What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Macphun Luminar image editor announced Macphun have announced a new software editing application called Luminar. Keith has since written a review of the software, looking at how it can be of interest to the more advanced photographer and as an introductory tool for image editing
- New Canon papers announced Canon USA announce three new Premium Fine Art papers — Premium Fine Art Smooth, Premium Fine Art Bright White and Premium Polished Rag. Designed to produce, rich-color reproduction, and detailed expression of gradation. Keith has a roll of the Fine Art Smooth for an upcoming paper review
- BenQ announce new 32″ 4k HDR monitor BenQ announce their new SW320 4k HDR monitor, to be shown in the US at Photo Plus. There is also the Technicolor Colour Certified 27-inch QHD PV270 and the 32-inch PV3200PT 4K UHD
- Canon EOS-M5 camera announced Canon announce the EOS M5 mirrorless EF-M mount camera. 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Built in EVF and rear tilt screen
- Canon 5D mark 4 DSLR announced Canon announce the EOS 5D mkIV 30MP DSLR. Dual pixel AF and 4k video. 7 frames per second, with WiFi, GPS and NFC. 4K Motion JPEG video at 30p or 24p
- An old friend returns? After the Jessops photo business folded in 2013, Leicester was left with no specialist photography stores. Jessops, founded here in 1935, are opening a new store.
- Two new Canon PIXMA printers Two new printers from Canon. The Canon Pixma MG3050 (£69.99)and MG255OS (£44.99) use a hybrid ink system (dye and pigment-based inks) to deliver ‘vivid, vibrant colours’. Both are Wi-Fi enabled, allowing images to be printed direct from a smartphone or computer via the Canon PRINT app
- DxO Optics Pro V11 announced DxO announce the latest version of DxO Optics Pro. Version 11 refines the software and has the capability of processing files noticeably faster than with earlier versions
- News items on the site If you've got this far in your reading of our 'news' archive, you'll notice a bit of a gap from here onwards. The older articles are from "Keith's Photography Stuff" blog and date from before I started the re-write of the whole site.
- DxO Optics Pro V9.5 adds integration with Lightroom I've used DxO Optics Pro for many years as an alternative RAW camera file processing engine. With the latest update it now works much more tightly with Adobe Lightroom.
- i1Profiler is updated to V1.5 I1Profiler is updated t V1.5 The updated software incorporates a number of fixes and improvements such as new monitor technologies Adds device link CMYK profiles to the i1Publish version
- All the Nik plugins for just $126 Offer now closed - plugins are available via Google Nik Collection
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks