What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- The Paragon 500mm f8 lens Testing a manual focus Paragon 500mm f8 long focus lens on a Canon RP mirrorless full frame camera with adapters. Is it worth the few pounds paid for it
- Fine tuning black and white photo printing Fine tuning black and white photo printing with a flatbed scanner when using using monochrome print settings such as Epson ABW or Canon Black and White photo print modes. Test for optimal media settings. Print linearisation with curves.
- Dual illuminant DNG profiles Quickly creating DNG dual illuminant camera profiles for testing lenses, cameras, & lighting under variable lighting conditions. using an X-Rite colorchecker card and their free camera calibrations software.
- Disk Drill recovery and photo backups Disk Drill file and photo recovery software and photo backups for Macintosh and Windows. Backup strategies for photographers, so you shouldn't be caught out
- ImageNest RIP review: V5 update Imagenest Version 5. Mac based RIP handles image layout and sizing for printing to any connected printer. Image nesting and full control over colour management.
- Upsizing and sharpening for making a print Editing, sharpening and upsizing part of an old digital photo from a 10MP camera to make an A2 sized print. Image resizing for larger prints and why your editing workflow matters.
- Topaz Sharpen AI update Topaz Sharpen AI image sharpening software updated to V2. Adds batch processing and masking of the images sharpening. Smart sharpening and shake reduction
- Using effects lens filters After being given some assorted lens filters dating back to film days, Keith wonders if they are still of any use with modern digital cameras and how B&W film 'emulation' has its limits.
- Fixing converging verticals without a shift lens Simple image edits can simulate the results of using a shift lens, if you edit your image the right way and can tolerate the need to crop the resulting image.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- New photography gallery to open in Leicester A new photography gallery space is opening in Leicester at the old library in Belvoir Street. The Leicester Peoples Photography Gallery
- Apple Lion 10.7 – not for the time being thanks Assorted incompatibility issues for Apple's new OSX 10.7 Lion if moving from 10.6
- i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion by special Mac only update
- Film – the numbers say goodbye A few years ago (2003) I wrote some guidelines for people looking for a camera. In it I confidently expected that whilst digital was the future, film would be round for 'quite some time' - how was I wrong?
- X-rite updates i1Profiler License Perhaps not something I'd normally report, but given all the kerfuffle over the i1Profiler EULA (license) when it came out, it's worth noting that they have retrospectively altered the license.
- 64bit comes to Image Trends plug-ins Plugins updated as 64 bit working comes to Image Trends plug-ins. ShineOff, PearlyWhites, and Fisheye-Hemi work faster and on the latest systems
- An era passes – the real end of Kodachrome The end of Kodachrome - historically interesting, but of what relevance to today's photographers. Reproduce the effects in software, accept that it was used for some great photos, but time to move on
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problem A solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
- 64 bit comes from Nik Software Nik software image editing plugins are updated for 64 bit support
- Latest i1Solutions from X-rite Updated information about i1 Profiler capabilities. X-rite profiling options
- Epson Digigraphie – a sign of fine art prints? The announcement of the UK launch of Epson's 'Digigraphie' programme in the UK. A set of standards and certification for printmaking
- Datacolor SpyderCheckr Product launch information: Datacolor SpyderCheckr. Datacolor have announced a new colour management tool in the form of the SpyderCheckr colour card
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)