Printers and printing – making better prints
Suggest a product review or article?
See our Review guidelines for more details.
More specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- New Canon TS Pixma printers Canon launch a new range of TS Pixma printers PIXMA TS9120, TS8120, TS6120, TS5120 and TS3120 3-in-1 inkjet printers
- Epson SC-P20000 printer review Review of the Epson SC-P20000 printer by Keith Cooper. 64 inch width large format printer with new UltraChrome Pro 10-colour ink-set including high density Mk/Pk inks and three grey inks for better Black & White printing
- Setting up the Epson P5000 printer Setting up the 17" Epson P5000 printer - installation & setup for the SureColor P5000 A2 printer, software configuration, networking and colour calibration
- Canon PIXMA MG3650 review Review notes for the Canon PIXMA MG3650. Looking at setup and basic functionality for the A4 4 ink printer. Photo printing and document scanning
- Large prints – The Photography Show 2017 All about making bigger prints. Articles and reviews that expand upon issues covered in Keith Cooper's talks and presentations at the Photography Show at the NEC in Birmingham in March 2017
- Moving a Canon PRO-2000 printer Following on from our PRO-2000 review, it needed shipping back to Canon. There are several options for moving such a printer (or a larger PRO-4000), the one we needed uses up a lot of ink. Take care when installing your large format printer if you ever intend to move it.
- The art of the big photographic landscape print What makes for a great looking large 'fine art' print? What differences do you need to consider when deciding to make larger prints (A2 and above). Larger prints are that work are far more than just more megapixels, sharper lenses and big printers.
- Keith Cooper’s talks about printmaking Keith Cooper talks about making large prints at The Photography Show 2017 - Getting great looking big prints from your work. From camera to print, the complete workflow
- Paper review Platinum Gloss Art Fibre 300 Paper review, looking at Platinum Gloss Art Fibre 300gsm paper by Fotospeed. Tested on the Canon PRO-2000 pigment ink printer for colour and black and white printing
- Impressora pro photo media review Review of six different papers from the Impressora range of photo media, from Canvas to cotton rag paper to glossy metallic finish. All tested on the Canon PRO-2000 printer
- Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre 300 paper review Review of Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre paper, by Paper Spectrum. A bright lustre photo paper that is our go-to choice for commercial and decorative prints. 300gsm weight and available in a full range of sheet and roll sizes
- ImageNest on the Canon PRO-2000 A quick test of ImageNest print layout software on the Canon PRO-2000 printer. Quick print layout and placement along with resizing, colour management and sharpening
- Canon Water Resistant Matte Polypropylene review Review of a water resistant 115gsm. Canon polypropylene matte paper, that lets you produce posters and prints that are rated for six months outdoor use. 'Waterproof' prints using ordinary LUCIA pigment inks on the PRO-1000/2000/4000/6000
- Canon smooth fine art paper review Canon paper review: Premium Fine Art Smooth (PremFAS) smooth finish matte art paper. Neutral white, OBA free and archival. 310gsm weight
- New Canon papers announced Canon USA announce three new Premium Fine Art papers — Premium Fine Art Smooth, Premium Fine Art Bright White and Premium Polished Rag. Designed to produce, rich-color reproduction, and detailed expression of gradation. Keith has a roll of the Fine Art Smooth for an upcoming paper review
- Print of a photo of a sunset from my loft Photographing an interesting sunset out of the loft window at home. How a simple photo, basic processing and printing produces a 22 inch by 33 inch print. Why any problems in making great prints probably doesn't come from deficiencies in equipment and software.
- Innova Fabriano Art papers review Paper review: Two new Innova mould made heavy matte fine art rag based papers from the Fabriano paper mill. IFA-107 and IFA-108. OBA free archival papers
- Tutorial: A large black and white print of the harbour at Staithes Looking at the whole process, from photography to printing, Keith's tutorisl shows how he produced a 22" x 43" wide angle view of the harbour at Staithes in N. Yorkshire. Includes details on image stitching, B&W conversion and using masked adjustment layers.
- X-Rite i1iO and a B&W test image The X-Rite i1iO table and i1Pro2 spectrophotometer are used with a modified version of Keith's black and white test print (8 & 16 bit versions downloadable). Quick and easy check for monochrome print linearity includes chart averaging.
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 printer review Detailed review of the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 24" pigment ink printer. 11 inks and a gloss optimiser coat. Dual roll feed option. Roll and sheet media tested, including a print over 7m long.
All the latest articles and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog .
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going.
We really do appreciate this - thanks [link for Amazon UK | Amazon US]