...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- All about using tilt and shift
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300 paper reviewFotospeed Platinum Baryta 300 paper review. Smooth unglazed gloss surface 300gsm natural white paper. Making large exhibition quality prints
- Topaz JPEG to RAW AI reviewTopaz JPEG to RAW AI software converts JPEG image files into RAW (DNG) or TIFF images. Expands bit depth and colour space
- Topaz AI Gigapixel updateTopaz AI Gigapixel updated to V3 - Image resizing software resamples and resizes photos. Update improves performance and features clearer user interface.
- DxO Nik Collection updatedDxO Nik Collection has been updated to V1.1 to greatly improve compatibility with current image editing software packages such as Lightroom/Photoshop/Elements and Affinity Photo
- Luminar update adds AI sky enhancementReview update: Skylum Luminar image editing software's latest update (V1.3.2) adds sky enhancement, to other functional improvements and fixes.
- Skylum announces Luminar sky enhancer and updates to comeSkylum announces the Luminar sky enhancer update (V1.3.2) and some updates/offers to come later this year including image libraries.
- Topaz AI Clear V2Topaz AI Clear V2 - Improved noise reduction and sharpening software for use in Topaz Studio
- Topaz AI Gigapixel V2Topaz AI Gigapixel software is updated to V2. Improves GPU performance for image resizing and enlargement. 30 day trial available
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 4000Ensuring that ink cartridges always read as full on the Epson Stylus Pro 4000 17" printer. Turning off the ink counter is an alternative to using a chip reset device.
- Swap black ink on the Epson 4880 PrinterA different way of swapping black ink types on the Epson 4880 printer that reduces ink waste compared to the official technique. Use with care
- Modify Canon tilt shift lensChanging the shift axis alignment for Canon TS-E lenses, TS-E 90 modification shown. Similar for TS-E45 and TS-E 24 (mark 1 version)
- Maintenance tank in Epson large format printersLooking at the maintenance tank in some large format Epson printers. How to reset it when full so that it can continue to be used. Use this technique with care, since overflows are very messy.
- A Canon MPP view camera adapterMaking an adapter to fit a DSLR camera to the back of a 4x5 (5x4) view camera, using the existing lens and camera movements. Construction details and parts used. learning about camera movements
- Ultrachrome inks in an Epson 10000 large format printerConversion of an Epson SP10000 dye based ink printer to use Ultrachrome pigment based inks and carts from an Epson 10600. Changing ink types
- A digital pinhole camera using a Canon 1DsConstruction ideas and sample images for several different designs of pinhole adapter for a Canon full frame DSLR camera. Digital pinhole photography experiments at different focal lengths
- MonoChromePro pigment inks for black and white printingReview of the MonoChromePro pigment ink set for black and white printing. Includes custom profile curve creation procedures for using QuadToneRIP (QTR). Making use of black and diluted black (grey) ink sets for monochrome photo printing
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- 3×3 quick tips for improving your black and white photographyA collection of quick tips that can help improve the quality of your black and white photography. Simple steps to better monochrome pictures
- Digital’s Analogue – Expose to the right and exposureGuest article by Robert Fisher exploring some of the similarities between the Zone System, HDR techniques and the digital exposure guide known as ETTR or 'expose to the right'
- Sea of stepsA chance to see how a modern ultra wide shift lens performs on a familiar view of Wells Cathedral. Sea of steps - photography inspired by the work of FH Evans in 1903
- Preparations for Leicester Peoples’ Photography GalleryGetting ready to show some photos at an exhibition. Preparations for Leicester Peoples' Photography Gallery
- Photographing tiny thingsPhotographing small electronic components with a macrophotography setup. TS-E90mm lens and extension tubes
- The RomanescoWhilst spending some time photographing industrial products, Keith stops, to photograph a Romanesco or Roman cauliflower.
- Canon EF 8-15mm f4 L USM reviewDetailed review of the EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM fisheye zoom lens from Canon. Tested on a full frame DSLR, including a look at software corrections to expand the utility of the lens.
- New photography gallery to open in LeicesterA new photography gallery space is opening in Leicester at the old library in Belvoir Street. The Leicester Peoples Photography Gallery
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US