...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
Many of the books further down the page are the personal recommendations of Keith Cooper (they are on his bookshelf and well thumbed). They should be available at any good bookstore, so do have a look.
Keith’s own book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Keith has also included other book reviews covering different aspects of photography and aimed at different levels of expertise.
Old photography books from 2nd hand bookshops make up a big part of his book collection – just because it’s film doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from looking at good photos…
See the main blog page for Keith’s photography articles and reviews
- Book Review: Mastering Macro PhotographyBook Review: Mastering Macro Photography by David Taylor. Equipment, lighting and technique for photographing small things
- Book Review: Mastering ExposureBook Review: Mastering Exposure by David Taylor. Looking at the basic principles of photographic exposure, shutter, aperture and ISO. A great starting point for moving away from camera auto modes.
- Book Review: Mastering Long ExposureBook Review: Mastering Long Exposure - A definitive guide for photographers by Antony Zacharias. Looking at uses for and the techniques needed for long exposure photography in any lighting conditions.
- Book Review: From Dawn to DuskBook Review: 'From Dawn to Dusk' - Mastering the light in landscape photography, Technique and practice by Ross Hoddinott and Mark Bauer. The importance of planning and timing. Ammonite Press
- Book Review The Digital Zone System by R FisherBook Review: The Digital Zone System: Taking Control from Capture to Print by by Robert Fisher. Applying the zone system to digital photography
- Book Review B&W printing by George DeWolfeKeith Cooper reviews B&W printing by George DeWolfe - part of the Digital masters series. A 'guide to producing exhibition quality black and white prints'
Photography business related books
- Book Review: The photography exercise bookBook Review: The photography exercise book by Bert Krages. Training your eye to shoot like a pro. Subjects to study and photograph that will help train your photographic vision and produce the photos you want (and know why)
- Book Review: Starting Your Career as a Freelance PhotographerBook review: Starting Your Career as a Freelance Photographer (Tad Crawford, Chuck DeLaney) Just how do you run a photography business. What things do you need to address? How will you market and sell your services, and make your business last.
- Book review – Marketing and promotionBook Review: The Photographer's Guide to Marketing and Self-Promotion (Maria Piscopo) Reviewed by Keith Cooper, professional commercial photographer and author of many of our business related articles
- Book Review On Being a PhotographerKeith Cooper reviews the book 'On Being a Photographer: A Practical Guide' by Bill Jay and David Hurn ISBN-13: 978-1888803068
- Book Review Make money with your digital photography Erin ManningKeith Cooper reviews Make money with your digital photography by Erin Manning, a comprehensive guide and introduction to the business of photography
Some of Keith’s favourite books
These are older books that don’t have full reviews, but are still favourites on Keith’s bookshelves. Always worth looking out for in 2nd hand lists if you can’t find them new.
A marvellous book by Terry Hope, that brings together a collection of works by different photographers with their own comments.
Read it and you will soon be reaching for the camera…
ISBN: 2880464803 (UK edition)
ISBN: 1883403685 (US edition)
A classic from Ansel Adams.
Many techniques and concepts are applicable to the production of digital images.
Photoshop for Photographers – Martin Evening
Learn many of the features of Photoshop — written from a photographer’s perspective. Comprehensive and clearly written. The section on colour management (valid even for black and white) is particularly clear in its coverage of an area that many find mysterious. Includes CD with additional material.
There are versions from Photoshop 6 through to CC and I think I’ve many on the bookshelf.
- Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers
A Tree, a Blade of Grass
Collection of colour photographs by Shinzo Maeda. Images of the Japanese landscape.
It’s a book that I never tire of just picking up and browsing. I really do look forward to visiting Japan one day…
Mastering Digital Printing
“The Photographer’s and Artist’s Guide to High-Quality Digital Output” An extremely comprehensive guide to what can be achieved in the digital realm. Covers all the major technologies and techniques. Excellent choice for both amateurs and pros alike.
By Harald Johnson
Real World Colour Management
I often get asked for suggestions about learning more about the nuts and bolts of Colour Management.
My usual suggestion is Bruce Fraser’s Real World Colour Management.
My own copy is well thumbed. It’s my first port of call if I’m asked a question and I feel I don’t quite understand an issue well enough to be absolutely sure of an answer.
Real World Camera Raw
By Bruce Fraser (who is much missed)
- Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS3
Photoshop Masking & Compositing
Possibly ‘the’ book on masking. An essential element of much photo manipulation.
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)