All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper’s Articles and reviews – Photography, printing, colour management, tutorials
The full listing of all of the hundreds of articles that Keith has written.
- Why I use the Fisheye-Hemi plugin Fisheye lenses are great, with their extreme wide angle and their distinctive perspective, but sometimes you want a bit more. The Fisheye hemi plugin provides some interesting variations
- DxO ViewPoint V2 – review update Review of DxO viewpoint software Version 2. Plugin and standalone application for correcting aspects of image geometry and lens distortions. Fixes leaning buildings and many other things
- ArcSoft Portrait+ plugin V3 A photoshop plugin and standalone program Portrait Plus from Arcsoft that automates many aspects of portrait retouching
- X-Rite ColorTRUE and the CamRanger Review of X-Rite ColorTRUE colour management system used on an iPad for managing display colour with the CamRanger camera control system
- Camera ‘L’ bracket / plate Camera L bracket for attaching camera to tripod in two different orientations. Quick release Arca Swiss baseplate design tested on Canon 1Ds
- What is colour? Keith is often asked to give a quick explanation of colour management. This article gives a short overview of why it matters, and has links to the many detailed articles and equipment/software reviews on the site.
- Is digital too easy? – that film thing (again) Has digital photography taken the 'real skills' out of photography? I'm very much inclined to say no, but it has made it more difficult for many people to know why they are taking photos and what they want to achieve.
- DxO Optics Pro V9.5 adds integration with Lightroom I've used DxO Optics Pro for many years as an alternative RAW camera file processing engine. With the latest update it now works much more tightly with Adobe Lightroom.
- Autopano Giga update to V3.5 Autopano Giga updated to V3.5. Includes new detection and validation engine. The control points detection engine has been improved but it has also been automated so you may not have to care about the detection settings anymore.
- Review of Intensify Pro Review of the MacPhun image editing plugin, Intensify Pro. Also available as standalone app. Edit with layers in Lightroom, tested with Photoshop.
- Review of Kuuvik Capture V1.3 Review of Kuuvik Capture V1.3 camera tethering software. Apple Mac app that allows for direct control of Canon cameras, with many novel workflow features
- Forced updates… Some notes about updates for Apple Macs needed for day to day work, printing, storage and keeping old but still perfectly useful software alive.
- Review of Topaz Clean Topaz Clean. Review of the image editing plugin that can selectively flatten detail along with edge and feature extraction. Offers a range of stylistic effects that can reduce complexity of images
- Where are you taking your photo business? Things you need to do. Two important ideas about running your own photography business, if you want it to last and grow. To some extent based on actually running a photo business that has lasted over 10 years...
- Test image for black and white printing Test image for testing performance and quality of black and white (monochrome) printing. Article explains functionality of parts of the image
- Printer Test Images Collection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Review of Topaz DeNoise Topaz Labs DeNoise Plugin (Version 5.1) for removing unwanted noise from images is reviewed. Cuts down sensor noise for high ISO photos
- Review of DxO FilmPack V4.5 DxO FilmPack Version 4.5 review. Accurate simulation of the look (grain colour and tonality) of a wide collection of film makes and types
- Calibration and Profiling – not the same thing The other day I saw someone mention a 'printer calibrated to their monitor'. I'd noticed elsewhere that there is a deal of confusion in the terms calibration and profiling, which tend to get used in an imprecise way. This short note is just aimed at clear in this up
- Making a giant print from an 11MP image Producing a very large 3m x 2m print from an 11 megapixel camera image. Looks at the whole workflow, and how different types sharpening at different stages is vital
All the latest articles and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks