All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Photography – I could do that… So, you want to be a professional photographer? It takes rather more than a few ideas and people telling you that your photos are really good. There is lots of help and advice out there. Most people never act on their good ideas ...will you?
- When Hyperfocal focusing is no good Why hyperfocal focusing often fails to give the depth of field that some suggest. A much simpler method that can be of more general use
- Make your own macro lenses Using old lenses and equipment with modern digital cameras to make a high magnification macro lens. Reversing a lens and making a mount for it. Macro photography without the expense of buying a specialist macro lens
- X-Rite i1Display Pro review i1Display pro review. X-Rite calibrator for monitor and projector profiling, with ambient light measurement. Works with i1profiler software package
- Book Review Make money with your digital photography Erin Manning Keith Cooper reviews Make money with your digital photography by Erin Manning, a comprehensive guide and introduction to the business of photography
- Seeing your own photography work in use Even though I know that my commercial work gets used all over the place in brochures and web sites, it's still great to unexpectedly come across a photo in use, and be able to say 'I took that'.
- Paper review Innova FibaPrint Warm Cotton Gloss IFA-45 fine art paper review. Innova FibaPrint Warm / Exhibition Cotton Gloss 335gsm paper tested for colour and black and white printing. Includes information about linearising B&W print output
- Induro PHQ series pan heads review Review of the PHQ series of 5 way pan heads from Induro. Tripod heads that offer multiple movement axes, 16kg load, and arca-swiss mount plate
- Film – the numbers say goodbye A few years ago (2003) I wrote some guidelines for people looking for a camera. In it I confidently expected that whilst digital was the future, film would be round for 'quite some time' - how was I wrong?
- Telling customers where to go… What won't you do in your photography business. Sometimes you need to decide if a job is really worthwhile, and when to say no thanks to a potential client.
- paper review: Pinnacle Premium Silk Baryta 310 Paper review of a warm tone 310gsm baryta based photo paper from Pinnacle (Paper Spectrum). heavy paper with a semi matte finish. Update: this paper is now sold as Premium Silk Baryta 310
- The wonders of bad lenses Home made DIY lenses are easy to make for your camera and a great way to see what really matters to you when photographing subjects. A simple lens made with cardboard
- Expanding your photo business There are three basic ways of growing your photography business - lots of variations, but three fundamental approaches. Keith looks at examples of how these principles can apply to a pro photographer and why minor changes can multiply together to make a real difference to profitability.
- Artists’ statements – do you ever believe them? Can an Artist's Statement be meaningful and relevant? Is it possible to write one that people believe? Can you do it with a straight face?
- Paper review PermaJet FB Distinction 360 Paper review for PermaJet FB Distinction 360, a heavy (360gsm 0.39mm) smooth semi-gloss bright white fibre base 'Baryta' style photo paper.
- A personal health warning about paper reviews Why you should be wary of paper reviews. Reviews for specialist inkjet photo printing papers may contain lots of measurement data, but paper choice is about so much more than that. There are so many other aspects of your photographic workflow that need looking at too.
- Nik Silver Efex Pro V2 review Review of Nik Silver Efex Pro version 2. Plugin converts colour images to black and white, with many adjustment options and preset conversions (Now free as part of the Google Nik Collection)
- 7 Grand ideas – key questions for a successful photo business Seven key questions you need to address about your professional photography business from the standpoint of your clients and potential clients. You may not like it but they are looking at your offerings and asking "What's in it for me?"
- i1 Profiler printer profiling review i1 Profiler printer profiling review - part of X-Rite's colour management software for making ICC printer profiles. Tested using an iSis XL
- SpectraView Reference 271 Display A review of the NEC SV271 reference monitor. It's very much aimed at the proofing, pre-press and design markets, where its wide colour gamut (~Adobe98) and internal 14 bit LUT allow it to be calibrated and profiled to great accuracy.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks