What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Rokinon/Samyang 14mm and 85mm Rokinon/Samyang have announced two new manual focus lenses for the Canon RF mount. The lenses are 14mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.4
- Topaz Gigapixel AI updated to V4 Topaz have updated their Gigapixel AI resizing software to V4. The new version offers improved speed and image quality with improved resizing and workflow. Free update for existing users (Free 30 day trial and reduced price for new until April 5th)
- DxO PhotoLab 2.2 update DxO PhotoLab V2.2 image editing software update improves functionality and adds new image management tools. Includes Nikon Z6 and EOS R
- Three new Tamron lenses announced Tamron have announced three new lenses, due mid 2019. Two Nikon/canon mount SP 35mm F1.4, 35-150mm F2.8-4 and E-mount 17-28mm F2.8 III
- Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 S Nikkor Z 24-70mm F2.8 S lens announced for the Nikon Z mirrorless camera system. 17 elements, 15 groups Due April 2019
–More News– further down the page
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. If you buy anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
If you buy anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Fotospeed Fotospeed Smooth Cotton 300 paper review Fotospeed Smooth cotton 300 paper review. Smooth matte surface surface, Cotton based 300gsm white paper. Takes a good ink load and for a matte paper gives solid colour and B&W tonality
- Topaz Denoise AI new software review Topaz Denoise AI, image noise reduction software review. Works as plugin or standalone application for noise reduction with detail preservation
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviews Keith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy
- Review: Using the Canon EOS RP Camera usage review: Using the full frame 26MP Canon EOS RP mirrorless camera. Features and real life use for a long time Canon DSLR user. How it performs and what needs doing to make it even better
- Using the Canon EOS RP Keith looks at the EOS RP. A Canon DSLR user tries out the Canon EOS RP 26MP FF mirrorless camera - how is it to use, what settings work, and what needs doing for 'pro' use
- Is photography a business for you Is photography a business for you - an interview with Keith Cooper looks at some of the things you might want to think about if it's to be a real business. Includes link to audio podcast of the interview
- KF Concept TC2335 Camera Tripod KF Concept TC2335 Carbon Fibre Tripod with Ball head. Weighing 1.85lbs. Folded up height is only 13.6" (385mm). Max load weight is 26.5 lbs
- Fotospeed Legacy Gloss 325 paper review Fotospeed Legacy Gloss 325 paper review. Smooth unglazed gloss surface, Cotton based 325gsm natural warm white paper. OBA free. Making large exhibition quality prints.
- USB Charging the EOS RP USB Charging the EOS RP camera from a battery pack. Using a portable Lithium battery pack to charge the EOS RP via USB C PD
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Apple Lion 10.7 – not for the time being thanks Assorted incompatibility issues for Apple's new OSX 10.7 Lion if moving from 10.6
- i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion by special Mac only update
- Film – the numbers say goodbye A few years ago (2003) I wrote some guidelines for people looking for a camera. In it I confidently expected that whilst digital was the future, film would be round for 'quite some time' - how was I wrong?
- X-rite updates i1Profiler License Perhaps not something I'd normally report, but given all the kerfuffle over the i1Profiler EULA (license) when it came out, it's worth noting that they have retrospectively altered the license.
- 64bit comes to Image Trends plug-ins Plugins updated as 64 bit working comes to Image Trends plug-ins. ShineOff, PearlyWhites, and Fisheye-Hemi work faster and on the latest systems
- An era passes – the real end of Kodachrome The end of Kodachrome - historically interesting, but of what relevance to today's photographers. Reproduce the effects in software, accept that it was used for some great photos, but time to move on
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problem A solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
- 64 bit comes from Nik Software Nik software image editing plugins are updated for 64 bit support
- Latest i1Solutions from X-rite Updated information about i1 Profiler capabilities. X-rite profiling options
- Epson Digigraphie – a sign of fine art prints? The announcement of the UK launch of Epson's 'Digigraphie' programme in the UK. A set of standards and certification for printmaking
- Datacolor SpyderCheckr Product launch information: Datacolor SpyderCheckr. Datacolor have announced a new colour management tool in the form of the SpyderCheckr colour card
- Three new Epson LF printers Three new Epson large format printers announced at Photokina 2010
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks