Printing and paper
Printers and printing
– making better prints
Suggest a product review or article?
See our Review guidelines for more details.
More specialist index pages
- Keith’s photo blog
- Articles and Reviews
- B&W printing & photography
- Colour Management
- Keith’s photography book reviews
- All about using tilt and shift
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial, hacks and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
Keith Cooper’s printing and paper articles and reviews
Printer and paper reviews, along with articles about making better prints.
Where to start? Better photography through printing your photos
- Canon PRO-1000 printer reviewDetailed review of the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 17" pigment ink printer. 11 inks and a colour optimiser coat. Tested for colour and B&W printing on a range of media types. Paper sixes up to A2, with borderless print options.
- Epson SureColor P7000 printer reviewDetailed review of the Epson SureColor SC-P7000 24" width large format printer. Using the P7000 for fine art and photo printing with the LLk ink option. Review applies to the larger 44" SC-P9000 as well.
- ImageNest RIP review: V4 updateV4 of ImageNest. Mac based RIP handles image layout and sizing for any connected printer. Image nesting and full control over colour management.
- Innova Fine art cotton papers IFA26,27 ReviewPaper reviews for Innova IFA-26 and Innova IFA-27 bright white cotton Soft Textured and Cold Press Rough Textured matte art papers.
- Innova Gloss Polycotton Canvas review IFA 56Review of Innova IFA-56 glossy polycotton canvas. Natural white 390gsm canvas for aqueous pigment and dye based inks. Microporous Gloss Coating.
- Review of the GOframe canvas display systemReview of the GOframe canvas print system. It consists of pre-cut wooden frame sections and jigs that allow for simple attachment and stretching of a canvas, with no specialist tools.
- Canon iPF8300 review and notesOngoing Canon iPF8300 review and notes about using the imagePROGRAF iPF8300 44 inch large format printer, by Keith Cooper. Notes date back to setting up the printer in November 2010
- Epson SureColor SC-P400 printer reviewDetailed review of the Epson SureColor SC-P400 13 inch width (A3+) pigment ink printer. Wide range of media and prints on roll paper up to 3.2m long
- HP ENVY 5540 printer reviewReview of the All-in-one HP Envy 5540 4-colour (CMYK) inkjet printer. A4 print size with double sided (duplex) printing and 6x4 borderless photo printing
- Canon 5Ds print performanceEvaluating the Canon 5Ds in terms of real world print performance with a great lens, specifically comparing prints taken with the 11MP EOS 1Ds and 21MP EOS 1Ds mk3. Prints edited and optimised for each camera at a range of sizes
- Epson SureColor SC-P800 printer reviewDetailed review of the Epson SureColor P800 printer. A2 sheet paper (17" width) and roll paper support. Tested with a variety of paper types, colour and B&W
- Epson SureColor P600 printer reviewDetailed Epson SureColor P600 review. The SC-P600 is an A3 plus (13" width) pigment ink printer tested with different papers for colour and black & white. It supports borderless printing, roll paper and CD/DVD printing
- Epson SureColor P600 initial setupSetting up the Epson SC-P600 A3plus (13 inch width) printer. Installing inks, drivers and connecting the printer to your computer.
- Print setup for a new fine art paperSetup and profiling an unknown new paper for colour and Black & White printing. Looking at the whole process including media settings and types, and creating icc printer profiles.
- Local prints sellIf you want to sell landscape photography, then local views will almost always sell better. Some observations about the business of selling prints. Why some things work better and why you as a photographer may not be the best person to ask.
- How much ink is there in my cartridgesEstimated printer ink capacities for different cartridge types for OEM inkjet printers from different manufacturers (Canon, Epson and HP)
- Canon Pixma PRO-100 printer reviewDetailed review of the Canon Pixma PRO-100 printer. A 13" width (A3+ paper size) dye ink based printer for colour and black and white.
- Museo Silver Rag reviewLooking at Museo Silver Rag 300gsm semi-gloss cotton rag paper, tested on a Canon iPF8300. Paper supplied under the Canon Oce brand.
- Museo Max 250 cotton rag paperTesting Museo Max 250, a cotton OBA free smoothish ('velina') matt art paper on the Canon iPF8300. Includes print set-up details
- Forced updates…Some notes about updates for Apple Macs needed for day to day work, printing, storage and keeping old but still perfectly useful software alive.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)