What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Sigma Art lens firmware for Canon Sigma has released a number of Art lens firmware updates for Canon cameras | SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | SIGMA 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | SIGMA 24mm F1.4 DG HSM | SIGMA 12-24mm F4 DG HSM | SIGMA 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary
- Luminar update Skylum have the Luminar Version 1.3 update available for Mac and Windows. It's a free update for registered users of the image editing software.
- SDUC Express new memory card format SDUC Express memory card formats announced that will allow 128TB Storage and 985MB/s transfer speed. Compatible with previous SD card formats. The Express interface allows SD Express memory cards to serve as a removable Solid State Drives (SSD)
- Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 announced Samyang have announced a new AF 85mm F1.4 lens in Canon EF mount. At 485g weight and 72mm long, it is smaller than other Canon mount 85mm 1.4 lenses
- Datacolor Colour management survey How does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
- TS-E45mm F2.8 lens review Review of the Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 tilt/shift lens. How to use the ±8 degrees of tilt and ±11mm of shift offered by the lens. Should you consider saving a lot of money, buying a TS-E45mm over the latest TS-E50mm?
- Nik plugins by DxO – review info. Looking at the Nik image editing plugins - The updated version of the Nik plugin collection is launched by DxO with improved compatibility for modern apps. Links to all of Keith's detailed reviews of the plugins
- 5Ds or 5Ds R – worth the extra cost? A very quick comparison of an identical shot with the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R shows differences - are they worth the extra you have to pay?
- Fotospeed Metallic Lustre paper review Fotospeed Metallic Lustre 275 gsm paper review. A microporous coated paper with a metallic lustre surface finish, for dye and pigment inks. A4 sheet to 44" roll sizes available
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
- BenQ SW240 monitor review BenQ SW240 monitor review. 24 inch 1920 x 1200 resolution, wide Adobe98 (99%) gamut, hardware calibration with supplied calibration software. An optional shading hood is available.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- Canon updates the 1DMk3 to the 1D Mk4 News item: Canon updates the EOS 1D Mk3 to the EOS 1D Mk4 - camera features: 16.1MP APS-H (1.3x) sensor, 100 to 102k max ISO
- Apple offers Matte screens at last… When Apple offered Matte screens for laptops - time for a new MacBook Pro. Why do Apple insist that screens that double as a shaving mirror are best?
- Reading the fine print – SWPP loses court case The SWPP loses a UK court case where it tried to enforce a three month notice of cancellation requirement for membership. Why joining any 'professional' organisation for photographers should be a business led decision, and why it pays to enquire widely
- ColorMunki software updated to V1.1 The X-rite colormunki software has been updated to version 1.1. Additional features and bug fixes in this free software update
- New Canon stuff day… Keith's new TS-E24 f3.5L 24mm tilt shift lens and a Canon iPF6100 printer turns up for review. First looks at some new equipment.
- Physics and digital camera design limits Guest article info: Physics and digital camera design limits. Notes about corrections/refinements and updates
- Apple to photographers – we don’t care Apple decides not to offer matte screens on its laptops. How this lets down photographers using Mac kit
- A lot of glass A lot of glass - our new TS-E17 lens arrives
- Waiting for the delivery van Waiting for the delivery van - TS-E17 lens on its way
- New profiling software -Profilemaker update New profiling software for colour management - Profilemaker is updated by X-rite
- The Northlight Blog… The Northlight Photography stuff blog... first post in 2009
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks