TS-E 17 and teleconverter (EF Extender) – addendum
Updater note: using the Canon TS-E17mm f4L lens with an extender
Tilt shift lens and teleconverter – missing EXIF data
UPDATE 2018: We have a detailed TS-E17 review to go alongside our reviews of Canon three new (2017) TS-E lenses.
The TS-E17 does not indicate the presence of the teleconverter in the normal EXIF file data
It seems that although the Canon EF Extenders work with TS-E lenses they are not 100% supported.
Thus the EXIF data (and camera display) shows what the lens is set to, not the effective aperture. So to get an effective aperture of f/11 I set the camera to f/5.6 with the Canon 2x converter.
Note: the different versions of Canon teleconverter are listed in an article on our EFlens.com site
This with just the 17 mm
and with x2 TC
No sign of the presence of the TeleConverter in the EXIF data.
Not all lenses can work with an extender. The list on EFLens.com shows suggested lenses that will work.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All articles and reviews are listed on our main Articles and Reviews page, or use the search box at the top of any page. Experimental items, hacks and how-to articles are all listed in the Photo-hacks category.
Some articles that may be of interest:
- Using a tilt/shift lens - what it is they actually do
- Focus with tilted lenses - lots more information about what's going on when you tilt a lens. See also: Focusing the view camera - External link to [very] detailed coverage of camera movements
- Keith's tilt table spreadsheet (zipped file)
- Using old lenses on your DSLR - fun with adapters
- Keith's lens reviews and lens related articles
More of Keith's articles/reviews (Google's picks to match this page)