All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper’s Articles and reviews – Photography, printing, colour management, tutorials
The full listing of all of the hundreds of articles that Keith has written.
- Where is your photography going next year? New equipment may be fun, but it's making less and less of a difference to the quality of many people's photography. Some thoughts on how to go about improving what you do and just as importantly why you do it. Photography resolutions for next year
- DxO ViewPoint 3 review DxO ViewPoint software is updated to version 3. Software provides image geometry correction and effects for verticals and horizontals, as well as transformations for shots of groups of people shot with wide lenses
- Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre 300 paper review Review of Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre paper, by Paper Spectrum. A bright lustre photo paper that is our go-to choice for commercial and decorative prints. 300gsm weight and available in a full range of sheet and roll sizes
- ImageNest on the Canon PRO-2000 A quick test of ImageNest print layout software on the Canon PRO-2000 printer. Quick print layout and placement along with resizing, colour management and sharpening
- Macro photography for a trade stand Macrophotography setup for producing photographs of small electronic components for the Electronica trade show. Photographs of components along with brightly coloured gummy bears on a polished metal surface.
- Northlight Images site updated The Northlight Images web site has been completely re-written. All the old articles and reviews are still here, with updates and notes. The site is still being fine tuned
- Macphun Luminar V1.0 review Review of Luminar, Macphun's new image editing program, for the Apple Mac. Works as a stand alone editor, or can be used as a plugin for Photoshop, Lightroom and Elements. Includes layers for combining and masking adjustments.
- Canon Water Resistant Matte Polypropylene review Review of a water resistant 115gsm. Canon polypropylene matte paper, that lets you produce posters and prints that are rated for six months outdoor use. 'Waterproof' prints using ordinary LUCIA pigment inks on the PRO-1000/2000/4000/6000
- Canon smooth fine art paper review Canon paper review: Premium Fine Art Smooth (PremFAS) smooth finish matte art paper. Neutral white, OBA free and archival. 310gsm weight
- New firmware for Canon PRO-2000 Canon has released new firmware for the imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 printer. This corrects a few minor errors and makes a number of minor changes. It is a recommended update for all PRO-2000 users
- Print of a photo of a sunset from my loft Photographing an interesting sunset out of the loft window at home. How a simple photo, basic processing and printing produces a 22 inch by 33 inch print. Why any problems in making great prints probably doesn't come from deficiencies in equipment and software.
- Innova Fabriano Art papers review Paper review: Two new Innova mould made heavy matte fine art rag based papers from the Fabriano paper mill. IFA-107 and IFA-108. OBA free archival papers
- Topaz Texture Effects Review – V2 update Texture Effects is updated to V2. It can apply many different textures and effects to an image. Includes multiple stacked filters, layers and masking. Works as a plugin or standalone application.
- Photos for architect’s web sites As an architectural photographer, Keith discusses what photos are for on architect's web sites. Based on a recent interview with a design agency, looking at why many small-medium practices fail to make the best impressions with their work.
- Why I never recommend the best products Why we never recommend the best products. Keith Cooper explains why his reviews and articles don't ever contain any 'best buy' recommendations or test scores, and why you should be wary of reviews that do.
- Tutorial: A large black and white print of the harbour at Staithes Looking at the whole process, from photography to printing, Keith's tutorisl shows how he produced a 22" x 43" wide angle view of the harbour at Staithes in N. Yorkshire. Includes details on image stitching, B&W conversion and using masked adjustment layers.
- DIY Telecentric macro lenses Joining various old lenses together with filter rings and cardboard makes a range of specialist lenses that normally cost thousands of pounds. Simple experiments with telecentric macro lenses.
- Review – Macphun Snapheal CK Snapheal helps remove items from images, as well as fix blemishes and other unwanted features. Offers different removal algorithms and specific image adjustment and retouching tools. Works as a standalone or plugin application.
- Spyder5 Capture Pro reviews A new Datacolor bundle with ColorCheckr card, SpyderCube, LensCal and Spyder5 Elite in a hard storage case. Article looks at the collection and includes full reviews of all the individual items.
- X-Rite i1iO and a B&W test image The X-Rite i1iO table and i1Pro2 spectrophotometer are used with a modified version of Keith's black and white test print (8 & 16 bit versions downloadable). Quick and easy check for monochrome print linearity includes chart averaging.
All the latest articles and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog .
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all the specialist articles and reviews written by Keith Cooper.
Buying anything from Amazon (not just what's listed) via any of the links below helps Keith and Karen keep the site going - thanks if you do! [Amazon UK]