What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 announced Samyang have announced a new AF 85mm F1.4 lens in Canon EF mount. At 485g weight and 72mm long, it is smaller than other Canon mount 85mm 1.4 lenses
- Datacolor Colour management survey How does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Two new Canon EF 70-200 Lenses Canon launches EF 70-200 F4L IS II and EF 70-200 F2.8L IS III lenses. New versions of Canon's 70-200mm 'L' series telephoto zoom
- DxO Nik collection and PhotoLab The DxO Nik collection image editing plugins are updated for compatibility with modern editing software. DxO PhotoLab image editing software is updated to V1.2 with U Point local image adjustments.
- HP Launches new Designjet Z series HP has launched a new Designjet Z series of large format printers. The Z6 and Z9+ printers are aimed at photos graphics and technical printing. Printers will be available in June/July
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
- BenQ SW240 monitor review BenQ SW240 monitor review. 24 inch 1920 x 1200 resolution, wide Adobe98 (99%) gamut, hardware calibration with supplied calibration software. An optional shading hood is available.
- TS-E 90mm F2.8L Macro review Review of the Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L macro tilt/shift lens. How to use the ±10 degrees of tilt and ±12mm of shift offered by the macro lens, Includes comparisons with the original TS-E90mm F2.8 lens
- Review: Benro GD3WH geared head Review of the Benro GD3WH geared tripod head. Three axis geared adjustment with up to 6kg of camera gear supported. Arca Swiss style adapter plate for quick release. Head weighs under 2 pounds in weight.
- Canon imagePROGRAF TX-3000 review Testing the Canon TX-3000 36" width printer. Keith Cooper reviews the Canon TX wide format printer and plotter for photo and graphics printing. Also covers the 24" TX-2000 printer and 44" TX-4000
- Looking for a bigger photo printer Important questions to ask yourself when looking for a bigger photo printer wider than 13 inch width or A3+. Things that it's useful to know if you want a 17" (A2) or larger printer, it's about more than just bigger prints.
- So, can you start a photography business So, can you start a photography business? Will it last? Are you sure you know the difference between photography as a hobby and running a successful and profitable photography business. Some of the things you need to think about.
- Why your prints look wrong Why do your photo prints not look right? Fixing print problems. From prints too dark, and prints not matching your screen, Keith Cooper looks at ten of the most common reasons that your prints might not work
- Interview with Venus Optics An interview with Venus Optics, the Chinese maker of the Laowa brand of lenses. Keith Cooper talks with lens designer Mr. Dayong Li about the company philosophy and the optical products they design and make.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- DNG ProfileManager – organising DNG profiles DNG ProfileManager - organising DNG camera profiles. Making DNG profiles is a good way of working round awkward lighting conditions, where the trouble of making a full icc profile is perhaps not merited.
- A visit to IPEX 2010 Looking at some large printers from HP, Canon and others at the IPEX show - Keith visits IPEX 2010... what's new?
- i1Profiler – New Profiling solution from X-Rite i1Profiler - New Profiling solution from X-Rite. product announcement
- DxO Optics Pro V6.2 update for Mac and PC Short review of DxO optics Pro V6.2, showing improved noise handling and sharpness. Includes allowing more corrections for non supported lenses
- Trade shows… Keith Cooper looks back on a quick visit to the 2010 Focus on Imaging photography trade show in Birmingham at the NEC (now The Photography Show)
- DxO Optics Pro updated for the Mac DxO Optics Pro updated for the Mac, to work under OSX 10.3
- Looking at the Canon EOS 7D First thoughts - Looking at the Canon EOS 7D, initial experiments and testing of Canon's top crop sensor camera, just loaned to me by Canon UK
- Dealing with the world – running a site like this :-) Dealing with the world - some of the issues facing us when running a web site like ours. What we try and do, how to help and thanks...
- Is your camera good enough? Quality standards for stock images - Is your camera good enough? Alamy have a list of cameras that they deem 'not worthy'
- Canon updates the 1DMk3 to the 1D Mk4 News item: Canon updates the EOS 1D Mk3 to the EOS 1D Mk4 - camera features: 16.1MP APS-H (1.3x) sensor, 100 to 102k max ISO
- Apple offers Matte screens at last… When Apple offered Matte screens for laptops - time for a new MacBook Pro. Why do Apple insist that screens that double as a shaving mirror are best?
- Reading the fine print – SWPP loses court case The SWPP loses a UK court case where it tried to enforce a three month notice of cancellation requirement for membership. Why joining any 'professional' organisation for photographers should be a business led decision, and why it pays to enquire widely
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks