These books are the personal recommendations of Keith Cooper (they are on his bookshelf and well thumbed)
They should be available at any good bookstore, so do have a look.
Old photography books from 2nd hand bookshops make up a fair bit of our book collection – just because it’s film doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from looking at good photos…
Publishers: Contact Keith if you’ve new and relevant titles you’d like considering for review
See the main blog page for Keith’s photography articles and reviews
- Book review – Marketing and promotion Book Review: The Photographer's Guide to Marketing and Self-Promotion (Maria Piscopo) Reviewed by Keith Cooper, professional commercial photographer and author of many of our business related articles
- Book Review The Digital Zone System by R Fisher Book Review: The Digital Zone System: Taking Control from Capture to Print by by Robert Fisher. Applying the zone system to digital photography
- Book Review B&W printing by George DeWolfe Keith Cooper reviews B&W printing by George DeWolfe - part of the Digital masters series. A 'guide to producing exhibition quality black and white prints'
- Book Review On Being a Photographer Keith Cooper reviews the book 'On Being a Photographer: A Practical Guide' by Bill Jay and David Hurn ISBN-13: 978-1888803068
- Book Review Make money with your digital photography Erin Manning Keith Cooper reviews Make money with your digital photography by Erin Manning, a comprehensive guide and introduction to the business of photography
Some of Keith’s favourite books
A marvellous book by Terry Hope, that brings together a collection of works by different photographers with their own comments.
Read it and you will soon be reaching for the camera…
ISBN: 2880464803 (UK edition)
ISBN: 1883403685 (US edition)
A classic from Ansel Adams.
Many techniques and concepts are applicable to the production of digital images.
Photoshop for Photographers – Martin Evening
Learn many of the features of Photoshop — written from a photographer’s perspective. Comprehensive and clearly written. The section on colour management (valid even for black and white) is particularly clear in its coverage of an area that many find mysterious. Includes CD with additional material.
There are versions from Photoshop 6 through to CC and I think I’ve many on the bookshelf.
- Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers
A Tree, a Blade of Grass
Collection of colour photographs by Shinzo Maeda. Images of the Japanese landscape.
It’s a book that I never tire of just picking up and browsing. I really do look forward to visiting Japan one day…
Mastering Digital Printing
“The Photographer’s and Artist’s Guide to High-Quality Digital Output” An extremely comprehensive guide to what can be achieved in the digital realm. Covers all the major technologies and techniques. Excellent choice for both amateurs and pros alike.
By Harald Johnson (who runs the useful dpandi site).
Real World Colour Management
I often get asked for suggestions about learning more about the nuts and bolts of Colour Management.
My usual suggestion is Bruce Fraser’s Real World Colour Management.
My own copy is well thumbed. It’s my first port of call if I’m asked a question and I feel I don’t quite understand an issue well enough to be absolutely sure of an answer.
Real World Camera Raw
By Bruce Fraser (who is much missed)
- Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2
- Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS3
Photoshop Masking & Compositing
Possibly ‘the’ book on masking. An essential element of much photo manipulation.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)