...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- All about using tilt and shift
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- DxO Optics Pro V10 – ReviewImage processing with version 10 of DxO Optics Pro. Lighting adjustment, lens corrections and processing of camera RAW files and photos
- Review – Topaz Glow V1Review of Topaz Glow. Version 1 of the image editing plugin to extract detail, edges and lines and apply artistic effects to images
- Review update – Topaz Impression V1.1.1Updated review for Topaz Impression Version 1.1.1. Wider range of adjustment options and preset styles for creative editing of images
- Review of Topaz Impression V1.0Topaz Impression. Review of version 1 of the image editing plugin to create artistic interpretations of photographic images, and edit them
- Review of Tonality Pro Review of Tonality Pro Software from Macphun to create black and white images from colour photographs. Plugin Version 1. Apple Mac software
- Review update Topaz Adjust V5.1Updated review for Topaz Adjust V5.1 image editing plugin. New cleaner, more modern interface, effects previews and ability to mask effects.
- Review of Topaz ReMask V4Topaz ReMask version 4 review. Image editing plugin for cutting out sections of images using various selection processes and tools.
- PhotoSweeper – cleaning up photo librariesA (Mac) application that will quickly sort through Lightroom, Aperture and iPhoto image libraries, or folders of images and locate duplicates and similar files (by time or by image content for example).
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- The wonders of bad lensesHome made DIY lenses are easy to make for your camera and a great way to see what really matters to you when photographing subjects. A simple lens made with cardboard
- Looking at AF and manual focus for the 7DLooking at AF and manual focus functionality for the Canon EOS 7D. Some initial testing with moving objects and old lenses
- Controlling a 1Ds3 via a WFT-E2 and iPhoneUsing the iPhone to connect to a Canon WFT-E2 wireless adapter attached to a Canon 1Ds Mk3. Remote control of the camera with a web browser over an ad hoc network.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 7600 and 9600How to make cartridges always read full by deactivating the ink level counter on the SP7600 and SP9600 Epson large format printers. To be used with care, but useful if you wanted to re-fill your ink carts
- Using 645 MF lenses as shift lensesUsing Mamiya 645 medium format lenses with a shift adapter with Sekor 35/55/80/210mm lenses. MF lenses work well too with a simple adapter, but have enough image circle to be shifted on any smaller sensor camera full frame or crop. Tested on a Canon 1Ds3 full frame 35mm DSLR.
- Black ink swap on the Epson 7880 and 9880An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson SP7880 and SP9880 printers, reducing ink waste. Use with care
- Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2-8 on Canon DSLRTesting the Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 lens mounted on a Canon 1Ds mk3 full frame DSLR with an adapter. Quick comparison with EF24-70 2.8L
- Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f2-8 lens reviewTests and review of using a manual focus Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f/2.8 lens on a Canon 1Ds mk3 DSLR with an M42-EF mount adapter. Includes discussion of adjustments for correct infinity focus
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- Book Review: Mastering ExposureBook Review: Mastering Exposure by David Taylor. Looking at the basic principles of photographic exposure, shutter, aperture and ISO. A great starting point for moving away from camera auto modes.
- Book Review: Mastering Long ExposureBook Review: Mastering Long Exposure - A definitive guide for photographers by Antony Zacharias. Looking at uses for and the techniques needed for long exposure photography in any lighting conditions.
- Book Review: From Dawn to DuskBook Review: 'From Dawn to Dusk' - Mastering the light in landscape photography, Technique and practice by Ross Hoddinott and Mark Bauer. The importance of planning and timing. Ammonite Press
- Aerial views of LeicesterThis collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- How to use a shift lens on your cameraHow to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to youTaking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- ProGrade card reader and cardsReview: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
- Architectural photography lens choicesLooking at lens choices for architectural photography. How Keith Cooper uses a nearby award nominated building to explore options when testing lenses - not on the time of clients
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US