All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Topaz Texture Effects Review – V2 update Texture Effects is updated to V2. It can apply many different textures and effects to an image. Includes multiple stacked filters, layers and masking. Works as a plugin or standalone application.
- Photos for architect’s web sites As an architectural photographer, Keith discusses what photos are for on architect's web sites. Based on a recent interview with a design agency, looking at why many small-medium practices fail to make the best impressions with their work.
- Why I never recommend the best products Why we never recommend the best products. Keith Cooper explains why his reviews and articles don't ever contain any 'best buy' recommendations or test scores, and why you should be wary of reviews that do.
- Tutorial: A large black and white print of the harbour at Staithes Looking at the whole process, from photography to printing, Keith's tutorisl shows how he produced a 22" x 43" wide angle view of the harbour at Staithes in N. Yorkshire. Includes details on image stitching, B&W conversion and using masked adjustment layers.
- DIY Telecentric macro lenses Joining various old lenses together with filter rings and cardboard makes a range of specialist lenses that normally cost thousands of pounds. Simple experiments with telecentric macro lenses.
- Review – Macphun Snapheal CK Snapheal helps remove items from images, as well as fix blemishes and other unwanted features. Offers different removal algorithms and specific image adjustment and retouching tools. Works as a standalone or plugin application.
- Spyder5 Capture Pro reviews A new Datacolor bundle with ColorCheckr card, SpyderCube, LensCal and Spyder5 Elite in a hard storage case. Article looks at the collection and includes full reviews of all the individual items.
- X-Rite i1iO and a B&W test image The X-Rite i1iO table and i1Pro2 spectrophotometer are used with a modified version of Keith's black and white test print (8 & 16 bit versions downloadable). Quick and easy check for monochrome print linearity includes chart averaging.
- Better scenic and landscape holiday photos Keith was recently asked for a few quick and -simple- tips for better scenic vacation photos by a local business group. A few basic ideas that have stood the test of time and help create better looking landscape photos.
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 printer review Detailed review of the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 24" pigment ink printer. 11 inks and a gloss optimiser coat. Dual roll feed option. Roll and sheet media tested, including a print over 7m long.
- Mirage print software review (V3.5) A review of the Mirage print software by Dinax. Tested with the Canon PRO-2000 printer, the software now supports Canon and Epson large format printers. One feature is its freedom from print length limitations, ideal for huge pano prints at photo print resolutions.
- Review update – Topaz Glow V2 Topaz Glow version 2 update review. The image editing plugin from Topaz that offers a wide variety of effects, glows, edge and line based enhancements and artistic effects. Update is free for existing users.
- Canon PRO-2000, 4000 printer setup and installation Assembly and initial setup for the Canon iPF PRO-2000 and PRO-4000 large format printer. Features print head and ink installation and initial configuration, including printer software and network connection.
- Review: LAOWA 12mm f/2.8 ‘Zero-D’ lens Review of the new Laowa 12mm f/2.8 ultra wide angle lens. EF mount version is tested on a full frame 50MP Canon 5Ds. A fully manual lens with negligible geometric distortions. The lens tested is a pre-production unit.
- Kaiser tabletop photo kit review 'Easyfit' tabletop product photography kit with shooting table and two continuous lights with diffusers. Basic product photo setup and examples of use.
- Laowa KX800 Flexible Macro Twin Flash review The Laowa/Venus KX800 is a dual head macro flash with independently adjustable heads on stiff but flexible stalks. Variable flash power and an independent adjustable LED focus assist lamp. Tested on a Canon 100D.
- Hand held tilt/shift? Handheld photography with a tilt/shift lens - it's nowhere near as difficult as you might think. Using a shift lens does not always require a tripod
- Review update – Topaz Impression V2 V2 of Topaz impression adds new preset options and improved controls to the software for creating painting or drawing effects for your images. Adds masking and more flexible brush control.
- Review update Piccure V3 Faster processing and finer control over settings. Piccure Plus is an image sharpening plugin and application that can correct for some aspects of lens softness and camera shake. Updated to V3
- Keith Cooper’s City Light Tonality Presets Keith's 'City Light' presets for the MacPhun Tonality Pro plugin. Developed for architectural images when converting from colour to B&W. Before and after examples, and how they differ from 'straight' B&W conversions. Also using them as a luminance adjustment for colour images.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks