All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- PermaJet Titanium Lustre – paper review Paper review of PermaJet Titanium Lustre paper. Metallic finish photo paper gives a distinctive reflection of light to paper surface. 280 gsm
- I am not a ‘Canon Man’ Does your choice of camera say anything about you as a photographer? Does it reflect pragmatic needs or have you been labelled by the dead hand of marketing?
- Reducing halos with Silver Efex Pro 2 Ways of using colour to black and white conversion software such as Nik Silver Efex Pro that do not produce unwanted halo effects around objects. Ensuring that trees don't make the sky lighter for example
- Making a black and white photograph The whole process of making a large black and white photograph, right from stopping to take the photo, through to final fine-art printmaking.
- Book Review The Digital Zone System by R Fisher Book Review: The Digital Zone System: Taking Control from Capture to Print by by Robert Fisher. Applying the zone system to digital photography
- Whither rumours? Why Northlight Images still has our camera and lens rumour pages... even if a lot of the stuff is simply wrong or guesswork
- Autopano Giga 3 review update Review of Autopano Giga from Kolor. Version 3 update is faster, adds additional functionality for stitching images and the projection geometry used for output.
- ImageNest RIP review V3.5 update Review of the ImageNest RIP by Bluecubit. Version 3.5 expands BPC, sharpening and colour management for a wide range of printers
- Camera AF Microadjustment Checking for front or back focus with camera AF. Fine-tuning camera autofocus setup. AF Microadjustment without special tools or the need to spend any money.
- X-Rite i1Profiler Scanner profiling X-Rite i1Profiler V1.4 adds scanner profiling to i1 Profiler software. Works with transparency and reflective scanners to create accurate ICC profiles to improve colour accuracy
- Diminishing returns – the new photo equipment question How much better is new photographic equipment compared to the previous version. Have big jumps in performance gone for ever? New reviews are getting more difficult.
- Review of Nik HDR Efex Pro V2 Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 review. Software to combine photographs to create high dynamic range images. Part of the Google Nik collection
- Review of Nik Dfine V2 Review of Nik Dfine version 2. Plugin for removing noise from image files. Allows for different reduction for parts of image. Part of Google Nik Collection
- Testing add-on tele and wide angle convertor lenses Trying out a range of tele and wide angle converter attachments for the front of lenses. Converters increase or decrease the focal length of a lens. Quality differs widely, but the effects can be interesting
- Review of DxO Optics Pro V8 Updated review of DxO Optics Pro version 8. Software improves image processing options and add a number of workflow elements such as printing
- Review of DxO ViewPoint V1.1 DxO Viewpoint software works as a plugin or application to correct aspects of image geometry such as keystone (converging verticals) or distortions from very wide lenses
- Printer review – Canon Pixma Pro-1 Detailed review of the Canon Pixma Pro-1, a 12 ink A3+ (13inch) printer for colour and black and white printing. Tested on a range of paper types and sizes.
- So, your friends say your photos are good… So, you want to become a professional photographer, and your friends say your photos are great - what do they know? Why you should take care with who you ask for business advice
- Older photographers – let them use DSLRs Phone cameras fail in a big way if you have forgotten your glasses - why camera design needs to consider older people. Good viewfinders matter for everyone
- Producing better photographs Why you probably don't need to rush out and spend money to improve your photography - it about thinking more, and taking more photos. New cameras and lenses are nice but not as essential as you might think
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks