...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- All about using tilt and shift
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Video: An A3+ canvas print on the PRO-300Printing an A3+ (13" x 19") canvas print with the Canon PRO-300 printer. Using the free Canon PPL software, it includes a look at soft proofing to pick the best rendering intent for a colour profile. (10m)
- Video: An A3 baryta print on the PRO-300Printing an A3 baryta print on the Canon PRO-300 printer. Basic colour photo printing using the free Canon PPL software, with a high quality 310gsm baryta type paper (9m 30s)
- Gigapixel AI V5.2 updateTopaz Gigapixel AI V5.2 update adds cropping and a new compressed enlargement mode to better handle poorer quality source images. Free 30 day demo available.
- DxO PhotoLab 4 announcedDxO have announced PhotoLab 4 the latest version of their photo editing software, which in itself succeeded DxO Optics Pro. The new software improves many aspects of RAW file decoding and noise reduction
- Video: Panoramic prints on the PRO-300Printing a 1 metre long panoramic print on the Canon PRO-300 A3+/13" printer. Using a custom paper size and Canon PPL printer software, with paper cut from a roll (10mins)
- Video: The black and white printer test imageKeith Cooper looks at the basics of using his specialist black and white printer test image to evaluate black and white printing (6mins)
- Video: Print greetings cards on the PRO-300Keith Cooper looks at printing different sizes of greeting cards using the Canon PRO-300 printer. including margin/paper sizes. (9mins) Incl. 2nd video specifically looking at 6x4 postcards (3min 30s)
- Black and White printing with the P700/P900Black and white printing on the Epson SC-P700 A3+ pigment ink printer. Different types of paper and optimising the reproduction of your monochrome photos
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- The wonders of bad lensesHome made DIY lenses are easy to make for your camera and a great way to see what really matters to you when photographing subjects. A simple lens made with cardboard
- Looking at AF and manual focus for the 7DLooking at AF and manual focus functionality for the Canon EOS 7D. Some initial testing with moving objects and old lenses
- Controlling a 1Ds3 via a WFT-E2 and iPhoneUsing the iPhone to connect to a Canon WFT-E2 wireless adapter attached to a Canon 1Ds Mk3. Remote control of the camera with a web browser over an ad hoc network.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 7600 and 9600How to make cartridges always read full by deactivating the ink level counter on the SP7600 and SP9600 Epson large format printers. To be used with care, but useful if you wanted to re-fill your ink carts
- Using 645 MF lenses as shift lensesUsing Mamiya 645 medium format lenses with a shift adapter with Sekor 35/55/80/210mm lenses. MF lenses work well too with a simple adapter, but have enough image circle to be shifted on any smaller sensor camera full frame or crop. Tested on a Canon 1Ds3 full frame 35mm DSLR.
- Black ink swap on the Epson 7880 and 9880An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson SP7880 and SP9880 printers, reducing ink waste. Use with care
- Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2-8 on Canon DSLRTesting the Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 lens mounted on a Canon 1Ds mk3 full frame DSLR with an adapter. Quick comparison with EF24-70 2.8L
- Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f2-8 lens reviewTests and review of using a manual focus Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f/2.8 lens on a Canon 1Ds mk3 DSLR with an M42-EF mount adapter. Includes discussion of adjustments for correct infinity focus
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- View from St. George’s Tower, LeicesterA 300 megapixel view of Leicester city centre from St. George's Tower. Looking northwest along Charles Street towards the city. Image can be zoomed and panned to explore the view
- The art of the big photographic landscape printWhat makes for a great looking large 'fine art' print? What differences do you need to consider when deciding to make larger prints (A2 and above). Larger prints are that work are far more than just more megapixels, sharper lenses and big printers.
- Where is your photography going next year?New equipment may be fun, but it's making less and less of a difference to the quality of many people's photography. Some thoughts on how to go about improving what you do and just as importantly why you do it. Photography resolutions for next year
- DxO ViewPoint 3 reviewDxO ViewPoint software is updated to version 3. Software provides image geometry correction and effects for verticals and horizontals, as well as transformations for shots of groups of people shot with wide lenses
- Macro photography for a trade standMacrophotography setup for producing photographs of small electronic components for the Electronica trade show. Photographs of components along with brightly coloured gummy bears on a polished metal surface.
- Print of a photo of a sunset from my loftPhotographing an interesting sunset out of the loft window at home. How a simple photo, basic processing and printing produces a 22 inch by 33 inch print. Why any problems in making great prints probably doesn't come from deficiencies in equipment and software.
- Photos for architect’s web sitesAs an architectural photographer, Keith discusses what photos are for on architect's web sites. Based on a recent interview with a design agency, looking at why many small-medium practices fail to make the best impressions with their work.
- Tutorial: A large black and white print of the harbour at StaithesLooking at the whole process, from photography to printing, Keith's tutorisl shows how he produced a 22" x 43" wide angle view of the harbour at Staithes in N. Yorkshire. Includes details on image stitching, B&W conversion and using masked adjustment layers.
Training – for companies
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US