What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- The Paragon 500mm f8 lens Testing a manual focus Paragon 500mm f8 long focus lens on a Canon RP mirrorless full frame camera with adapters. Is it worth the few pounds paid for it
- Fine tuning black and white photo printing Fine tuning black and white photo printing with a flatbed scanner when using using monochrome print settings such as Epson ABW or Canon Black and White photo print modes. Test for optimal media settings. Print linearisation with curves.
- Dual illuminant DNG profiles Quickly creating DNG dual illuminant camera profiles for testing lenses, cameras, & lighting under variable lighting conditions. using an X-Rite colorchecker card and their free camera calibrations software.
- Disk Drill recovery and photo backups Disk Drill file and photo recovery software and photo backups for Macintosh and Windows. Backup strategies for photographers, so you shouldn't be caught out
- ImageNest RIP review: V5 update Imagenest Version 5. Mac based RIP handles image layout and sizing for printing to any connected printer. Image nesting and full control over colour management.
- Upsizing and sharpening for making a print Editing, sharpening and upsizing part of an old digital photo from a 10MP camera to make an A2 sized print. Image resizing for larger prints and why your editing workflow matters.
- Topaz Sharpen AI update Topaz Sharpen AI image sharpening software updated to V2. Adds batch processing and masking of the images sharpening. Smart sharpening and shake reduction
- Using effects lens filters After being given some assorted lens filters dating back to film days, Keith wonders if they are still of any use with modern digital cameras and how B&W film 'emulation' has its limits.
- Fixing converging verticals without a shift lens Simple image edits can simulate the results of using a shift lens, if you edit your image the right way and can tolerate the need to crop the resulting image.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- New Canon papers announced Canon USA announce three new Premium Fine Art papers — Premium Fine Art Smooth, Premium Fine Art Bright White and Premium Polished Rag. Designed to produce, rich-color reproduction, and detailed expression of gradation. Keith has a roll of the Fine Art Smooth for an upcoming paper review
- BenQ announce new 32″ 4k HDR monitor BenQ announce their new SW320 4k HDR monitor, to be shown in the US at Photo Plus. There is also the Technicolor Colour Certified 27-inch QHD PV270 and the 32-inch PV3200PT 4K UHD
- Canon EOS-M5 camera announced Canon announce the EOS M5 mirrorless EF-M mount camera. 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Built in EVF and rear tilt screen
- Canon 5D mark 4 DSLR announced Canon announce the EOS 5D mkIV 30MP DSLR. Dual pixel AF and 4k video. 7 frames per second, with WiFi, GPS and NFC. 4K Motion JPEG video at 30p or 24p
- An old friend returns? After the Jessops photo business folded in 2013, Leicester was left with no specialist photography stores. Jessops, founded here in 1935, are opening a new store.
- Two new Canon PIXMA printers Two new printers from Canon. The Canon Pixma MG3050 (£69.99)and MG255OS (£44.99) use a hybrid ink system (dye and pigment-based inks) to deliver ‘vivid, vibrant colours’. Both are Wi-Fi enabled, allowing images to be printed direct from a smartphone or computer via the Canon PRINT app
- DxO Optics Pro V11 announced DxO announce the latest version of DxO Optics Pro. Version 11 refines the software and has the capability of processing files noticeably faster than with earlier versions
- News items on the site If you've got this far in your reading of our 'news' archive, you'll notice a bit of a gap from here onwards. The older articles are from "Keith's Photography Stuff" blog and date from before I started the re-write of the whole site.
- DxO Optics Pro V9.5 adds integration with Lightroom I've used DxO Optics Pro for many years as an alternative RAW camera file processing engine. With the latest update it now works much more tightly with Adobe Lightroom.
- i1Profiler is updated to V1.5 I1Profiler is updated t V1.5 The updated software incorporates a number of fixes and improvements such as new monitor technologies Adds device link CMYK profiles to the i1Publish version
- All the Nik plugins for just $126 Offer now closed - plugins are available via Google Nik Collection
- Visiting Focus 2013 A visit to Focus on Imaging 2013 - since it's only 35 miles away, so the Focus on Imaging show in the UK is one trade show I'm happy to attend every year.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)