There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Keith Cooper’s City Light Luminar presets Keith's 'City Light' presets for MacPhun's Luminar photo editing software. Developed for architectural images when converting from colour to B&W. Before and after examples, and how they differ from 'straight' B&W conversions. Also using them as a luminance adjustment for colour images.
- Macro photography for a trade stand Macrophotography setup for producing photographs of small electronic components for the Electronica trade show. Photographs of components along with brightly coloured gummy bears on a polished metal surface.
- Print of a photo of a sunset from my loft Photographing an interesting sunset out of the loft window at home. How a simple photo, basic processing and printing produces a 22 inch by 33 inch print. Why any problems in making great prints probably doesn't come from deficiencies in equipment and software.
- Tutorial: A large black and white print of the harbour at Staithes Looking at the whole process, from photography to printing, Keith's tutorisl shows how he produced a 22" x 43" wide angle view of the harbour at Staithes in N. Yorkshire. Includes details on image stitching, B&W conversion and using masked adjustment layers.
- Better scenic and landscape holiday photos Keith was recently asked for a few quick and -simple- tips for better scenic vacation photos by a local business group. A few basic ideas that have stood the test of time and help create better looking landscape photos.
- Kaiser tabletop photo kit review 'Easyfit' tabletop product photography kit with shooting table and two continuous lights with diffusers. Basic product photo setup and examples of use.
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- Make your own macro lenses Using old lenses and equipment with modern digital cameras to make a high magnification macro lens. Reversing a lens and making a mount for it. Macro photography without the expense of buying a specialist macro lens
- The wonders of bad lenses Home made DIY lenses are easy to make for your camera and a great way to see what really matters to you when photographing subjects. A simple lens made with cardboard
- Looking at AF and manual focus for the 7D Looking at AF and manual focus functionality for the Canon EOS 7D. Some initial testing with moving objects and old lenses
- Controlling a 1Ds3 via a WFT-E2 and iPhone Using the iPhone to connect to a Canon WFT-E2 wireless adapter attached to a Canon 1Ds Mk3. Remote control of the camera with a web browser over an ad hoc network.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 7600 and 9600 How to make cartridges always read full by deactivating the ink level counter on the SP7600 and SP9600 Epson large format printers. To be used with care, but useful if you wanted to re-fill your ink carts
- Using 645 MF lenses as shift lenses Using Mamiya 645 medium format lenses with a shift adapter with Sekor 35/55/80/210mm lenses. MF lenses work well too with a simple adapter, but have enough image circle to be shifted on any smaller sensor camera full frame or crop. Tested on a Canon 1Ds3 full frame 35mm DSLR.
- Black ink swap on the Epson 7880 and 9880 An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson SP7880 and SP9880 printers, reducing ink waste. Use with care
- Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2-8 on Canon DSLR Testing the Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 lens mounted on a Canon 1Ds mk3 full frame DSLR with an adapter. Quick comparison with EF24-70 2.8L
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Street Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Street Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas helping you explore different aspects of street photography. Challenge your photo comfort zones.
- Review: Laowa 24mm f/14 relay macro Review of the Laowa 24mm f/14 relay 2x macro lens from Venus Optics, water resistant lens with built in LED variable lighting unit
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Experimental Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Experimental Photography. 52 project ideas to help you explore different aspects of photography, film and digital. with low and high tech ideas and hacks
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 9 British Wildlife Photography Awards 9: winners announced for the BWPA
- Book Review: Masters of Drone Photography Book Review: Masters of Drone Photography. Collected photographs and commentary from specialist drone photography experts. Practical advice about mastering your own drone work.
- Book Review: Mastering Macro Photography Book Review: Mastering Macro Photography by David Taylor. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographing small things
- Book Review: Mastering Exposure Book Review: Mastering Exposure by David Taylor. Looking at the basic principles of photographic exposure, shutter, aperture and ISO. A great starting point for moving away from camera auto modes.
- Book Review: Mastering Long Exposure Book Review: Mastering Long Exposure - A definitive guide for photographers by Antony Zacharias. Looking at uses for and the techniques needed for long exposure photography in any lighting conditions.
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks