Printing and paper
Printers and printing
– making better prints
Suggest a product review or article?
See our Review guidelines for more details.
More specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Keith’s photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial, hacks and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper’s printing and paper articles and reviews
Printer and paper reviews, along with articles about making better prints.
- Canon PRO-2100, 4100, 6100 printers Canon have announced the PRO-2100, 4100 and 6100 large format printers (24", 44" and 60" width), looking to improve print workflow and efficiency. Available in 12 colour and 8 colour 'S' versions
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 plus review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 Plus monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer. Backlit printed materials can now be profiled, and the spectrophotometer has an M3 option for polarised measurements
- Printer Test Images Collection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Panoramic printing review using Fotospeed paper Wide prints and panoramic photo composition. Review of Fotospeed panoramic paper (210mm x 594mm) for wide prints colour and black and white. Some thoughts about making wide prints work.
- X-Rite i1iO review Review using the X-Rite i1iO automated patch reader for printer profiling using the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and i1Profiler software. The robot arm accepts the original i1Pro and the i1Pro 2
- Datacolor Spyder X bundles Datacolor announced the launch of two new product bundles for photographers to manage their colour workflow: SpyderX Capture Pro and SpyderX Studio. Both include the recently launched SpyderX colour calibrator for monitors
- SpyderX Studio review Review of the Spyder X Studio kit from Datacolor. Includes the Spyder X Elite monitor calibrator, SpyderCube white balance and exposure tool and SpyderPrint printer profiling kit for creating ICC printer profiles
- Fotospeed Fotospeed Smooth Cotton 300 paper review Fotospeed Smooth cotton 300 paper review. Smooth matte surface surface, Cotton based 300gsm white paper. Takes a good ink load and for a matte paper gives solid colour and B&W tonality
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviews Keith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy
- Topaz Gigapixel AI updated to V4 Topaz have updated their Gigapixel AI resizing software to V4. The new version offers improved speed and image quality with improved resizing and workflow. Free update for existing users (Free 30 day trial and reduced price for new until April 5th)
- Fotospeed Legacy Gloss 325 paper review Fotospeed Legacy Gloss 325 paper review. Smooth unglazed gloss surface, Cotton based 325gsm natural warm white paper. OBA free. Making large exhibition quality prints.
- Printing low megapixel images at large size Printing low megapixel images at large size, looking at resizing and image editing techniques that let you make larger prints than you thought possible. Getting good prints at A2 and 17" x 25" sizes
- Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300 paper review Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300 paper review. Smooth unglazed gloss surface 300gsm natural white paper. Making large exhibition quality prints
- Better photography by printing your work Better Photography from prints. Printing your photos is a useful skill to work on. 5 steps towards getting great prints that will help you improve all of your photography
- Epson Fine Art paper range Epson Fine Art paper range - smooth and textured surface cotton fine-art papers. Available in natural and bright finsh, sheet and roll format
- Simple Inkjet printer cleaning Cleaning old, clogged and dried up ink from inkjet printers using commonly available household cleaning products. Common solvents and additives quickly cut though ink buildup. A look at different household cleaners and how they can help shift dried up printer ink
- Topaz AI GigaPixel review Topaz AI GigaPixel software review. Testing Topaz's image resizing software on a range of sample images and testing results on screen and as large prints, Standalone app lets you resize to 600% and handles huge files
- Epson SureLab SL-D700 review Review of the Epson SureLab SL-D700 six colour photo printer. Supports roll media from 102-210mm wide. Prints up to 1 metre in length, with built in cutter
- Fotospeed Metallic Lustre paper review Fotospeed Metallic Lustre 275 gsm paper review. A microporous coated paper with a metallic lustre surface finish, for dye and pigment inks. A4 sheet to 44" roll sizes available
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)