What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- ZY Optics Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X lens ZY Optics have announced the Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X 'Super Macro' lens for Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A, Pentax K, Sony E, M43, Fuji X and EOS-M mounts. Specialist macro-only lens
- New RF mount Laowa lenses Venus Optics have announced three of their lenses are now available in Canon RF and Nikon Z mount for mirrorless cameras. They are the 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D, 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro and 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro - Keith has reviewed all three lenses in EF mount
- Canon camera firmware security updates Canon has released a number of camera firmware updates that address potential issues in their picture transfer protocol. The update includes all previous firmware updates for your camera.
- DxO Nik plugin update DxO have announced a Nik plugin update to V2.3. Better support for high res screens and new presets for Silver Effex Pro. Full MacOS Catalina support
- Canon EOS Ra camera Canon announce the Canon EOS Ra camera. A 30MP EOS R modified for improved H-Alpha response (deep red) for astrophotography applications. Due December 2019
- K&F camera rucksack and travel bag The K&F camera rucksack and travel bag - what fits inside this twin compartment lightweight waterproof camera bag.
- Laowa RF 15mm F2 Zero-D Review of the Laowa RF 15mm f/2 Zero-D lens by Venus Optics. Tested on the Canon EOS RP. Wide angle manual focus lens for RF mount (also Nikon Z and Sony FE mounts)
- Rechargeable LED worklight for product photography A basic battery powered 15W LED worklight is tested for product photography. With over 3 hrs use on a charge, is the light quality good enough? The device doubles as a 6000mAh 22.2Wh USB powerbank
- Book Review: 52 Assignments Landscape Photography Book Review: 52 Assignments, Landscape Photography. A collection of 52 project ideas relating to Landscape photography. Lots of suggestions to help expand your photography and experiment.
- Rogeti TSE Frame V3+ Rogeti have made their TSE Frame lighter and easier to level. The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- L-Bracket for Canon 5DIV, 5Ds R and 5DIII The Rogeti QRL Series L-Bracket fits the Canon 5D mk4 5DS, 5DS R, and 5D mk3. Arca style fit with three built in levelling vials. Also available for Sony
- Book Review: Everything about taking Photographs Book Review: 'Everything you always wanted to know about taking better photographs', '50 images and 50 explanations' by Antony Zacharias. £12.99 Ammonite press October 2019
- Topaz Mask AI Topaz Mask AI review. Update to Topaz ReMask includes enhanced smart selection features and choices of mask generation modes. Simple mask generation for complex image cutouts
- i1Display Pro Plus review Looking at the new i1Display Pro plus monitor calibration and profiling colorimeter. Adds high brightness screen support and BT.1886 gamma curve support. This is the top model of the i1Display range
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- X-rite updates i1 Profiler i1profiler updated.New features include the option to balance red, green and blue during monitor calibration, improved automatic monitor adjustment (ADC) during the calibration process, and support for Eizo ColorEdge displays.
- Michael Westmoreland at the LPPG Some of Michael Westmoreland's panoramic prints on show at the LPPG in Leicester. Celebrating the 80th birthday of a panoramic photography pioneer.
- New printer review on its way… iPF5100 Canon UK have kindly lent us an iPF5100 printer for a review. It's a 17" (A2) 12 ink printer with roll media support and a paper cassette for sheet media.
- Preparations for Leicester Peoples’ Photography Gallery Getting ready to show some photos at an exhibition. Preparations for Leicester Peoples' Photography Gallery
- New photography gallery to open in Leicester A new photography gallery space is opening in Leicester at the old library in Belvoir Street. The Leicester Peoples Photography Gallery
- Apple Lion 10.7 – not for the time being thanks Assorted incompatibility issues for Apple's new OSX 10.7 Lion if moving from 10.6
- i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion by special Mac only update
- Film – the numbers say goodbye A few years ago (2003) I wrote some guidelines for people looking for a camera. In it I confidently expected that whilst digital was the future, film would be round for 'quite some time' - how was I wrong?
- X-rite updates i1Profiler License Perhaps not something I'd normally report, but given all the kerfuffle over the i1Profiler EULA (license) when it came out, it's worth noting that they have retrospectively altered the license.
- 64bit comes to Image Trends plug-ins Plugins updated as 64 bit working comes to Image Trends plug-ins. ShineOff, PearlyWhites, and Fisheye-Hemi work faster and on the latest systems
- An era passes – the real end of Kodachrome The end of Kodachrome - historically interesting, but of what relevance to today's photographers. Reproduce the effects in software, accept that it was used for some great photos, but time to move on
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problem A solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)