Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 S
Nikkor Z 24-70mm F2.8 S lens
24-70 for Nikon Z mirrorless camera system
A new high end standard zoom for the Z system is announced by Nikon
The Nikkor Z 24-70mm F2.8 S lens is due April 2019
UK press info
London, United Kingdom, 14th February 2019: Nikon today introduces the first of the f/2.8 pro lenses for Nikon Z. The NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S is a professional lens that boasts an exceptionally compact build, advanced optics, and extensive weather sealing.
Stills or video, this workhorse lens delivers superb results. Sharpness is outstanding across the frame, and close-up performance surpasses that of any full-frame 24–70 mm lens available today. Lens flare is effectively countered, and the wide Z mount and constant f/2.8 rounded 9-blade aperture enable exquisite starbursts. Bokeh is smoothly graded to the edges of the frame and looks beautifully natural.
The NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S is fully weather-sealed and ready to withstand the rigours of daily professional use. Zoom and focus rings adjust with just the right amount of torque. And more shooting parameters can be controlled directly from the lens than ever before.
Tim Carter, Senior Product Manager, Nikon UK, says: “If you can only take one lens with you, the NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S offers the ideal combination of compact build and pro performance. Every component of a scene is rendered with lifelike clarity, and the full weather-sealing readies this lens for any location.”
Summary of key features
- Ultra-sharp: superb edge-to-edge performance. Exceptional close-up performance (minimum focus distance of 0.38 m).
- Advanced optical design: 17 elements in 15 groups with anti-reflective ARNEO and Nano Crystal coatings.
- Customisable control ring: manual focusing (default), silent aperture control (great for iris transitions during video recording), or exposure compensation.
- L-Fn (lens function) button: assign up to 21 different functions. From AF lock to metering, bracketing, and more.
- OLED information display panel: quickly confirm aperture, focus distance, exact focal length, and depth of field.
- Workhorse: tough, compact build with extensive sealing to protect from dust and moisture.
|Lens type||Zoom lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||24–70 mm|
|Lens mount||Nikon Z|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||Four ED and two aspherical elements + Arneo and Nano Crystal coatings|
|Minimum focus||0.38 m (14.96″)|
|Motor type||Stepper motor|
|Full time manual||Yes|
|Weight||805 g (1.77 lb)|
|Diameter||89 mm (3.5″)|
|Length||126 mm (4.96″)|
|Zoom method||Rotary (extending)|
|Filter thread||82 mm|
US Press info
NIKON UNVEILS THE NIKKOR Z 24-70MM F/2.8 S, A FAVORITE ZOOM LENS REBORN FOR THE Z SERIES
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S Implements the Latest Nikon Optical Technologies to Reinvent One of Nikon’s Most Coveted Zoom Lenses for the Full-Frame Mirrorless Z System
MELVILLE, NY (February 13, 2019 at 11:01 P.M. EST) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S: a much-anticipated, fast-aperture zoom lens that’s ideal for professional and advanced photographers who capture portraits, landscapes, weddings and events, as well as content creators who shoot video using Nikon’s revolutionary new Z Mount System. Designed to take full advantage of the wider, brighter and faster Z Mount, this new S-Line lens delivers stunning sharpness all the way to the corners of the frame, even when used at its maximum aperture.
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S is the first NIKKOR lens to use the all new Nikon-designed ARNEO coat, which is used in conjunction with Nikon’s Nano Crystal Coat to significantly minimize flare and ghosting. The lens also includes Nikon’s new Multi-Focus System to help ensure fast and accurate autofocus even when shooting close-up subjects. Additionally, the 24-70mm f/2.8 S is the first NIKKOR Z lens to feature a dedicated manual focus ring independent of the customizable control ring, a Function (L-Fn) button, and an Organic EL Lens Information Panel for quick reference of key settings such as focus distance, depth-of-field, aperture and focal length.
“The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S is the lens that Z Series users have been waiting for, a lens that many photographers and videographers would never leave home without,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “Lightweight and tack sharp, the 24-70mm f/2.8 S is a great example of the outstanding performance and portability that is possible with our next-generation Z Mount System.”
NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S – Performance, Precision and Optical Superiority
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S builds on a century of Nikon optical heritage by harnessing the technical advantages of the Z Mount. This type of lens is known as a photographer favorite due to its versatility, useful zoom range, fast aperture and sharpness. Nikon was able to redesign this all-around zoom lens to achieve a new standard of performance, while making it both smaller and lighter—approximately 24.7% lighter and 18.4% shorter than the popular AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR lens.
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S takes advantage of the latest optical technologies to ensure exceptional control of aberration, ghosting and flare. Featuring an optical construction of 17 elements in 15 groups—including two ED glass elements and four aspherical elements—the lens delivers sharp, virtually vignette-free performance from edge-to-edge across its entire zoom range, even at maximum aperture.
Additionally, the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S is the first NIKKOR lens to feature Nikon’s all-new ARNEO coating: a multi-layer coating that is used in conjunction with Nano Crystal Coating for superior anti-reflective performance. While Nano Crystal Coat suppresses ghosting and flare coming from backlight at diagonal angles, the ARNEO coat compensates for light entering the lens from vertical angles. This expanded field enables the lens to capture exceptional contrast and sharpness even when the light source is visible inside the frame.
To help ensure fast, accurate and silent autofocus, the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S combines a powerful stepping motor (STM) with Nikon’s new Multi-Focus System. This system uses two actuators to move two focus groups at once, enabling the lens to achieve critical focus rapidly from nearly any distance, including close-up shooting.
The 24-70mm f/2.8 S is the most customizable NIKKOR Z lens yet. The lens features an Organic EL Lens Information Panel that allows for quick confirmation of aperture and focal length or focus distance and depth-of-field without looking at the viewfinder. For enhanced versatility, the addition of a L-Fn button allows you to set over 20 custom functions when shooting stills. The lens is also the first to feature an independent focus ring in addition to the customizable control ring found on all S-Line lenses, giving professional photographers and videographers more comfortable and convenient control over their shooting experience.
Finally, the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S was designed to excel at video in addition to stills capture, taking full advantage of the industry-leading video features found in the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7. Its design minimizes focus breathing, preventing the angle of view from changing when the focus is adjusted; the stepping motor and Multi-Focus System ensure fast, accurate and quiet focusing; full compatibility with the built-in 5-axis VR of the Nikon Z System ensures users can capture super-smooth video hand-held; and the customizable control ring, independent focus ring and Organic EL panel give filmmakers even more control over this exceptional lens on-set.
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S is destined to be an instant classic—a must-own lens for Nikon Z Series creators of all types.
- An indispensable standard zoom lens for professionals, advanced photographers and video creators—ideal for environmental portraits, landscapes, weddings, events, studio and street photography.
- Constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range delivers the subject separation, speed and gorgeous bokeh professionals demand.
- Exceptional optical performance achieves edge-to-edge sharpness and minimal aberration in an incredibly lightweight and portable package, thanks to the revolutionary new Z mount.
- All-new ARNEO coating works in conjunction with Nikon’s Nano Crystal Coat to minimize ghosting and flare when the light source is within the frame.
- Fast, accurate and quiet autofocus throughout the zoom range, thanks to Nikon-designed Multi-Focus System and Stepping Motor.
- Built-in Function (L-Fn) button, Organic EL Lens Information Panel and independent focus ring give creators more control over their shooting experience.
- Fully compatible with in-camera 5-axis VR found in the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7, providing up to 5 stops1 of image stabilization without adding to the size or weight of the lens.
- Optimized for video, with reduced focus breathing, a quiet stepping motor, customizable control ring, and the ability to take advantage of the in-camera 5-axis VR + eVR of the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7.
- Designed with consideration to dust and drip resistance, and featuring a fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease and dirt.
Price and Availability:
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S will be available in spring 2019 at a suggested retail price (SRP) of $2,299.952.
For more information about this lens, as well as the latest Nikon products including the full Nikon Z Mount System, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
- 1. Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when FX-format compatible lenses are attached to a FX-format digital SLR camera and zoom lenses are set at the maximum telephoto position.
- 2. SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)