...Get our Newsletter for new articles/reviews and why not subscribe to Keith's YouTube Channel
...Keith's book about how to use tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Our site contains affiliate links - these help support the site. See our Advertising policies for more
All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Keith’s book about using tilt/shift lenses is now available.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Keith’s photography videos
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- All about using tilt and shift
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Photography book reviews
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper’s Articles and reviews
Photography, printing, colour management, tutorials
The full listing of all of the hundreds of articles that Keith has written.
Short news items (product launches) are listed on Keith’s Photo Blog page
- Video: K&F ND2-32 variable ND filterUsing a variable (ND2-ND32) neutral density filter. Allowing for slower shutter speeds to blur movement and wider apertures to emphasise lens tilt or shallow depth of field (7m)
- Video: Printing greeting cards – Canon PRO-200Keith Cooper looks at greeting cards printed on Canon Pixma PRO-200 - why choosing the right card type is vital, includes specific high resolution test images for cards(12m 40s)
- Video: Using old lenses on modern camerasHow mount adapters let you use old lenses with modern cameras both DSLR and mirrorless. Using old lenses on new cameras and why it's fun to experiment (15m)
- Video: Falcon Eyes F7 mini LED lightingKeith looks at some features of the Falcon Eyes F7 Mini LED variable RGB colour lamp for photographic lighting. A white light CCT mode allows a colour temperature setting from 2500K-9000K. An RGB colour mode allows setting of colours in RGB and HSL modes. (7m 30s)
- Video: Printing and editing wide gamut imagesKeith Cooper looks at printing and editing wide gamut colourful images: Monitor choices and settings, working spaces, printer colour profiles and aspects of soft proofing (22m)
- Video: Differentiating your photo businessStanding out from the crowd - why specialise & differentiate your photography business from the rest. What helps your business profitability and is it a big enough niche. Does Keith need a new hat? (9m 20s)
- Diagonal lens shiftDiagonal lens shift - Keith looks at using a tilt/shift or shift only lens by combining horizontal and vertical lens movements. Using an off-set viewpoint in images
- On being an architectural photographer 1Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 1 looks at how the business of photographing architecture works, from a business, skills and creative point of view - Why Keith Cooper took up architectural and construction photography
- X-Rite ColorChecker SG reviewReview of the ColorChecker SG card from X-Rite. The advanced colour reference card has a wider range of colours than the standard 24 patch ColorChecker card used for creating camera profiles. Creates DNG and ICC profiles - also useful for scanner profiling
- Jessop zoom slide duplicator lensTesting a 35mm zoom slide copier on a modern digital camera with some slides from the 1970's. Includes image processing and lighting concerns and a quick look at photo image quality from the 70's
- i1Studio update 1.5X-rite updates i1Studio to version 1.5. Improves profile accuracy and adds i1Display Studio (monitor calibration) support
- SpyderPrint black and white print refinementBlack and white printer test image for use with the Datacolor SpyderPrint spectrocolorimeter. Check linearity and black and white print performance with Photoshop & Affinity Photo
- What goes into a printWhat goes into a photo print - getting more from your prints. Looking at printers, image preparation and just what makes a print worth going on your wall. Why are you making prints and who are they for?
- Tilt-shift and moving beyond the small world lookThe model world style of photos taken with lens tilt is but a small part of what can be achieved with a tilt-shift lens. Controlling and using lens tilt is not the black art some seem to think...
- PermaJet FB Pearl 300gsmPaper review: Permajet FB Pearl 300gsm lustre/pearl finish photo paper. Fibre based baryta paper for pigment and dye based inks - give a bit more of a 'darkroom' feel to some images
- Black and white test image for use with i1iSisBlack and white test image and 51 step (2%) greyscale step wedge for use with X-Rite i1iSis scanning spectrophotometer. Includes target files and downloadable test image
- Permajet Titanium Gloss 300 metallicPaper review: Permajet Titanium Gloss 300gsm metallic gloss finish photo paper. High gloss paper for pigment and dye based inks
- Printer Test ImagesCollection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Helicon Focus focus stacking part 3Review: Helicon Focus for focus stacking part 3. Making highly detailed macro photographs of very small objects, using a stackshot macro rail and MP-E65mm macro lens. Camera options for mirrorless
- Using old lenses on a modern DSLR/mirrorless cameraLens adapters allow you to use old lenses on a modern DSLR or mirrorless camera. Many old lenses work very well if you can live without autofocus. Performance varies, but it's possible to learn lot of use for the rest of your photography
- Gigapixel AI V4.5 updateGigapixel AI V4.5 update adds batch processing for image upsizing. User interface allows upscaling parameters to be set per image in batch mode. Free 30 day demo available
- Helicon Focus focus stacking part 2Review: Helicon Focus for focus stacking part 2. Moving the camera to create source images for a stack. Creating depth of field.
- Helicon Focus for basic focus stackingReview: using Helicon Focus for basic focus stacking of images for increased depth of field for macro and close up photography - Photos taken by stepping lens focus
- The Paragon 500mm f8 lensTesting a manual focus Paragon 500mm f8 long focus lens on a Canon RP mirrorless full frame camera with adapters. Is it worth the few pounds paid for it
- Fine tuning black and white photo printingFine tuning black and white photo printing with a flatbed scanner when using using monochrome print settings such as Epson ABW or Canon Black and White photo print modes. Test for optimal media settings. Print linearisation with curves.
- Dual illuminant DNG profilesQuickly creating DNG dual illuminant camera profiles for testing lenses, cameras, & lighting under variable lighting conditions. using an X-Rite colorchecker card and their free camera calibrations software.
- Disk Drill recovery and photo backupsDisk Drill file and photo recovery software and photo backups for Macintosh and Windows. Backup strategies for photographers, so you shouldn't be caught out
- ImageNest RIP review: V5 updateImagenest Version 5. Mac based RIP handles image layout and sizing for printing to any connected printer. Image nesting and full control over colour management.
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
Keith explains tilt and shift lenses
Keith has written a book that looks at the many ways that tilt/shift lenses can benefit your photography from a technical and creative point of view.
There is also a specific index page on the site with links to all Keith's articles, reviews and videos about using tilt and shift.
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews. Other sections include Colour management and Keith's camera hacks - there are over 1200 articles/reviews here...
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US
We're an Amazon.com affiliate, so receive payment if you buy via Amazon US