What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Canon EOS Ra camera Canon announce the Canon EOS Ra camera. A 30MP EOS R modified for improved H-Alpha response (deep red) for astrophotography applications. Due December 2019
- Samyang 14mm AF for RF mount Samyang announce the AF 14mm F2.8 RF wide angle lens. Their first AF lens using the Canon RF mirrorless mount. Includes a dock mount for firmware updates. Sold under the Rokinon brand in the US
- Canon 1D X Mark III development Canon have released a 1D X Mark III development announcement for the successor to the 1D X mk2 pro level camera. Initial features and camera functionality outlined. Release date TBA
- DxO PhotoLab 3 DxO have announced V3 of PhotoLab 3 image editing software. It includes a new colour adjustment interface, improved local adjustment masking and keyword management options.
- Canon PRO-2100, 4100, 6100 printers Canon have announced the PRO-2100, 4100 and 6100 large format printers (24", 44" and 60" width), looking to improve print workflow and efficiency. Available in 12 colour and 8 colour 'S' versions
- Book Review: Everything about taking Photographs Book Review: 'Everything you always wanted to know about taking better photographs', '50 images and 50 explanations' by Antony Zacharias. £12.99 Ammonite press October 2019
- Topaz Mask AI Topaz Mask AI review. Update to Topaz ReMask includes enhanced smart selection features and choices of mask generation modes. Simple mask generation for complex image cutouts
- i1Display Pro Plus review Looking at the new i1Display Pro plus monitor calibration and profiling colorimeter. Adds high brightness screen support and BT.1886 gamma curve support. This is the top model of the i1Display range
- Bulk editing photos without Photoshop Bulk editing photos without Photoshop using the BatchPhoto image editing tool (Mac and Win) Guest article from Mike Cosmin Unguru the author of BatchPhoto
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 plus review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 Plus monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer. Backlit printed materials can now be profiled, and the spectrophotometer has an M3 option for polarised measurements
- Printer Test Images Collection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Panoramic printing review using Fotospeed paper Wide prints and panoramic photo composition. Review of Fotospeed panoramic paper (210mm x 594mm) for wide prints colour and black and white. Some thoughts about making wide prints work.
- Hasselblad H6D-50C and HTS adapter Short review of working with the Hasselblad H6D-50C 50MP Medium format camera using the XCD28mm lens and HTS adapter for tilt and shift
- Luminar Flex 1.1 Luminar Flex app and plugin has a free update to version 1.1 by Skylum. Adds Luminar AI tools to Photoshop, Lightroom and Photos for Mac. Lets you use layers, blending and masking in editing photos.. Functional demo available.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI flash Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI flash auto bounce flash unit (GN47) automates bounce flash with motorised flash head options
- Canon announce EOS 2000D and 4000D Canon announce the 24MP EOS 2000D (T7) and the 18MP 4000D DSLR cameras. 2000D is the follow up to the 1300D (T6) whilst 4000D is a new entry level DSLR
- SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Sigma announces the SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM ultra wide angle zoom lens in its Art category. Available in Sigma, Canon EF and Nikon mounts
- Tamron 70-210mm F4 Di VC USD announced A new Tamron 70-210mm F4 Di VC USD (Model A034) zoom lens has been announced. For FF Canon and Nikon mounts. Image stabilisation to 5 stops
- Pentax K-1 Mark II announced Pentax have announced the K-1 Mark II. The 36MP full frame DSLR goes to ISO 819,200 and improved pixel shift multishot capability
- Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 lens Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 lens announcement Manual focus, for Canon EF mount. High resolution for 50MP+ and 8k video. 9 blade aperture
- Some benefits of Colour Management Datacolor survey with Leica forum users looks at the benefits of a colour managed workflow for photographers. Screen and print colour management
- Nikon 180-400 f4 TC lens announced Nikon announces the AF-S NIKKOR 180–400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, the first telephoto in the NIKKOR lens range with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter.
- Samyang AF 14mm F2.8EF Samyang have announced their first (autofocus) AF lens with the EF mount, the AF 14mm F2.8EF
- DxO to revive the Nik plugins DxO have confirmed that they are going to to revive the Nik plugins with new versions in 2018
- Yongnuo YN 14mm f/2.8 Ultra-wide Angle Prime Lens Yongnuo YN 14mm f/2.8 Ultra-wide angle prime lens with autofocus announced. Canon EF mount option shown
- Luminar 2018 update Luminar update V1.0.1 for Mac and Windows versions. Various fixes and improvements, including D850 RAW support
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)