What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- Laowa 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO Venus Optics have announced the Laowa 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO lens for APS-C mirrorless Fuji X, Canon M and Sony E-mount cameras. Equivalent to a 100mm full frame field of view
- Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Samyang 10mm F3.5 ultra-wide lens Manual focus lens for EF and F mount Samyang have announced a 10mm F3.5 manual focus ultra-wide lens with a 130 degree field of view. The rectilinear lens is initially available in the Canon EF and Nikon F mount. Lens...
- Adapted lens – Soligor 300mm f5.5 Adapted lens experiments - Soligor 300mm f5.5 on an RF mount EOS RP mirrorless camera. Using adapters on a manual focus telephoto from 1975 on a modern mirrorless camera
- Black and white linearisation with the i1Pro 3 Updated linearisation for black and white printing with the X-Rite i1Pro3 spectrophotometer. Using the free chart measurement features of i1Profiler. Includes files and data for incorporating test strips into printer test images
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 spectrophotometer. Comparison with i1Pro 3 plus
- KF Concept TC2634 Carbon Tripod review The KF Concept TC2634 lightweight carbon fibre tripod is an improved version of the TC2534 tripod Keith looked at in 2017. With a more robust but smaller head, it now supports 15kg, up from 10kg
- Teleconverters and shift lenses Lens shift using extenders such as the Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Looking at the effects of using teleconverters with shift lenses such as the TS-E17 and TS-E24mm and tilt shift lens adapters.
- Using old lenses on a modern DSLR/mirrorless camera Lens adapters allow you to use old lenses on a modern DSLR or mirrorless camera. Many old lenses work very well if you can live without autofocus. Performance varies, but it's possible to learn lot of use for the rest of your photography
- Fotodiox tilt-shift lens adapter Review of the Fotodiox TLT ROKR tilt-shift lens adapter for mounting medium format lenses on mirrorless cameras. M645 to Canon RF tested. Available also for M645 to Nikon Z along with many other lens/body combination.
- Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head review Review of the Rogeti RG-1 geared tripod head and its camera mounting accessories. The head weighs 670g and supports up to 10kg of camera gear. compact and small design.
- K&F camera rucksack and travel bag The K&F camera rucksack and travel bag - what fits inside this twin compartment lightweight waterproof camera bag.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- SpyderLensCal – hardware to help measure autofocus Product information: SpyderLensCal - hardware to help measure autofocus
- Software update – ImageNest 3 Update note for version 3 of ImageNest - print layout software that uses OEM printer drivers. The ImageNest RIP page layout software is updated to provide improved layout and image nesting options for large printers.
- Using a professional photographer – free guide Free guide to choosing a professional commercial photographer. Questions that you should consider asking your commercial photographer
- Camera choices – keeping up to date Camera choices - keeping up to date with a changing market. At what point is what you've got good enough to last for a while?
- Canon iPF6300 arrives for review A Canon iPF6300 24" large format printer is delivered for our review. Small enough to fit on the back seat of a car.
- DNG ProfileManager – organising DNG profiles DNG ProfileManager - organising DNG camera profiles. Making DNG profiles is a good way of working round awkward lighting conditions, where the trouble of making a full icc profile is perhaps not merited.
- A visit to IPEX 2010 Looking at some large printers from HP, Canon and others at the IPEX show - Keith visits IPEX 2010... what's new?
- i1Profiler – New Profiling solution from X-Rite i1Profiler - New Profiling solution from X-Rite. product announcement
- DxO Optics Pro V6.2 update for Mac and PC Short review of DxO optics Pro V6.2, showing improved noise handling and sharpness. Includes allowing more corrections for non supported lenses
- Trade shows… Keith Cooper looks back on a quick visit to the 2010 Focus on Imaging photography trade show in Birmingham at the NEC (now The Photography Show)
- DxO Optics Pro updated for the Mac DxO Optics Pro updated for the Mac, to work under OSX 10.3
- Looking at the Canon EOS 7D First thoughts - Looking at the Canon EOS 7D, initial experiments and testing of Canon's top crop sensor camera, just loaned to me by Canon UK
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)