Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Keith’s photography videos
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Dual monitor calibration on Windows XP PCsSome of the issues associated with setting up dual monitor computers running Windows XP, when trying to profile and calibrate them
- Beware of the Colour Management Tar PitColour management is great for improving the editing and printing of your photographs. Just make sure you understand why, and how it won't fix everything
- Better pictures for your web siteSimple steps for improving the quality of photos used on your web site. Things that can make a real difference.
- QTR and PrintFIX PRO to get better black and white printsUsing the PrintFIX Pro colorimeter with QTR to make greyscale ICC profiles to improve linearity for black and white printing.
- Why don’t my prints match my screen?Why your prints often don't match your screen very well. Some explanations, solutions and ways of dealing with the problem
- Why media settings are vital in your printer profilingOptimal media settings are essential for good results when making printer ICC profiles. Simple test prints make this an easier process with 3rd party papers
- How to remove Adobe Gamma Windows 2000 XP VistaRemoving and deactivating Adobe Gamma, if installed on Windows 2000 XP Vista computers. Avoids conflict with monitor profiling and calibration systems.
Videos by Keith Cooper
- Video: Dye or pigment ink printer choicesKeith Cooper looks at the differences between dye based and pigment based inks for inkjet photo printers. What works best? Is one type a better fit for some photographers (12m 40s)
- Video: BenQ SW321C 4k monitor reviewKeith looks at the BenQ 32 inch SW321C monitor. The 4k UHD display is aimed at the photographic market, giving 99% Adobe98 and 95% DCI-P3. It has a wide range of inputs and features hardware calibration. (19m)
- Video: Epson XP-15000 reviewKeith Cooper looks at the Epson XP-15000 A3+ (13" width) printer for making colour and B&W photo prints at up to 13" width. With double sided printing for plain paper documents and envelopes it has a paper tray for plain paper. (13m 40s)
- Video: Why use printer profilesKeith Cooper looks at the basic purpose of ICC printer profiles and how using them for your photo printing improves the quality and reliability of your photo printing. How printer profiles allow you to use a wide variety of papers for your photos. (6m 40s)
- Video: Printing to improve your photographyKeith looks at printing your own photos, and how it can improve all of your photography skills. The basics of starting to print, including getting print that look more like what you are seeing on screen and what papers to start with(10m 30s)
- Video: Choosing the best paper for your printsKeith Cooper looks at the process of choosing the best paper for your prints and why mastering the basics is a vital starting point (7m 30s)
- Video: B&W printing on the Canon PRO-300Black and white photo printing on the Canon PRO-300 A3+ (13") printer by Keith Cooper. Why the B&W print mode is the best approach (8 mins)
There are over 1100 free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are over 1100 free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- X-Rite ColorMunki Display reviewDetailed review of the X-Rite ColorMunki Display and software for calibrating and profiling monitors and projectors. Includes ambient light measurement function
- X-Rite i1Display Pro reviewi1Display pro review. X-Rite calibrator for monitor and projector profiling, with ambient light measurement. Works with i1profiler software package
- i1 Profiler printer profiling reviewi1 Profiler printer profiling review - part of X-Rite's colour management software for making ICC printer profiles. Tested using an iSis XL
- SpectraView Reference 271 DisplayA review of the NEC SV271 reference monitor. It's very much aimed at the proofing, pre-press and design markets, where its wide colour gamut (~Adobe98) and internal 14 bit LUT allow it to be calibrated and profiled to great accuracy.
- basICColor Discus calibrator reviewReview of the basICColor Discus colorimeter and software. Advanced monitor and projector calibration and profiling with ambient light measurement.
- Datacolor SpyderCheckr colour test card – ReviewSpydercheckr review. Datacolor have produced a coloured test target and software that aids fine tuning of the colour response of cameras. Camera profiling for RAW files.
- Datacolor Spyder 3 Elite review – Version 4 softwareDetailed review of V4 software for the Spyder 3 Elite monitor and projector display profiling and calibration device and software
- ColorChecker Passport software updateThe free X-Rite Colourchecker Passport software from X-Rite has been updated to V2 It supports camera DNG profiling, adding support for the the Colorchecker SG card and ICC profiling as well
- Datacolor Spyder X announcedDatacolor have announced their latest Spyder X monitor and projector calibration system, the Spyder X. Improved speed and profiling accuracy are claimed
- X-Rite Adobe CC offerX-Rite Adobe CC offer - X-Rite are offering a free one year Adobe CC photography plan with certain product purchases (X-Rite i1Display Pro, i1Photographer Kit, ColorMunki Photographer Kit or i1Studio).
- How poor is your colour managementA recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- Datacolor Colour management surveyHow does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Some benefits of Colour ManagementDatacolor survey with Leica forum users looks at the benefits of a colour managed workflow for photographers. Screen and print colour management
- X-Rite i1Studio launchedX-Rite announce i1Studio package for monitor calibration, scanner and printer profiling (colour and black & white). Updated software / functionality for the ColorMunki spectrophotometer
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more