All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Review of Topaz Clean Topaz Clean. Review of the image editing plugin that can selectively flatten detail along with edge and feature extraction. Offers a range of stylistic effects that can reduce complexity of images
- Where are you taking your photo business? Things you need to do. Two important ideas about running your own photography business, if you want it to last and grow. To some extent based on actually running a photo business that has lasted over 10 years...
- Test image for black and white printing Test image for testing performance and quality of black and white (monochrome) printing. Article explains functionality of parts of the image
- Review of Topaz DeNoise Topaz Labs DeNoise Plugin (Version 5.1) for removing unwanted noise from images is reviewed. Cuts down sensor noise for high ISO photos
- Review of DxO FilmPack V4.5 DxO FilmPack Version 4.5 review. Accurate simulation of the look (grain colour and tonality) of a wide collection of film makes and types
- Calibration and Profiling – not the same thing The other day I saw someone mention a 'printer calibrated to their monitor'. I'd noticed elsewhere that there is a deal of confusion in the terms calibration and profiling, which tend to get used in an imprecise way. This short note is just aimed at clear in this up
- Making a giant print from an 11MP image Producing a very large 3m x 2m print from an 11 megapixel camera image. Looks at the whole workflow, and how different types sharpening at different stages is vital
- Turning down photography work – when the alarm bells ring Sometimes a potential client comes along wanting work that seems too just what you want to do. Watch out for the warning signs though, since there are jobs that you might be best turning down.
- So, you want a large format printer? Issues and questions that you might want to think about before getting a large format printer. Do you print enough prints for example? What are you going to do with all those prints?
- Topaz Simplify – plugin review update V4.1 A review update for the Topaz Labs Simplify plugin for Photoshop. Shows changes from V4 to V4.1, mainly in respect of user interface.
- Zeiss MC S 135mm f3-5 on Canon 100D Testing an M42 screw fit Zeiss MC S 135mm f3.5 manual focus telephoto lens on a Canon 100D/SL1 crop sensor camera with an M42-EF adapter.
- Innova FibaPrint Baryta IFA69 paper review Innova have announced a new 310 gsm paper with a Baryta (Barium Sulphate) layer for its whiteness and weight. It's a good white, and not too warm for more general use.
- Reviews are difficult, and that’s a good thing I’ve been writing product and software reviews on the Northlight Images site for well over 10 years now, and whilst the writing side of things has become easier with practice, finding the differences between one model and what replaces it gets increasingly difficult.
- Replacing Canon large format printheads – iPF8300 / PF05 Replacing a Canon large format printhead on the 44" iPF8300 / PF05 printer after one fails. Canon large format print heads are a consumable part and fully user replaceable.
- Photosniper 300mm with Canon 100D Using the Russian Tair 3 phs Photosniper 300mm f4.5 lens and rifle stock with a Canon EOS 100D/SL1 DSLR. Includes modification to use external trigger
- Cleaning Canon printheads – iPF8300 – PF05 Cleaning and replacing the printheads - on a Canon iPF8300 large format printer, with the PF-05 printhead. Canon large format print heads are a user replaceable part. Whilst cleaning might help, it could be that you need a new print head.
- Using old lenses on a modern digital DSLR camera Lens adapters allow you to use old lenses on a modern digital DSLR camera. Many old lenses work very well if you can live without autofocus. Performance varies, but it's possible to learn lot of use for the rest of your photography
- DxO Optics Pro V9.1 – Review Review of DxO Optics Pro version 9.1. Software for processing camera image files, offering distortion correction and different types of noise reduction
- Macro on the Canon EOS 100D SL1 Using the 18MP Canon EOS 100D (SL1) for macrophotography. Tested with extension tubes and a tilt/shift lens and the specialised MP-E65 Macro lens. Showing some benefits of a crop sensor camera with small pixels
- NEC SpectraView Reference 272 monitor review Review of the NEC SpectraView Reference 272 monitor. High specification 27 inch LCD monitor with hardware calibration options
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks