HP Launches new Designjet Z series
HP Designjet Z series of large format printers
New printers from HP for photos/design/technical
...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
At the FESPA show in Berlin recently, HP launched its new Designjet Z series of large format printers.
Here at Northlight the Z9+ is of definite interest, being aimed at high end photo reproduction. Back in 2009 Keith reviewed the excellent HP z3200ps and has been wondering ever since, what might follow it.
At some point we hope to add the Z9+ to our large collection of printer reviews.
HP’s new Z series printers
As announced at FESPA
HP Launches State-of-the-Art Large Format Photo Printers
New HP DesignJet Z6 and Z9+ Printer series offers innovative printing technologies for amazing output and seamless user experiences
BERLIN, May 15, 2018 – HP Inc. unveiled its new DesignJet Z Printer series at FESPA Global Print Expo to showcase innovative large format technologies offering amazing image quality and fast, simple output for print service providers (PSPs), retailers, and creatives to deliver beautiful photos, impactful graphics and technical applications.
The market for large photo merchandising grew seven percent in 20171 with nearly 1.3 trillion photos taken in the same year2. The demand for simplicity and unrivalled photo quality is growing, fuelling the need for printing solutions that remove bottlenecks and increase time savings.
The new HP DesignJet Z6 and Z9+ Printer series is designed to easily maximise printing performance for amazing photo output. By tightly integrating the materials, hardware, and software together, the new printers offer amazing photo quality and print permanence with fewer inks to simplify manageability and reduce costs. New vertical trimmer is featured on select models to optimise output in addition to other innovative technologies for rapid high-quality production from professional photo quality prints to retailer signage. The result is printing 2.5 times faster3 and post-production 20 percent faster4.
“The new DesignJet Z Printer series radically enhances the customer experience and reinvents printing possibilities for both professional photo and signage to ignite business growth and adapt to future needs,” said Guayente Sanmartin, General Manager and Global Head, HP Large Format Design Printing, HP Inc. “We thoughtfully designed the new printers to deliver impressive photo quality without compromising time resources and output speeds with the new vertical trimmer and innovative colour technologies.”
HP DesignJet Z9⁺dr 44-in PostScript® Printer with vertical trimmer
The DesignJet Z Printer series will debut at FESPA 2018 at HP Booth 3.2 C20.
Simple and fast output for high-quality vibrant photos
HP DesignJet Z Printer series, both available in 24- and 44-inch formats, are built to give PSPs a competitive edge by enabling the fastest printing capabilities available on the market today. As an industry first, the HP DesignJet Z6 and Z9+ offer a premium option with onboard vertical trimmer for fast and efficient production. New color technology, HP Pixel Control, now for the first time manages colors in a truly digital way to help customers embrace new opportunities for colour-rich and dynamic printing.
For print service providers who rely on amazing professional photographic quality prints, the HP DesignJet Z9+ printer allows for a broad range of graphics and technical applications.
HP DesignJet Z Printers create amazing image quality
The DesignJet Z6 Printer series is designed for Geographical Information Systems (GIS) creators and users, print service providers, and retailers who require a simple to use solution for high-quality technical and graphics applications with water/fade resistance. The new print series is designed to handle even the most complex files with powerful processing architectures and the Adobe PDF Print Engine.
HP DesignJet Z6 Printers are designed for GIS applications
Specific technologies and features include:
- HP Pixel Control: Achieve true-to-colour prints and an expanded colour gamut with RGB HP Vivid Photo Inks, featuring chromatic red, chromatic green, and chromatic blue, the i1 embedded spectrophotometer5 and HP Pixel Control. HP Pixel Control is truly digital colour pipeline designed for outstanding, consistent image quality delivered by controlling every print-ready pixel. Combining HP HDNA with HP Pixel Control, users get amazing image quality with just nine inks versus 12 compared to the previous generation HP DesignJet. The new printers also offer HP Professional PANTONE Emulation to match Brand identity colors.
- Dual drop technology: Produce prints with clear details and high-contrast colour with dual drop technology powered by HP Nozzle Architecture (HDNA) and high-definition printheads. The HP DesignJet Z9+ features an upgradable configuration for a higher gloss output6.
- Tools to create: Simplify large format printing with a redesigned poster application in the HP Applications Center7, which also includes Adobe Stock, Unsplash, Vecteezy, and Pattern Design, offers customers access to the necessary tools for creating beautiful, original signs, and posters. The HP Applications Center also embeds augmented reality (AR) technology to ignite the creation of more meaningful and engaging content for print.
- Indoor and Outdoor Durability: Create prints with highly-stable pigment HP Vivid Photo Inks that provide water-resistant, fade-resistant prints8 for long-term indoor display and, when printed on suitable water-resistant media, outdoor display. HP Vivid Photo Inks gives PSPs the assurance that the prints they make for their customers will last as long as possible.
- Security: Take advantage of the industry’s most secure printers with HP Secure Boot, whitelisting, authentication solutions, and HP JetAdvantage Security manager to safeguard printers and data for enterprise and government.
- HP PrintOS: Remotely manage the print production environment from anywhere at any time with HP PrintOS now offered on the HP DesignJet Z Printer series.
HP is also announcing enhanced HP DesignJet Z6x10 Printers for a better user and output experience. Boasting a new fresh design, the new printers have new labeling indicating the printer colors to simplify ease-of-use. The printers have new printheads and Chromatic Red Ink formulation to deliver sharp detail and precise line quality. Optimized fast and normal print modes for heavyweight coated, polypropylene and canvas to speed-up production and enhance image quality. Lastly, the new printers will have 500 GB HDD with more virtual memory to process complex and graphic intensive prints.
HP offers a wide variety of innovative media including the new:
- HP Recycled Satin Canvas is a 17.4 mil (443 micron), 370 gsm crack-resistant canvas for HP aqueous inks, made from 100% recycled water bottles making it the first of its kind in the HP Wide Format Media Portfolio.
- HP Everyday Blockout Display Film with a unique construction of three layers of polypropylene, polyester, and polypropylene film for an added suppleness and superior lay-flat properties. HP Everyday Blockout Display film is a thicker film compared to 100 percent polyester, costs less, and has a coating for dual ink technology.
- The HP DesignJet Z6, Z6x10, and Z9+ Printers are expected to be available on June 1, 2018.
- The 44-inch HP DesignJet Z6 and Z9+ with dual roll and vertical trimmer are expected to be available on July 1, 2018.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
- Source: Photo Merchandising report from Infotrend
- Source: New York Times
- compared to the HP DesignJet Z3200 Photo Printer series. May vary depending on print mode and media type.
- Vertical trimmer and dual rolls included with the HP DesignJet Z9⁺dr 44-in PostScript® Printer with V-Trimmer only. Up to 20% reduction in post-processing labor time based on internal HP testing compared to HP DesignJet Z9⁺dr series printers without built-in vertical trimmer.
- Embedded in the HP DesignJet Z9⁺ Printer series is an i1 spectrophotometer from X-Rite. Close collaboration between HP and X-Rite ensures a reliable solution that’s been thoroughly tested to meet customer demands for ease, quality, and dependability.
- Based on internal HP testing April 2018, tests on mechanical printing time, comparing to HP DesignJet Z9⁺ series printers without gloss enhancer. HP Gloss Enhancer can be used on photo paper, except for matte-finish papers. Optional upgrade available second half 2018.
- Requires an HP Applications Center account, Internet connection, and connected Internet-capable device. For more information, see http://www.hpapplicationscenter.com.
- Performance may vary based on writing system differences. Print permanence estimates by HP Image Permanence Lab based on the same formulation of HP Vivid Photo Inks used with the HP DesignJet Z6200 Photo Production Printer, using 6 inks. Water resistance performance varies based on printer and print profile. Water resistance testing by HP Image Permanence Lab on a range of HP media and follows ISO 18935 method. Display permanence rating for interior displays/away from direct sunlight by HP Image Permanence Lab on a range of HP media. For more information, see http://www.HPLFMedia.com/printpermanence.
- Pricing and availability subject to change.Adobe PDF Print Engine is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the USA and/or other countries.© 2018 HP Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
More print related information
For information about other printers, paper reviews and profiling (colour management) see the Printing section of the main Articles and Reviews page, or use the search box at the top of any page. There are also specific index pages for any articles connected with the following topics:
- Digital Black and White
- Tutorials and 'How to' articles
- Colour Management
- Printer test images
- Why do your prints look wrong?
More of Keith's articles/reviews (Google's picks to match this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US