Printers and printing – making better prints
Suggest a product review or article?
See our Review guidelines for more details.
More specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Large prints – The Photography Show 2017 All about making bigger prints. Articles and reviews that expand upon issues covered in Keith Cooper's talks and presentations at the Photography Show at the NEC in Birmingham in March 2017
- Moving a Canon PRO-2000 printer Following on from our PRO-2000 review, it needed shipping back to Canon. There are several options for moving such a printer (or a larger PRO-4000), the one we needed uses up a lot of ink. Take care when installing your large format printer if you ever intend to move it.
- The art of the big photographic landscape print What makes for a great looking large 'fine art' print? What differences do you need to consider when deciding to make larger prints (A2 and above). Larger prints are that work are far more than just more megapixels, sharper lenses and big printers.
- Keith Cooper’s talks about printmaking Keith Cooper talks about making large prints at The Photography Show 2017 - Getting great looking big prints from your work. From camera to print, the complete workflow
- Paper review Platinum Gloss Art Fibre 300 Paper review, looking at Platinum Gloss Art Fibre 300gsm paper by Fotospeed. Tested on the Canon PRO-2000 pigment ink printer for colour and black and white printing
- Impressora pro photo media review Review of six different papers from the Impressora range of photo media, from Canvas to cotton rag paper to glossy metallic finish. All tested on the Canon PRO-2000 printer
- Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre 300 paper review Review of Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre paper, by Paper Spectrum. A bright lustre photo paper that is our go-to choice for commercial and decorative prints. 300gsm weight and available in a full range of sheet and roll sizes
- ImageNest on the Canon PRO-2000 A quick test of ImageNest print layout software on the Canon PRO-2000 printer. Quick print layout and placement along with resizing, colour management and sharpening
- Canon Water Resistant Matte Polypropylene review Review of a water resistant 115gsm. Canon polypropylene matte paper, that lets you produce posters and prints that are rated for six months outdoor use. 'Waterproof' prints using ordinary LUCIA pigment inks on the PRO-1000/2000/4000/6000
- Canon smooth fine art paper review Canon paper review: Premium Fine Art Smooth (PremFAS) smooth finish matte art paper. Neutral white, OBA free and archival. 310gsm weight
- Print of a photo of a sunset from my loft Photographing an interesting sunset out of the loft window at home. How a simple photo, basic processing and printing produces a 22 inch by 33 inch print. Why any problems in making great prints probably doesn't come from deficiencies in equipment and software.
- Innova Fabriano Art papers review Paper review: Two new Innova mould made heavy matte fine art rag based papers from the Fabriano paper mill. IFA-107 and IFA-108. OBA free archival papers
- Tutorial: A large black and white print of the harbour at Staithes Looking at the whole process, from photography to printing, Keith's tutorisl shows how he produced a 22" x 43" wide angle view of the harbour at Staithes in N. Yorkshire. Includes details on image stitching, B&W conversion and using masked adjustment layers.
- X-Rite i1iO and a B&W test image The X-Rite i1iO table and i1Pro2 spectrophotometer are used with a modified version of Keith's black and white test print (8 & 16 bit versions downloadable). Quick and easy check for monochrome print linearity includes chart averaging.
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 printer review Detailed review of the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 24" pigment ink printer. 11 inks and a gloss optimiser coat. Dual roll feed option. Roll and sheet media tested, including a print over 7m long.
- Mirage print software review (V3.5) A review of the Mirage print software by Dinax. Tested with the Canon PRO-2000 printer, the software now supports Canon and Epson large format printers. One feature is its freedom from print length limitations, ideal for huge pano prints at photo print resolutions.
- Canon PRO-2000, 4000 printer setup and installation Assembly and initial setup for the Canon iPF PRO-2000 and PRO-4000 large format printer. Features print head and ink installation and initial configuration, including printer software and network connection.
- Two new Canon PIXMA printers Two new printers from Canon. The Canon Pixma MG3050 (£69.99)and MG255OS (£44.99) use a hybrid ink system (dye and pigment-based inks) to deliver ‘vivid, vibrant colours’. Both are Wi-Fi enabled, allowing images to be printed direct from a smartphone or computer via the Canon PRINT app
- Epson Expression Photo XP-960 printer review Review of the Epson Expression Photo XP-960 printer. All-in-one printer/scanner/copier that supports double sided printing and photo prints up to A3 size (11"x17"). Dual paper tray
- Review Hahnemuhle baryta satin and photo pearl Short review of two Hahnemuhle papers tested during Keith's Canon PRO-1000 printer review. Hahnemuhle Satin Baryta 300 and Hahnemuhle Photo Pearl 310. The Baryta Satin is a warmer and more solid feeling paper (100% alpha cellulose) without brightening agents. The Photo pearl is a brighter white paper, more like a traditional pearl finish photo paper. The Baryta Satin is a warmer (OBA free) and more solid feeling paper (100% alpha cellulose).
All the latest articles and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog .
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all the specialist articles and reviews written by Keith Cooper.
Buying anything from Amazon (not just what's listed) via any of the links below helps Keith and Karen keep the site going - thanks if you do! [Amazon UK]