...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
Many of the books further down the page are the personal recommendations of Keith Cooper (they are on his bookshelf and well thumbed). They should be available at any good bookstore, so do have a look.
Keith’s own book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Keith has also included other book reviews covering different aspects of photography and aimed at different levels of expertise.
Old photography books from 2nd hand bookshops make up a big part of his book collection – just because it’s film doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from looking at good photos…
See the main blog page for Keith’s photography articles and reviews
- Book Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash PhotographyBook Review: Mastering Lighting and Flash Photography by Richard Bradbury. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographic lighting
- Book Review: Isle of Skye – Photographer’s guideBook Review: Isle of Skye and NW Scotland - Photographer's guide by David Hickey. Locations, maps and tours with detailed photographic tips and suggestions covering equipment, photography and image processing.
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Landscape PhotographyBook Review: 52 Assignments, Landscape Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas relating to Landscape photography. Lots of suggestions to help expand your photography and experiment.
- Book Review: Everything about taking PhotographsBook Review: 'Everything you always wanted to know about taking better photographs', '50 images and 50 explanations' by Antony Zacharias. £12.99 Ammonite press October 2019
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Street PhotographyBook Review: 52 Assignments, Street Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas helping you explore different aspects of street photography. Challenge your photo comfort zones.
- Book Review: Hasselblad and the moon landingBook Review: Hasselblad and the moon landings. photographs and the story of the cameras that didn't return from the Apollo moon landings
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Experimental PhotographyBook Review: 52 Assignments, Experimental Photography. 52 project ideas to help you explore different aspects of photography, film and digital. with low and high tech ideas and hacks
Photography business related books
- Book Review Make money with your digital photography Erin ManningKeith Cooper reviews Make money with your digital photography by Erin Manning, a comprehensive guide and introduction to the business of photography
Why old photo books can be so useful
Some of Keith’s favourite books
These are older books that don’t have full reviews, but are still favourites on Keith’s bookshelves. Always worth looking out for in 2nd hand lists if you can’t find them new.
A marvellous book by Terry Hope, that brings together a collection of works by different photographers with their own comments.
Read it and you will soon be reaching for the camera…
ISBN: 2880464803 (UK edition)
ISBN: 1883403685 (US edition)
A classic from Ansel Adams.
Many techniques and concepts are applicable to the production of digital images.
Photoshop for Photographers – Martin Evening
Learn many of the features of Photoshop — written from a photographer’s perspective. Comprehensive and clearly written. The section on colour management (valid even for black and white) is particularly clear in its coverage of an area that many find mysterious. Includes CD with additional material.
There are versions from Photoshop 6 through to CC and I think I’ve many on the bookshelf.
- Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers
A Tree, a Blade of Grass
Collection of colour photographs by Shinzo Maeda. Images of the Japanese landscape.
It’s a book that I never tire of just picking up and browsing. I really do look forward to visiting Japan one day…
Mastering Digital Printing
“The Photographer’s and Artist’s Guide to High-Quality Digital Output” An extremely comprehensive guide to what can be achieved in the digital realm. Covers all the major technologies and techniques. Excellent choice for both amateurs and pros alike.
By Harald Johnson
Real World Colour Management
I often get asked for suggestions about learning more about the nuts and bolts of Colour Management.
My usual suggestion is Bruce Fraser’s Real World Colour Management.
My own copy is well thumbed. It’s my first port of call if I’m asked a question and I feel I don’t quite understand an issue well enough to be absolutely sure of an answer.
Real World Camera Raw
By Bruce Fraser (who is much missed)
- Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS3
Photoshop Masking & Compositing
Possibly ‘the’ book on masking. An essential element of much photo manipulation.
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)