There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- When Hyperfocal focusing is no good Why hyperfocal focusing often fails to give the depth of field that some suggest. A much simpler method that can be of more general use
- Printing greyscale images and removing unwanted colour tints Addressing problems with black and white printing. Some subtle changes in print colour casts with lighting changes, and removing colour tints from monochrome prints.
- Which side of the paper to print on Some fine art papers look almost the same on each side. How to tell which side to print on if you are unsure
- Photography training directory Photography training directory - professional photographers who offer photography training and courses. Submissions welcome
- Full width printing Epson 3800 and OSX 10.6 Solving full width (17") printing problems with the Epson SP3800 and Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard). tested with Epson Traditional Photo Paper
- Out at night with the 7D Out at night with a Canon 7D. How does it handle shooting at high ISO and how should you process the images you take with it
- What tilt and shift lenses do Tilt and Shift lenses. The Canon TS-E 24mm lens review and discussion. What do tilt/shift lenses do? Why they can be so useful and how do you use them?
- Jane Fonda and Me… Jane Fonda and me... digitally printing 35mm photos taken on the set of Barbarella. Turning a scanned negative into a 42" print of Jane Fonda in Barbarella
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- Controlling a 1Ds3 via a WFT-E2 and iPhone Using the iPhone to connect to a Canon WFT-E2 wireless adapter attached to a Canon 1Ds Mk3. Remote control of the camera with a web browser over an ad hoc network.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 7600 and 9600 How to make cartridges always read full by deactivating the ink level counter on the SP7600 and SP9600 Epson large format printers. To be used with care, but useful if you wanted to re-fill your ink carts
- Using 645 MF lenses as shift lenses Using Mamiya 645 medium format lenses with a shift adapter with Sekor 35/55/80/210mm lenses. MF lenses work well too with a simple adapter, but have enough image circle to be shifted on any smaller sensor camera full frame or crop. Tested on a Canon 1Ds3 full frame 35mm DSLR.
- Black ink swap on the Epson 7880 and 9880 An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson SP7880 and SP9880 printers, reducing ink waste. Use with care
- Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2-8 on Canon DSLR Testing the Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 lens mounted on a Canon 1Ds mk3 full frame DSLR with an adapter. Quick comparison with EF24-70 2.8L
- Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f2-8 lens review Tests and review of using a manual focus Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f/2.8 lens on a Canon 1Ds mk3 DSLR with an M42-EF mount adapter. Includes discussion of adjustments for correct infinity focus
- Black ink swap on the Epson 7800 and 9800 An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson 7800/9800 printers, reducing ink waste.
- Deactivate the ink level counter on the Epson 4000 Ensuring that ink cartridges always read as full on the Epson Stylus Pro 4000 17" printer. Turning off the ink counter is an alternative to using a chip reset device.
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- K&F Square 100mm ND1000 filter review Review: Testing the K&F 100mm square filter holder and 100mm ND1000 10 stop neutral density filter for longer exposures. Comes with adapters for lens filter sizes from 52mm to 82mm
- Better photography by printing your work Better Photography from prints. Printing your photos is a useful skill to work on. 5 steps towards getting great prints that will help you improve all of your photography
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Street Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Street Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas helping you explore different aspects of street photography. Challenge your photo comfort zones.
- Review: Laowa 24mm f/14 relay macro Review of the Laowa 24mm f/14 relay 2x macro lens from Venus Optics, water resistant lens with built in LED variable lighting unit
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Experimental Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Experimental Photography. 52 project ideas to help you explore different aspects of photography, film and digital. with low and high tech ideas and hacks
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 9 British Wildlife Photography Awards 9: winners announced for the BWPA
- Book Review: Masters of Drone Photography Book Review: Masters of Drone Photography. Collected photographs and commentary from specialist drone photography experts. Practical advice about mastering your own drone work.
- Book Review: Mastering Macro Photography Book Review: Mastering Macro Photography by David Taylor. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographing small things
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)