There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- All about using tilt and shift
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Using Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 for dull colour images Contrast boosting by using Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 for dull colour images. Using software designed for producing black and white images to adjust image luminosity
- Close up macro – the Canon MP-E65 lens A short review of Canon's specialist macro lens the MP-E65. Offering up to x5 magnification. Tested on a Canon 1Ds mk3 full frame camera
- 3×3 quick tips for improving your black and white photography A collection of quick tips that can help improve the quality of your black and white photography. Simple steps to better monochrome pictures
- Photographing tiny things Photographing small electronic components with a macrophotography setup. TS-E90mm lens and extension tubes
- When Hyperfocal focusing is no good Why hyperfocal focusing often fails to give the depth of field that some suggest. A much simpler method that can be of more general use
- Printing greyscale images and removing unwanted colour tints Addressing problems with black and white printing. Some subtle changes in print colour casts with lighting changes, and removing colour tints from monochrome prints.
- Which side of the paper to print on Some fine art papers look almost the same on each side. How to tell which side to print on if you are unsure
- Photography training directory Photography training directory - professional photographers who offer photography training and courses. Submissions welcome
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 4000 Ensuring that ink cartridges always read as full on the Epson Stylus Pro 4000 17" printer. Turning off the ink counter is an alternative to using a chip reset device.
- Swap black ink on the Epson 4880 Printer A different way of swapping black ink types on the Epson 4880 printer that reduces ink waste compared to the official technique. Use with care
- Modify Canon tilt shift lens Changing the shift axis alignment for Canon TS-E lenses, TS-E 90 modification shown. Similar for TS-E45 and TS-E 24 (mark 1 version)
- Maintenance tank in Epson large format printers Looking at the maintenance tank in some large format Epson printers. How to reset it when full so that it can continue to be used. Use this technique with care, since overflows are very messy.
- A Canon MPP view camera adapter Making an adapter to fit a DSLR camera to the back of a 4x5 (5x4) view camera, using the existing lens and camera movements. Construction details and parts used. learning about camera movements
- Ultrachrome inks in an Epson 10000 large format printer Conversion of an Epson SP10000 dye based ink printer to use Ultrachrome pigment based inks and carts from an Epson 10600. Changing ink types
- A digital pinhole camera using a Canon 1Ds Construction ideas and sample images for several different designs of pinhole adapter for a Canon full frame DSLR camera. Digital pinhole photography experiments at different focal lengths
- MonoChromePro pigment inks for black and white printing Review of the MonoChromePro pigment ink set for black and white printing. Includes custom profile curve creation procedures for using QuadToneRIP (QTR). Making use of black and diluted black (grey) ink sets for monochrome photo printing
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- Book Review: Mastering Long Exposure Book Review: Mastering Long Exposure - A definitive guide for photographers by Antony Zacharias. Looking at uses for and the techniques needed for long exposure photography in any lighting conditions.
- Book Review: From Dawn to Dusk Book Review: 'From Dawn to Dusk' - Mastering the light in landscape photography, Technique and practice by Ross Hoddinott and Mark Bauer. The importance of planning and timing. Ammonite Press
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
- Architectural photography lens choices Looking at lens choices for architectural photography. How Keith Cooper uses a nearby award nominated building to explore options when testing lenses - not on the time of clients
- K&F ND1000 filter review Review from testing the K&F Concept ND1000 10 stop neutral density filter for longer exposures. 82mm low profile glass lens filter
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)