All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Software review Convert to BW Pro 3 Review of the Convert to B/W Pro V3 plugin from 'Theimagingfactory' for converting colour images to black and white.
- Review Eye One Display 2 Review of the Eye One Display 2 (i1Display 2) monitor calibrator by GretagMacbeth (X-Rite). Calibrate and profile your monitor.
- Noise Ninja – Review update Updated noise ninja review to reflect changes in the full release version of the software - shows how noise reduction can be masked for optimal use
- A digital pinhole camera using a Canon 1Ds Construction ideas and sample images for several different designs of pinhole adapter for a Canon full frame DSLR camera. Digital pinhole photography experiments at different focal lengths
- Saving images for web use Some of the things to consider when saving images for web use - how care with resizing and basic sharpening can give them a bit more punch
- Noise Ninja – Removing Image noise Looking at the Noise Ninja photoshop plugin for removing image noise. Based on Noise Ninja application - functionality later incorporated into Photoninja
- MonoChromePro pigment inks for black and white printing Review of the MonoChromePro pigment ink set for black and white printing. Includes custom profile curve creation procedures for using QuadToneRIP (QTR). Making use of black and diluted black (grey) ink sets for monochrome photo printing
- Focus magic review Review of the Focus Magic photoshop plugin for image sharpening and camera shake removal. Fixes minor focus and shake problems
- Raw Power – the DxO converter Review of the RAW file conversion functionality introduced into DxO Optic Pro Version 2. Looks at RAW conversion, lens correction and noise reduction
- Black and White, the digital way An introduction to black and white photography in the digital age. An extended version of an article Keith Cooper wrote for Canon.
- Resampling to make your images bigger Resampling or resizing images to make bigger photos and prints has always had many options available. Some considerations for the process
- The RAW digital image format – why use it A look at the RAW format in camera files and discussion about the many reasons you might choose to use it instead of JPEG
- How do people see your site? Survey of professional photographers viewing habits - archive article based on a 2004 survey. Dates from when the majority of user still used CRT monitors. Includes links to other research and guidelines
- A Digital only trip to Colorado A look at some of the changes when moving from film photography to digital photography after a trip to Colorado by Keith Cooper. The same, but different and better...
- Better Digital Black and White printing on your Inkjet printer Simple technique to make linearising curves for black and white photo prints. Measuring test prints with flatbed scanner provide data for curve construction
- Update for the ColorVision PrintFIX Update information for the original Colorvision (Datacolor) PrintFIX ICC printer profiling system. Includes new calibration card.
- Swapping the black ink on the Epson 7600 and 9600 Black ink swap - An unofficial method for swapping photo black and matte black inks on the Epson 7600/9600 printers, reducing ink waste.
- A 35mm black and white landscape photographer goes digital Looking at what changed and what didn't when a film based landscape photographer decided to make the switch to an all digital workflow.
- Fixing your lens imperfections Review of DxO Optics Pro V1. The very first version of DxO Optics Pro addresses lens distortion problems and fixing them
- Using your film scanner as a microscope Looking at a variety of very small objects using a film scanner as a microscope, with unexposed film as a slide and slide cover. Examples show a Bee wing, sugar and salt crystals, and plant seeds.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks