All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Industrial photography in a foundry Preparation and subsequent image processing required when taking photographs in a working foundry. Also looks at how final size affect image editing
- Photo business working as a cruise photographer The business side of photography, working as a photographer on a cruise ship. Why you might consider a photography job on a cruise ship. Ian Kee discusses what the job entails with advice for people considering it.
- The photographer working for free One of the traps that many new photographers fall into is the 'Pictures for credit' ruse. Is there ever a good reason to work for free? What are good ways of refusing that won't offend, and are there ways that benefit you.
- Selling cameras in the UK and a changing market for photography How the changes and ongoing decline in the market for cameras affect my business as a working photographer
- Saying no to the camera update cycle? New toys are nice, but ... it's about time I listened to some of my own advice I give to people who write in and ask 'should I upgrade my camera'...
- 50 Business tips for pro photographers Tips and advice for becoming a successful professional photographer. 50 things to consider when setting up a photo business.
- Using the new i1Pro 2 for profiling Keith Cooper has been looking at the new i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer. Covering the i1Photo Pro 2 and i1Basic Pro 2 packages, he has written two extensive reviews of these X-Rite profiling packages for monitors, projectors and printers.
- i1Basic Pro 2 review Review of the i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer i1Basic package from X-Rite. Monitor and projector profiling and calibration using i1Profiler software
- Black and white print linearisation with the i1Pro 2 Using the X-Rite i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer to measure black and white test print targets to create linearising curves and profile with the QTR software package
- Black and white print linearisation with i1Profiler and QTR Black and white print linearisation using QTR icc profiles created with X-Rite i1Profiler software and the i1Pro spectrophotometer
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 2 review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 2. Printer profiling as part of the 'i1Photo' package, including OBA compensation
- Pro photography – pick your areas of work with care Part of running a successful photography business is deciding what areas of work to concentrate on, and building your skills in those areas. Remember though that you need to make a profit and that may mean less concentration on some areas you like. Doing any work that comes along does not count as a long term strategy
- Review of DxO FilmPack V3.2 DxO FilmPack V3.2 simulates and adds the precise look of film (tonality and grain) to photographs. Works as a plugin and standalone app.
- Making a 14 metre photographic print The GigaPan photography and image processing and editing needed to make a 14 metre panoramic sequence print of Leicester city centre at dusk
- Prints on a wall Photos showing the mounting of a new 14 metre long print of Leicester City Centre at dusk. The print is on view at the Leicester People's Photography Gallery throughout May 2012
- Datacolor Spyder4Pro review Detailed review of the Datacolor Spyder 4 Pro monitor calibrator colorimeter and profiling software package
- Spyder4TV HD review Review of datacolor Spyder 4 TV HD calibration for TVs, video monitors and home cinema setups. V4.5 software. Device measures display characteristics for adjusting colour and display quality
- Review Spyder 4 Express Detailed review of the Datacolor Spyder 4 Express monitor calibrator and profiling software package. Economic solution for calibration
- So, you want a good, cheap inkjet printer with cheap ink Lots of people want a good quality, cheap, photo printer that doesn't cost a lot in ink. Unfortunately, the market doesn't quite work like that - some thought about what to do when your old printer dies.
- Pro photography – winning the lottery? Is there a shortcut, avoiding business planning and hard work, in building a successful photography business? Is it now just a matter of getting your work seen by enough people - or buying enough lottery tickets
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks