All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Photography book reviews
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper’s Articles and reviews
Photography, printing, colour management, tutorials
The full listing of all of the hundreds of articles that Keith has written.
Short news items (product launches) are listed on Keith’s Photo Blog page
- Printer review – Canon Pixma Pro-1 Detailed review of the Canon Pixma Pro-1, a 12 ink A3+ (13inch) printer for colour and black and white printing. Tested on a range of paper types and sizes.
- So, your friends say your photos are good… So, you want to become a professional photographer, and your friends say your photos are great - what do they know? Why you should take care with who you ask for business advice
- Older photographers – let them use DSLRs Phone cameras fail in a big way if you have forgotten your glasses - why camera design needs to consider older people. Good viewfinders matter for everyone
- Producing better photographs Why you probably don't need to rush out and spend money to improve your photography - it about thinking more, and taking more photos. New cameras and lenses are nice but not as essential as you might think
- Alternative focus technique for tilted lens A simple iterative procedure for setting optimal focus for a tilted lens. A step by step approach to set the plane of focus where you want it for a tilt/shift lens.
- ColorMunki Smile monitor calibrator review Review of the X-Rite Colormunki Smile. Monitor calibration and profiling with basic setup. Profiles multiple monitor systems for Macs and PCs
- After the Photokina 2012 show… What's really new at Photokina in 2012 and what will make a real difference to photography, Keith picks a few items...
- The St Mary de Castro spire appeal An exhibition of some of Keith's photographs of St Mary de Castro church in Leicester. Prints are on sale to help raise money to rebuild the spire, which unfortunately had to be demolished in 2014
- Photo Ninja V1.0 review Review of Photo Ninja V1.0. Raw camera file processing software from Picturecode offers excellent RAW conversion and noise reduction
- Re-using the zone system? With its origins in the exposure and development of film, do aspects of the zone system still work in today's digital black and white photography?
- Just what does ‘Pro’ mean for camera equipment? Does the 'Pro' label make camera equipment any better - how will it help me take better photos? The camera really does make a difference when you are earning a living, but how often should you believe the marketing?
- Photographing tiny stuff Macrophotography reveals an unfamiliar world - sometimes more common objects are needed in the frame to give a sense of scale. Photographs of tiny things that help you realise just how tiny they really are
- HDR Expose 2 software review Review of HDR Expose 2 software package from Unified Color. This software package allows the creation and editing of High Dynamic Range (HDR) images. It cab use its own formats and colour space for holding HDR data
- Industrial photography in a foundry Preparation and subsequent image processing required when taking photographs in a working foundry. Also looks at how final size affect image editing
- Photo business working as a cruise photographer The business side of photography, working as a photographer on a cruise ship. Why you might consider a photography job on a cruise ship. Ian Kee discusses what the job entails with advice for people considering it.
- The photographer working for free One of the traps that many new photographers fall into is the 'Pictures for credit' ruse. Is there ever a good reason to work for free? What are good ways of refusing that won't offend, and are there ways that benefit you.
- Selling cameras in the UK and a changing market for photography How the changes and ongoing decline in the market for cameras affect my business as a working photographer
- Saying no to the camera update cycle? New toys are nice, but ... it's about time I listened to some of my own advice I give to people who write in and ask 'should I upgrade my camera'...
- 50 Business tips for pro photographers Tips and advice for becoming a successful professional photographer. 50 things to consider when setting up a photo business.
- Using the new i1Pro 2 for profiling Keith Cooper has been looking at the new i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer. Covering the i1Photo Pro 2 and i1Basic Pro 2 packages, he has written two extensive reviews of these X-Rite profiling packages for monitors, projectors and printers.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)