What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Phase One XT camera system Phase One announces the XT medium format camera system. It comes with the 100/150MP IQ4 back and three lenses, and with a body unit offering ±12mm of lens shift.
- Canon RF lenses 15-35 and 24-70 Canon has announced the details for two RF lenses: the RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM and RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM. Both include dust and weather resistance, and a stated 5 stops of optical image stabilisation.
- X-Rite i1Pro 3 Plus options X-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets, it is available in i1Basic and i1Profiler kit options for screen and print profiling
- Topaz Studio 2 Topaz have announced Studio 2 The new version of their creative image editing software incorporates all previous adjustments. Free trial version available
- New Laowa 15mm F2 and 10-18mm lenses Venus Optics have announced two new Laowa wide angle 15mm F2 and 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 lenses for Nikon Z and Canon RF mount mirrorless cameras
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 plus review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 Plus monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer. Backlit printed materials can now be profiled, and the spectrophotometer has an M3 option for polarised measurements
- Printer Test Images Collection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Panoramic printing review using Fotospeed paper Wide prints and panoramic photo composition. Review of Fotospeed panoramic paper (210mm x 594mm) for wide prints colour and black and white. Some thoughts about making wide prints work.
- Hasselblad H6D-50C and HTS adapter Short review of working with the Hasselblad H6D-50C 50MP Medium format camera using the XCD28mm lens and HTS adapter for tilt and shift
- Luminar Flex 1.1 Luminar Flex app and plugin has a free update to version 1.1 by Skylum. Adds Luminar AI tools to Photoshop, Lightroom and Photos for Mac. Lets you use layers, blending and masking in editing photos.. Functional demo available.
- Imadio Fisheye-Hemi V2 review Imadio Fisheye-Hemi V2 review update. The Image geometry correction software allows fine tuning adjustment parameters whilst still keeping basic adjustment options for correcting the distortions of fisheye type lenses.
- X-Rite i1iO review Review using the X-Rite i1iO automated patch reader for printer profiling using the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and i1Profiler software. The robot arm accepts the original i1Pro and the i1Pro 2
- Review – Topaz Adjust AI Topaz Adjust AI review - Image adjustment app and plugin offering updates to Topaz Adjust, Topaz Detail and Topaz Clarity
- X-Rite ColorChecker Nano card A very small Colorchecker card from X-Rite. It is sized at 25mm x 40mm for use in close-up and macro photography. Can be used to create colour profiles for cameras and all other applications of full size cards
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- i1Profiler is updated to V1.5 I1Profiler is updated t V1.5 The updated software incorporates a number of fixes and improvements such as new monitor technologies Adds device link CMYK profiles to the i1Publish version
- All the Nik plugins for just $126 Offer now closed - plugins are available via Google Nik Collection
- Visiting Focus 2013 A visit to Focus on Imaging 2013 - since it's only 35 miles away, so the Focus on Imaging show in the UK is one trade show I'm happy to attend every year.
- Watch for fake batteries… Some information about spotting fake batteries and why it's often not worth the risk, just for saving a bit of money. Beware of cheap batteries, especially with on-line shopping. Buy from a reputable dealer
- Canon Pro-1 Printer Notice of upcoming printer review: Canon PRO-1
- New monitor calibration option – ColorMunki Smile X-rite annouce a new device to calibrate your monitor, the ColorMunki Smile
- After the Photokina 2012 show… What's really new at Photokina in 2012 and what will make a real difference to photography, Keith picks a few items...
- Fuji to stop making movie film Fuji decide to quit the movie film business
- The St Mary de Castro spire appeal An exhibition of some of Keith's photographs of St Mary de Castro church in Leicester. Prints are on sale to help raise money to rebuild the spire, which unfortunately had to be demolished in 2014
- DxO ViewPoint New software from DxO that helps correct differing aspects of image geometry
- Again, the death of film… pt.94 Kodak needs money, so it's going to sell off more businesses, including its film business. What'll be left? - will most pro photographers be inconvenienced in any way?
- No more big Fuji Velvia films? Fujifilm is stopping production of Fujichrome Velvia 100F in 35mm, 120 and 4"x5" formats It's also halting 4"x5" and 8"x10" versions of Velvia 50 (still to be available in 35mm and 120)
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)