All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Supporting the site…
Keith Cooper’s Articles and reviews – Photography, printing, colour management, tutorials
The full listing of all of the hundreds of articles that Keith has written.
- Review of Nik HDR Efex Pro plugin Review of the Nik (Google) plugin for creating high dynamic range (HDR) images from multiple exposure images of the same scene. Works with aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Expensive 3rd party primes – are they worth it? Looking at third party prime lenses for DSLRs. When are they a good idea and when would you be better off improving the rest of your workflow from RAW file to print? Just be careful to buy such kit for good reasons rather than the vague but effusive praise from their fan clubs
- Photographers – are you of value to your clients? As a professional photographer, do you know the value of your photographic work to your clients? Do you make the mistake of trying to sell your business features rather than the benefits clients will get from using you?
- Do you keep a filter on your lens? Do camera shops look on UV or Skylight protective filters for your camera as just an a source of added margin, or are there times that having a filter in place is essential. Keith looks at where he makes use of filters, and where not.
- Regulation and control of Pro Photographers Every so often there are calls to regulate professional photographers. Keith looks at some of the information from a recent survey of UK pro photographers, and why he is happy to teach people to do their own photography, and why calls for registration miss the point.
- Review of DxO FilmPack plugin V2 Review of the FilmPack plugin and app (version 2) from DxO. Processes images to emulate the look (grain, tonality, colour) of a wide range of film types
- Business challenges for photographers What are the real challenges facing working professional photographers. Keith Cooper looks at a survey from mid 2010 that purports to give some answers.
- 5 big mistakes for a new photo business With it being so easy to set up a professional photography business, there are some key business mistakes to avoid. Remember that it's a business, not a job. Keith discusses 5 big mistakes he makes an effort to avoid
- Paper review: Innova Cold Press Rough Textured Natural White Fine art Paper review of Innova Cold Press Rough Textured Natural White (IFA-13) tested on an Canon iPF8300
- 64bit comes to Image Trends plug-ins Plugins updated as 64 bit working comes to Image Trends plug-ins. ShineOff, PearlyWhites, and Fisheye-Hemi work faster and on the latest systems
- An era passes – the real end of Kodachrome The end of Kodachrome - historically interesting, but of what relevance to today's photographers. Reproduce the effects in software, accept that it was used for some great photos, but time to move on
- Paper review Innova Decor papers Paper review of Innova heavy matte textured double sided Decor papers IFA-24 and IFA-25, tested using the Canon iPF8300.
- iPF8300 Printer diary updates Ongoing testing of the Canon iPF8300 printer - diary updates
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problem A solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
- What Camera should I buy Looking at some of the considerations for getting a good quality camera that moves beyond your phone. Getting more serious with your photography
- Datacolor SpyderCheckr colour test card – Review Spydercheckr review. Datacolor have produced a coloured test target and software that aids fine tuning of the colour response of cameras. Camera profiling for RAW files.
- Datacolor Spyder 3 Elite review – Version 4 software Detailed review of V4 software for the Spyder 3 Elite monitor and projector display profiling and calibration device and software
- How should I go about Colour Management An introduction and overview of colour management. Why it matters if you want to improve the editing and printing of your photographs
- Camera bag review Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW Review of the Lowepro 202 aw camera bag. The slingshot bag rotates from back to front for access without taking bag off your shoulder.
- Will your prints sell Who will buy your photographic prints and does it matter if you like the prints yourself? Why would anyone buy your work.
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks