Printing and paper
Printers and printing
– making better prints
Suggest a product review or article?
See our Review guidelines for more details.
More specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Keith’s photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial, hacks and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper’s printing and paper articles and reviews
Printer and paper reviews, along with articles about making better prints.
- Replacing Canon large format printheads – iPF8300 / PF05 Replacing a Canon large format printhead on the 44" iPF8300 / PF05 printer after one fails. Canon large format print heads are a consumable part and fully user replaceable.
- Cleaning Canon printheads – iPF8300 – PF05 Cleaning and replacing the printheads - on a Canon iPF8300 large format printer, with the PF-05 printhead. Canon large format print heads are a user replaceable part. Whilst cleaning might help, it could be that you need a new print head.
- Changing the Canon iPF8300 MC-08 maintenance cartridge Changing the maintenance cartridge (waste ink tank) on large format Canon iPF printers. Example shows MC-08 cartridge on an iPF8300 44" printer
- Review – Template Sherpa photo layout software Print layout software from BlueCubit. Set up print templates to hold images from different sources. Scaling and album page layout. Mix CMYK and RGB
- Canon iPF6450/iPF6400 printer reviews Overview of Keith Cooper's reviews of the Canon iPF 6450 printer, along with tests of specific paper types. Also includes printer setup and the optional spectrophotometer unit
- Canon iPF6400 – 6450 printer review Detailed review of the imagePROGRAF iPF6450 (ipF6400) 24 inch large format printer. Colour management and print setup for colour and black and white
- Canon iPF6450 SU-21 spectrophotometer use Canon iPF6450 SU-21 spectrophotometer use, including basic testing of printing and measuring patches with the SU-21 using the supplied Canon software.
- Hahnemuhle Albrecht Durer paper review Review of Hahnemuhle Albrecht Durer textured watercolour paper. Bight white, OBA free 210gsm mould made textured art paper
- Innova Decor papers review Review of Innova IFA23 Decor watercolour paper. Textured rough surface paper is 245gsm weight and has a bright white finish
- Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White paper review Review of the 310 gsm Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White paper. 100% cotton based paper with smooth surface and moderate OBA content.
- Innova FibaPrint Matte 280gsm IFA 39 paper review Review of the IFA39 FibaPrint Matte paper from Innova. Smooth surface finish with minimal OBA content. 280gsm weight. Tested on Canon iPF6450.
- Why you must sharpen images An awful lot of uninformed comment about the need for and desirability of image sharpening clutters up forums. Myths and misunderstanding spread far and wide, and the temptation to ignore image sharpening, because it's contentious, is easy to understand.
- iPrint Pure 3D film – media review Review of iPrint Pure 3D film. Transparent 500 micron printable film with apparent 'bubblewrap' embossed holographic texture. Tested in a Canon iPF8300 printer
- Canon iPF6450-6400 setup and assembly Assembly and setup guide for the Canon imagePROGRAF 6400 and 6450 printer. Unpacking, and installation of PF05 printheads and ink
- Canon iPF6450 SU-21 spectrophotometer setup Canon iPF6450 SU-21 spectrophotometer setup guide. Initial setup and attachment for the SU21 X-Rite spectro on the 24" large format printer.
- Epson Stylus Photo R2000 review Epson Stylus Photo R2000 full review, using the SP R2000 A3+ printer for colour and black and white printing, with custom ICC profiles. 13 inch print width and roll media support
- Canon Pixma PRO-10 printer review Detailed Canon Pixma PRO-10 printer review, looking at colour and black and white pigment ink based printing a range of paper types up to A3 plus size (13" width)
- PermaJet Titanium Lustre – paper review Paper review of PermaJet Titanium Lustre paper. Metallic finish photo paper gives a distinctive reflection of light to paper surface. 280 gsm
- Making a black and white photograph The whole process of making a large black and white photograph, right from stopping to take the photo, through to final fine-art printmaking.
- ImageNest RIP review V3.5 update Review of the ImageNest RIP by Bluecubit. Version 3.5 expands BPC, sharpening and colour management for a wide range of printers
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)