All our articles and news items
Home page for the hundreds of articles and reviews on this site.
Specialist index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
- Becoming a freelance photographer 5 Things to know - It's just over 10 years ago that I decided to put away my business suit and become a full time professional photographer. I'm still regularly asked how to do it, and what is needed.
- Review of Tonality Pro Review of Tonality Pro Software from Macphun to create black and white images from colour photographs. Plugin Version 1. Apple Mac software
- Review update Topaz Adjust V5.1 Updated review for Topaz Adjust V5.1 image editing plugin. New cleaner, more modern interface, effects previews and ability to mask effects.
- Review of Topaz ReMask V4 Topaz ReMask version 4 review. Image editing plugin for cutting out sections of images using various selection processes and tools.
- PhotoSweeper – cleaning up photo libraries A (Mac) application that will quickly sort through Lightroom, Aperture and iPhoto image libraries, or folders of images and locate duplicates and similar files (by time or by image content for example).
- Canon EW-73C lens hood from modifying an EW-73B Lens hood for the EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS Modifying a cheap third party EW-73B lens hood to match a Canon EW-73C lens hood at a fraction of the price.
- Review of Topaz Lens Effects Topaz Lens Effects V1.2, an image editing plugin that provides different lens effects such as blur, vignetting, bokeh and coloured and graduated filters.
- Review Canon EF-S 10-18mm zoom lens Review of the Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM zoom lens, tested on a Canon EOS 100D (SL1). How to use wide angle lenses if you are new to them
- Why I use the Fisheye-Hemi plugin Fisheye lenses are great, with their extreme wide angle and their distinctive perspective, but sometimes you want a bit more. The Fisheye hemi plugin provides some interesting variations
- DxO ViewPoint V2 – review update Review of DxO viewpoint software Version 2. Plugin and standalone application for correcting aspects of image geometry and lens distortions. Fixes leaning buildings and many other things
- ArcSoft Portrait+ plugin V3 A photoshop plugin and standalone program Portrait Plus from Arcsoft that automates many aspects of portrait retouching
- X-Rite ColorTRUE and the CamRanger Review of X-Rite ColorTRUE colour management system used on an iPad for managing display colour with the CamRanger camera control system
- Camera ‘L’ bracket / plate Camera L bracket for attaching camera to tripod in two different orientations. Quick release Arca Swiss baseplate design tested on Canon 1Ds
- What is colour? Keith is often asked to give a quick explanation of colour management. This article gives a short overview of why it matters, and has links to the many detailed articles and equipment/software reviews on the site.
- Is digital too easy? – that film thing (again) Has digital photography taken the 'real skills' out of photography? I'm very much inclined to say no, but it has made it more difficult for many people to know why they are taking photos and what they want to achieve.
- DxO Optics Pro V9.5 adds integration with Lightroom I've used DxO Optics Pro for many years as an alternative RAW camera file processing engine. With the latest update it now works much more tightly with Adobe Lightroom.
- Autopano Giga update to V3.5 Autopano Giga updated to V3.5. Includes new detection and validation engine. The control points detection engine has been improved but it has also been automated so you may not have to care about the detection settings anymore.
- Review of Intensify Pro Review of the MacPhun image editing plugin, Intensify Pro. Also available as standalone app. Edit with layers in Lightroom, tested with Photoshop.
- Review of Kuuvik Capture V1.3 Review of Kuuvik Capture V1.3 camera tethering software. Apple Mac app that allows for direct control of Canon cameras, with many novel workflow features
- Forced updates… Some notes about updates for Apple Macs needed for day to day work, printing, storage and keeping old but still perfectly useful software alive.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks