What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 announced Samyang have announced a new AF 85mm F1.4 lens in Canon EF mount. At 485g weight and 72mm long, it is smaller than other Canon mount 85mm 1.4 lenses
- Datacolor Colour management survey How does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Two new Canon EF 70-200 Lenses Canon launches EF 70-200 F4L IS II and EF 70-200 F2.8L IS III lenses. New versions of Canon's 70-200mm 'L' series telephoto zoom
- DxO Nik collection and PhotoLab The DxO Nik collection image editing plugins are updated for compatibility with modern editing software. DxO PhotoLab image editing software is updated to V1.2 with U Point local image adjustments.
- HP Launches new Designjet Z series HP has launched a new Designjet Z series of large format printers. The Z6 and Z9+ printers are aimed at photos graphics and technical printing. Printers will be available in June/July
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- 5Ds or 5Ds R – worth the extra cost? A very quick comparison of an identical shot with the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R shows differences - are they worth the extra you have to pay?
- Fotospeed Metallic Lustre paper review Fotospeed Metallic Lustre 275 gsm paper review. A microporous coated paper with a metallic lustre surface finish, for dye and pigment inks. A4 sheet to 44" roll sizes available
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
- BenQ SW240 monitor review BenQ SW240 monitor review. 24 inch 1920 x 1200 resolution, wide Adobe98 (99%) gamut, hardware calibration with supplied calibration software. An optional shading hood is available.
- TS-E 90mm F2.8L Macro review Review of the Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L macro tilt/shift lens. How to use the ±10 degrees of tilt and ±12mm of shift offered by the macro lens, Includes comparisons with the original TS-E90mm F2.8 lens
- Review: Benro GD3WH geared head Review of the Benro GD3WH geared tripod head. Three axis geared adjustment with up to 6kg of camera gear supported. Arca Swiss style adapter plate for quick release. Head weighs under 2 pounds in weight.
- Canon imagePROGRAF TX-3000 review Testing the Canon TX-3000 36" width printer. Keith Cooper reviews the Canon TX wide format printer and plotter for photo and graphics printing. Also covers the 24" TX-2000 printer and 44" TX-4000
- Looking for a bigger photo printer Important questions to ask yourself when looking for a bigger photo printer wider than 13 inch width or A3+. Things that it's useful to know if you want a 17" (A2) or larger printer, it's about more than just bigger prints.
- So, can you start a photography business So, can you start a photography business? Will it last? Are you sure you know the difference between photography as a hobby and running a successful and profitable photography business. Some of the things you need to think about.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- News items on the site If you've got this far in your reading of our 'news' archive, you'll notice a bit of a gap from here onwards. The older articles are from "Keith's Photography Stuff" blog and date from before I started the re-write of the whole site.
- DxO Optics Pro V9.5 adds integration with Lightroom I've used DxO Optics Pro for many years as an alternative RAW camera file processing engine. With the latest update it now works much more tightly with Adobe Lightroom.
- i1Profiler is updated to V1.5 I1Profiler is updated t V1.5 The updated software incorporates a number of fixes and improvements such as new monitor technologies Adds device link CMYK profiles to the i1Publish version
- All the Nik plugins for just $126 Offer now closed - plugins are available via Google Nik Collection
- Visiting Focus 2013 A visit to Focus on Imaging 2013 - since it's only 35 miles away, so the Focus on Imaging show in the UK is one trade show I'm happy to attend every year.
- Watch for fake batteries… Some information about spotting fake batteries and why it's often not worth the risk, just for saving a bit of money. Beware of cheap batteries, especially with on-line shopping. Buy from a reputable dealer
- Canon Pro-1 Printer Notice of upcoming printer review: Canon PRO-1
- New monitor calibration option – ColorMunki Smile X-rite annouce a new device to calibrate your monitor, the ColorMunki Smile
- After the Photokina 2012 show… What's really new at Photokina in 2012 and what will make a real difference to photography, Keith picks a few items...
- Fuji to stop making movie film Fuji decide to quit the movie film business
- The St Mary de Castro spire appeal An exhibition of some of Keith's photographs of St Mary de Castro church in Leicester. Prints are on sale to help raise money to rebuild the spire, which unfortunately had to be demolished in 2014
- DxO ViewPoint New software from DxO that helps correct differing aspects of image geometry
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks