-200 Lenses Canon launches EF 70-200 F4L IS II and EF 70-200 F2.8L IS III lenses. New versions of Canon's 70-200mm 'L' series telephoto zoom
- DxO Nik collection and PhotoLab The DxO Nik collection image editing plugins are updated for compatibility with modern editing software. DxO PhotoLab image editing software is updated to V1.2 with U Point local image adjustments.
- HP Launches new Designjet Z series HP has launched a new Designjet Z series of large format printers. The Z6 and Z9+ printers are aimed at photos graphics and technical printing. Printers will be available in June/July
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- 5Ds or 5Ds R – worth the extra cost? A very quick comparison of an identical shot with the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R shows differences - are they worth the extra you have to pay?
- Fotospeed Metallic Lustre paper review Fotospeed Metallic Lustre 275 gsm paper review. A microporous coated paper with a metallic lustre surface finish, for dye and pigment inks. A4 sheet to 44" roll sizes available
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
- BenQ SW240 monitor review BenQ SW240 monitor review. 24 inch 1920 x 1200 resolution, wide Adobe98 (99%) gamut, hardware calibration with supplied calibration software. An optional shading hood is available.
- TS-E 90mm F2.8L Macro review Review of the Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L macro tilt/shift lens. How to use the ±10 degrees of tilt and ±12mm of shift offered by the macro lens, Includes comparisons with the original TS-E90mm F2.8 lens
- Review: Benro GD3WH geared head Review of the Benro GD3WH geared tripod head. Three axis geared adjustment with up to 6kg of camera gear supported. Arca Swiss style adapter plate for quick release. Head weighs under 2 pounds in weight.
- Canon imagePROGRAF TX-3000 review Testing the Canon TX-3000 36" width printer. Keith Cooper reviews the Canon TX wide format printer and plotter for photo and graphics printing. Also covers the 24" TX-2000 printer and 44" TX-4000
- Looking for a bigger photo printer Important questions to ask yourself when looking for a bigger photo printer wider than 13 inch width or A3+. Things that it's useful to know if you want a 17" (A2) or larger printer, it's about more than just bigger prints.
- So, can you start a photography business So, can you start a photography business? Will it last? Are you sure you know the difference between photography as a hobby and running a successful and profitable photography business. Some of the things you need to think about.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR for Mac and Windows Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR editing and creation software updated for Mac and Windows platforms. Speeds up processing and adds new features
- Venus Optics 15mm f2 E-mount lens Venus Optics 15mm f2 E-mount lens is announced. The widest rectilinear f/2 native lens for Sony Full Frame E-mount cameras, Laowa 15mm f/2 FE Zero-D
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-6000 60 inch printer Canon have announced a 60 inch width version of their imagePROGRAF PRO series of printers. The PRO-6000 is a 12 colour pigment ink printer - a bigger version of the PRO-2000 reviewed by Keith Cooper. For a PRO6000 review, read Keith's PRO2000 one and change any mention of 24" to 60"
- DxO updates FilmPack and ViewPoint DxO updates FilmPack to V 5.5 and ViewPoint to V3.1 - film emulation and geometry correction
- Luminar – now for Windows too Macphun have announced a free open Beta test version of their Luminar photo editor that work on Windows PCs. Keith has reviewed Luminar (Mac version) in the past, so do have a look for a bit more detail of just what you can do with it, beyond some of the rather 'luminous' examples. It's actually capable of some very subtle adjustments.
- Nikon EN-EL15 battery advisory update Nikon have an updated product advisory for very specific versions of the EN-EL15 battery. cameras include D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 and the Nikon 1 V1
- Laowa Magic Shift Converter for Sony FE mount cameras Laowa announce a shift adapter that allows normal wide angle lenses to be used as shift lenses on Sony E mount cameras. 12mm f2.8 becomes 17mm f4 shift
- New Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 lens announced Tamron announces its latest 24-70mm F2.8 lens, model SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A032) due August 2017. Nikon and Canon mounts. Full specs including MTF charts
- Canon 6D mk2 and 200D Canon announce the 26MP full frame EOS 6D mk2 and the 24MP APS-C EOS 200D - two new DSLR cameras updating he 6D and 100D
- Micron kills off Lexar brand A Micron announcement looks to kill off the Lexar brand and cards and associated hardware. The Flash memory maker announces that it intends to drop the entire Lexar business line, but is open to offers...
- Luminar Neptune review update Luminar Neptune review update - The MacPhun Image editor version 1.2 adds new features, operating modes and overall performance. Follows on from Keith's full review
- BenQ monitor competition – trip to Venice Win a photographic trip to Venice courtesy of BenQ (European residents only) Celebrating the BenQ range of monitors
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks