What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO Nik Collection 3 announced The DxO Nik collection 3 announced - Software for image editing updated to include non-destructive editing functionality and a new geometry correction plugin is added to the existing plugins
- SD Express updates card speeds SD Cards have a new SD Express standard for faster transfers. The SD Cards are backwards compatible with existing cards, using new interface pins
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Review Nik Perspective Efex Review of Perspective Efex plugin and standalone app in the DxO Nik Collection 3. Correcting verticals and image projection geometry. Adjust wide angle distortion for group photos and add 'tilt/shift look' with selective focus
- Review of DxO Nik Collection 3 Review of Nik Collection 3 by DxO - The Image editing plugins are updated and expanded to fit more varied workflow choices without losing the original Nik functionality. Demo available.
- On being an architectural photographer 2 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 2 looks at how the equipment you choose matches the demands of architectural photography clients - What Keith Cooper uses for our architectural and construction photography business
- Diagonal lens shift Diagonal lens shift - Keith looks at using a tilt/shift or shift only lens by combining horizontal and vertical lens movements. Using an off-set viewpoint in images
- On being an architectural photographer 1 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 1 looks at how the business of photographing architecture works, from a business, skills and creative point of view - Why Keith Cooper took up architectural and construction photography
- X-Rite ColorChecker SG review Review of the ColorChecker SG card from X-Rite. The advanced colour reference card has a wider range of colours than the standard 24 patch ColorChecker card used for creating camera profiles. Creates DNG and ICC profiles - also useful for scanner profiling
- Jessop zoom slide duplicator lens Testing a 35mm zoom slide copier on a modern digital camera with some slides from the 1970's. Includes image processing and lighting concerns and a quick look at photo image quality from the 70's
- i1Studio update 1.5 X-rite updates i1Studio to version 1.5. Improves profile accuracy and adds i1Display Studio (monitor calibration) support
- SpyderPrint black and white print refinement Black and white printer test image for use with the Datacolor SpyderPrint spectrocolorimeter. Check linearity and black and white print performance with Photoshop & Affinity Photo
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- New Sigma lens firmware for Canon fit lenses SIGMA Corporation has announced the release of its lens firmware version 2.00 for its SIGMA GLOBAL VISION (SGV) interchangeable lenses compatible with Canon digital cameras featuring Lens Aberration Correction.
- New Sigma Art lenses Sigma announce a number of new lenses in their 'Art' category. A 105mm f1.4 with lens tripod collar. a 70mm f2.8 Macro and Sony E mount versions of many previous Art lenses
- Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI flash Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI flash auto bounce flash unit (GN47) automates bounce flash with motorised flash head options
- Canon announce EOS 2000D and 4000D Canon announce the 24MP EOS 2000D (T7) and the 18MP 4000D DSLR cameras. 2000D is the follow up to the 1300D (T6) whilst 4000D is a new entry level DSLR
- SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Sigma announces the SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM ultra wide angle zoom lens in its Art category. Available in Sigma, Canon EF and Nikon mounts
- Tamron 70-210mm F4 Di VC USD announced A new Tamron 70-210mm F4 Di VC USD (Model A034) zoom lens has been announced. For FF Canon and Nikon mounts. Image stabilisation to 5 stops
- Pentax K-1 Mark II announced Pentax have announced the K-1 Mark II. The 36MP full frame DSLR goes to ISO 819,200 and improved pixel shift multishot capability
- Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 lens Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 lens announcement Manual focus, for Canon EF mount. High resolution for 50MP+ and 8k video. 9 blade aperture
- Some benefits of Colour Management Datacolor survey with Leica forum users looks at the benefits of a colour managed workflow for photographers. Screen and print colour management
- Nikon 180-400 f4 TC lens announced Nikon announces the AF-S NIKKOR 180–400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, the first telephoto in the NIKKOR lens range with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter.
- Samyang AF 14mm F2.8EF Samyang have announced their first (autofocus) AF lens with the EF mount, the AF 14mm F2.8EF
- DxO to revive the Nik plugins DxO have confirmed that they are going to to revive the Nik plugins with new versions in 2018
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)