...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- All about using tilt and shift
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Topaz Sharpen AI updateTopaz Sharpen AI image sharpening software updated to V2. Adds batch processing and masking of the images sharpening. Smart sharpening and shake reduction
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 updateDxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Fixing converging verticals without a shift lensSimple image edits can simulate the results of using a shift lens, if you edit your image the right way and can tolerate the need to crop the resulting image.
- Topaz Mask AITopaz Mask AI review. Update to Topaz ReMask includes enhanced smart selection features and choices of mask generation modes. Simple mask generation for complex image cutouts
- DxO PhotoLab 3DxO have announced V3 of PhotoLab 3 image editing software. It includes a new colour adjustment interface, improved local adjustment masking and keyword management options.
- Bulk editing photos without PhotoshopBulk editing photos without Photoshop using the BatchPhoto image editing tool (Mac and Win) Guest article from Mike Cosmin Unguru the author of BatchPhoto
- Topaz Studio 2Topaz have announced Studio 2 The new version of their creative image editing software incorporates all previous adjustments. Free trial version available
- Luminar Flex 1.1Luminar Flex app and plugin has a free update to version 1.1 by Skylum. Adds Luminar AI tools to Photoshop, Lightroom and Photos for Mac. Lets you use layers, blending and masking in editing photos.. Functional demo available.
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- The wonders of bad lensesHome made DIY lenses are easy to make for your camera and a great way to see what really matters to you when photographing subjects. A simple lens made with cardboard
- Looking at AF and manual focus for the 7DLooking at AF and manual focus functionality for the Canon EOS 7D. Some initial testing with moving objects and old lenses
- Controlling a 1Ds3 via a WFT-E2 and iPhoneUsing the iPhone to connect to a Canon WFT-E2 wireless adapter attached to a Canon 1Ds Mk3. Remote control of the camera with a web browser over an ad hoc network.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 7600 and 9600How to make cartridges always read full by deactivating the ink level counter on the SP7600 and SP9600 Epson large format printers. To be used with care, but useful if you wanted to re-fill your ink carts
- Using 645 MF lenses as shift lensesUsing Mamiya 645 medium format lenses with a shift adapter with Sekor 35/55/80/210mm lenses. MF lenses work well too with a simple adapter, but have enough image circle to be shifted on any smaller sensor camera full frame or crop. Tested on a Canon 1Ds3 full frame 35mm DSLR.
- Black ink swap on the Epson 7880 and 9880An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson SP7880 and SP9880 printers, reducing ink waste. Use with care
- Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2-8 on Canon DSLRTesting the Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 lens mounted on a Canon 1Ds mk3 full frame DSLR with an adapter. Quick comparison with EF24-70 2.8L
- Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f2-8 lens reviewTests and review of using a manual focus Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f/2.8 lens on a Canon 1Ds mk3 DSLR with an M42-EF mount adapter. Includes discussion of adjustments for correct infinity focus
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- Looking at the Canon R5 cameraKeith Cooper looks at the Canon EOS R5 45MP mirrorless camera, from the POV of an architectural photographer, including extensive use of tilt shift lenses
- Diagonal lens shiftDiagonal lens shift - Keith looks at using a tilt/shift or shift only lens by combining horizontal and vertical lens movements. Using an off-set viewpoint in images
- What goes into a printWhat goes into a photo print - getting more from your prints. Looking at printers, image preparation and just what makes a print worth going on your wall. Why are you making prints and who are they for?
- Tilt-shift and moving beyond the small world lookThe model world style of photos taken with lens tilt is but a small part of what can be achieved with a tilt-shift lens. Controlling and using lens tilt is not the black art some seem to think...
- Helicon Focus focus stacking part 3Review: Helicon Focus for focus stacking part 3. Making highly detailed macro photographs of very small objects, using a stackshot macro rail and MP-E65mm macro lens. Camera options for mirrorless
- Helicon Focus focus stacking part 2Review: Helicon Focus for focus stacking part 2. Moving the camera to create source images for a stack. Creating depth of field.
- Helicon Focus for basic focus stackingReview: using Helicon Focus for basic focus stacking of images for increased depth of field for macro and close up photography - Photos taken by stepping lens focus
- The Paragon 500mm f8 lensTesting a manual focus Paragon 500mm f8 long focus lens on a Canon RP mirrorless full frame camera with adapters. Is it worth the few pounds paid for it
Training – for companies
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US