...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- All about using tilt and shift
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Luminar 2018 reviewLuminar 2018 photo editing software - a review update. Filters, speed and attention to RAW processing, with asset management on its way
- Luminar 2018 aims at LightroomLuminar 2018 - image editing update for Mac and Windows. Adds new filters and RAW processing. Faster software and an expansion of editing flexibility
- Topaz Studio additionsTopaz Studio additions - new functionality from existing Topaz plugins added to the free Topaz Studio editing application.
- Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR for Mac and WindowsMacphun Aurora 2018 HDR editing and creation software updated for Mac and Windows platforms. Speeds up processing and adds new features
- Luminar – now for Windows tooMacphun have announced a free open Beta test version of their Luminar photo editor that work on Windows PCs. Keith has reviewed Luminar (Mac version) in the past, so do have a look for a bit more detail of just what you can do with it, beyond some of the rather 'luminous' examples. It's actually capable of some very subtle adjustments.
- DxO Optics Pro V11 reviewLooking at DxO Optics Pro V11. Review of the RAW image processing software that Keith Cooper uses for processing many of his images. The review builds on his experiences of using the software since it first came out
- Luminar Neptune review updateLuminar Neptune review update - The MacPhun Image editor version 1.2 adds new features, operating modes and overall performance. Follows on from Keith's full review
- Topaz Studio image editorTopaz Studio image editor and plugin that also works stand alone and integrates Topaz plugins. Free and paid versions available
There are over 1100 free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- MonoChromePro pigment inks for black and white printingReview of the MonoChromePro pigment ink set for black and white printing. Includes custom profile curve creation procedures for using QuadToneRIP (QTR). Making use of black and diluted black (grey) ink sets for monochrome photo printing
- Swapping the black ink on the Epson 7600 and 9600Black ink swap - An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson 7600/9600 printers, reducing ink waste.
- Using your film scanner as a microscopeLooking at a variety of very small objects using a film scanner as a microscope, with unexposed film as a slide and slide cover. Examples show a Bee wing, sugar and salt crystals, and plant seeds.
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- Keith Cooper and black and white photographyBased on a lengthy interview for a magazine article, Keith Cooper talks about his black and white photography, influences and techniques
- Controlling a 1Ds3 via a WFT-E2 and iPhoneUsing the iPhone to connect to a Canon WFT-E2 wireless adapter attached to a Canon 1Ds Mk3. Remote control of the camera with a web browser over an ad hoc network.
- Won an iPhone 3Gs – now what for a photographer?Uses of an iPhone for a working commercial photographer - suggestions for someone new to mobile networking and apps
- DSLRRemotePro camera control software reviewReview of DSLRRemotePro from Breeze Systems. Software has been available for Windows PCs for some time, but has now been released to run on the Apple Mac.
- What tilt and shift lenses doTilt and Shift lenses. The Canon TS-E 24mm lens review and discussion. What do tilt/shift lenses do? Why they can be so useful and how do you use them?
- Physical Limits in Digital Photography 2Extended article: Photographer and physicist David B. Goldstein looks at how basic physics limits some aspects of where digital camera design and capabilities can progress.
- Using 645 MF lenses as shift lensesUsing Mamiya 645 medium format lenses with a shift adapter with Sekor 35/55/80/210mm lenses. MF lenses work well too with a simple adapter, but have enough image circle to be shifted on any smaller sensor camera full frame or crop. Tested on a Canon 1Ds3 full frame 35mm DSLR.
- July 4th, Liberty welcomes visitorsThe statue of Liberty in Leicester, on July 4th. A smaller version of the well known statue in the USA. Statue rescued from the top of an old building
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US