There are a growing number of entirely free tutorials and ‘how to’ articles on this site. This page provides links to all of them.
They range from photo composition to ‘photo-hacks’ or building your own specialist lenses from discarded camera equipment.
Many of our articles and reviews are also written to help explain how and why you would use different equipment and techniques, not just a list of a product’s functionality.
If you think of something that might be useful, please let Keith know – many articles have come from questions asked by readers.
The sections below split all the articles into three broad categories.
Specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Photography book reviews
- The business side of photography
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Editing your photos. Tools and tips
- Photographing tiny things Photographing small electronic components with a macrophotography setup. TS-E90mm lens and extension tubes
- When Hyperfocal focusing is no good Why hyperfocal focusing often fails to give the depth of field that some suggest. A much simpler method that can be of more general use
- Printing greyscale images and removing unwanted colour tints Addressing problems with black and white printing. Some subtle changes in print colour casts with lighting changes, and removing colour tints from monochrome prints.
- Which side of the paper to print on Some fine art papers look almost the same on each side. How to tell which side to print on if you are unsure
- Photography training directory Photography training directory - professional photographers who offer photography training and courses. Submissions welcome
- Full width printing Epson 3800 and OSX 10.6 Solving full width (17") printing problems with the Epson SP3800 and Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard). tested with Epson Traditional Photo Paper
- Out at night with the 7D Out at night with a Canon 7D. How does it handle shooting at high ISO and how should you process the images you take with it
- What tilt and shift lenses do Tilt and Shift lenses. The Canon TS-E 24mm lens review and discussion. What do tilt/shift lenses do? Why they can be so useful and how do you use them?
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
Using equipment in non-standard ways. Hacks and mods.
- Simple Inkjet printer cleaning Cleaning old, clogged and dried up ink from inkjet printers using commonly available household cleaning products. Common solvents and additives quickly cut though ink buildup. A look at different household cleaners and how they can help shift dried up printer ink
- Lens testing for coma with a laser star Testing lenses for coma with a laser pointer star simulator in the daytime. Simple test setup also shows starburst diffraction spikes
- Techart EF lens to Fuji GFX lens adapter Techart EF lens to Fuji GFX lens adapter with AF functionality. Lens aperture can be set from the camera control dial. Firmware is updateable
- DIY Telecentric macro lenses Joining various old lenses together with filter rings and cardboard makes a range of specialist lenses that normally cost thousands of pounds. Simple experiments with telecentric macro lenses.
- Canon 5Ds is fine with old lenses Despite worries that many more megapixels might mean old lenses needed replacing, some tests with a 5Ds show that it benefits all lenses. A rising tide floats all boats
- Canon EW-73C lens hood from modifying an EW-73B Lens hood for the EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS Modifying a cheap third party EW-73B lens hood to match a Canon EW-73C lens hood at a fraction of the price.
- Zeiss MC S 135mm f3-5 on Canon 100D Testing an M42 screw fit Zeiss MC S 135mm f3.5 manual focus telephoto lens on a Canon 100D/SL1 crop sensor camera with an M42-EF adapter.
- Photosniper 300mm with Canon 100D Using the Russian Tair 3 phs Photosniper 300mm f4.5 lens and rifle stock with a Canon EOS 100D/SL1 DSLR. Includes modification to use external trigger
Ideas for developing photographic skills and aspects of photographic composition.
- Using the Canon EOS RP Keith looks at the EOS RP. A Canon DSLR user tries out the Canon EOS RP 26MP FF mirrorless camera - how is it to use, what settings work, and what needs doing for 'pro' use
- K&F Square 100mm ND1000 filter review Review: Testing the K&F 100mm square filter holder and 100mm ND1000 10 stop neutral density filter for longer exposures. Comes with adapters for lens filter sizes from 52mm to 82mm
- Better photography by printing your work Better Photography from prints. Printing your photos is a useful skill to work on. 5 steps towards getting great prints that will help you improve all of your photography
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Street Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Street Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas helping you explore different aspects of street photography. Challenge your photo comfort zones.
- Review: Laowa 24mm f/14 relay macro Review of the Laowa 24mm f/14 relay 2x macro lens from Venus Optics, water resistant lens with built in LED variable lighting unit
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Experimental Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Experimental Photography. 52 project ideas to help you explore different aspects of photography, film and digital. with low and high tech ideas and hacks
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 9 British Wildlife Photography Awards 9: winners announced for the BWPA
- Book Review: Masters of Drone Photography Book Review: Masters of Drone Photography. Collected photographs and commentary from specialist drone photography experts. Practical advice about mastering your own drone work.
Training – for companies
These are aspects of training that I provide (on location, not at our offices) as part of Northlight’s business.
We also have a training directory that is freely available for any professional photographer who offers training.
It’s arranged by location, so as long as you are a pro photographer, a free link is available
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)