What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Irix 11mm f4 lens details announced Irix announce details of their new 11mm f/4 ultra wide angle lens. Available in two different body version 'Firefly' and 'Blackstone' Due to be shown at 'The Photography Show' in the UK in March
- Laowa lens products at the CP Plus show The CP+ show is running in Japan, and amongst the products on display are a range of new lenses from Laowa (Venus lens). A 25mm 2.5-5x macro, 15/2.8 Sony FE, 24mm relay lens, tilt and shift converters and a 7.5mm f2 MFT lens.
- New Canon large format Mac-Win printer software New software and drivers released for Canon large format printers which also fixes MacOS 10.12 colour management issues. Supports x400 series and x300 series printers and iPF5100
- MacPhun Aurora HDR offers Macphun Aurora HDR creation software and training resources - special offer until Apr 1st 2017 Aurora + Trey Ratcliff's HDR Tutorial 3.0 for $89. Just remember: HDR does not need to be tawdry to be a useful tool!
- New Sigma lenses due at CP+ Sigma announce four new lenses for the forthcoming CP+ show in Japan. New 14mm F1.8 | 135mm F1.8 | 24-70mm F2.8 expand their top end 'Art' range, with a 100-400mm F5-6.3 lens in the 'Contemporary' set.
- Keith Cooper’s talks about printmaking Keith Cooper talks about making large prints at The Photography Show 2017 - Getting great looking big prints from your work. From camera to print, the complete workflow
- Datacolor new profiling software updates Datacolor have announced new upgrade options for their Spyder 5 PRO and Spyder 5 Elite monitor calibrators. We've full reviews of the Spyder 5 PRO (and upgrade) and Spyder 5 Elite and will be adding details about the Spyder 5 Elite+ update in due course.
- Mitakon 20mm F2 macro lens Zhongyi Optics (ZY Optics) has released a new compact Super Macro Lens for full frame cameras, the Zhongyi Mitakon 20mm f/2 4.5x Super Macro Lens featuring a high reproduction ratio up to 4.5:1
- Luminar update – V1.1 MacPhun Luminar is updated to V1.1 adding batch processing, new Dehaze and Golden Hour filters, and an enhanced colour temperature filter.
- Light 16 camera multi-sensor sample images Sample photographs at full resolution are now available from the "Light L16" multi sensor camera, with its sixteen individual 13MP sensors at a range of focal lengths
- DxO ViewPoint 3 software announced DxO announce new version of DxO Viewpoint. Works for geometry correction and V3 adds many new automated functions. Works as both a stand-alone app, and as a plug-in for DxO OpticsPro, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.
- Thunderbolt 3 Dock OWC Thunderbolt3 multi port adapter for port expansion. Includes USB, mini DisplayPort, SD card reader, FireWire 800, Audio I/O, S/PDIF, Gigabit Ethernet. Ideal for use with the new MacBook Pro and its reduced set of i/o ports
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks