What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Tokina ATX-i 11-20mm f2-8 CF Tokina have announced the new ATX-i 11-20mm f/2.8 CF APS-C (crop sensor) ultra-wide zoom lens for Canon EF and Nikon F lens mounts
- DxO Nik Collection 3 announced The DxO Nik collection 3 announced - Software for image editing updated to include non-destructive editing functionality and a new geometry correction plugin is added to the existing plugins
- SD Express updates card speeds SD Cards have a new SD Express standard for faster transfers. The SD Cards are backwards compatible with existing cards, using new interface pins
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Gigapixel AI V5 update Topaz have updated Gigapixel AI to Version 5. New processing models allow different resizing techniques for different types of image - such as natural scenes or manmade.
- PermaJet FB Gold Silk 315 review Review: PermaJet FB Gold Silk 315 glossy baryta paper. The 315gsm Gold Silk paper has been reformulated with a smoother surface finish and improved coatings.
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviews Keith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy. Regularly updated for new papers tested
- Digital black and white photography Exploring black and white photography and image editing. Methods of converting colour to B&W. How to get the monochrome image you want from a colour photo.
- Choosing the best paper for your photo prints What photo paper is best for printing your photos? What paper is best to use with your printer? Why when choosing a paper for your prints needs, you need to start with the basics
- Review Nik Perspective Efex Review of Perspective Efex plugin and standalone app in the DxO Nik Collection 3. Correcting verticals and image projection geometry. Adjust wide angle distortion for group photos and add 'tilt/shift look' with selective focus
- Review of DxO Nik Collection 3 Review of Nik Collection 3 by DxO - The Image editing plugins are updated and expanded to fit more varied workflow choices without losing the original Nik functionality. Demo available.
- On being an architectural photographer 2 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 2 looks at how the equipment you choose matches the demands of architectural photography clients - What Keith Cooper uses for our architectural and construction photography business
- Diagonal lens shift Diagonal lens shift - Keith looks at using a tilt/shift or shift only lens by combining horizontal and vertical lens movements. Using an off-set viewpoint in images
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-6000 60 inch printer Canon have announced a 60 inch width version of their imagePROGRAF PRO series of printers. The PRO-6000 is a 12 colour pigment ink printer - a bigger version of the PRO-2000 reviewed by Keith Cooper. For a PRO6000 review, read Keith's PRO2000 one and change any mention of 24" to 60"
- DxO updates FilmPack and ViewPoint DxO updates FilmPack to V 5.5 and ViewPoint to V3.1 - film emulation and geometry correction
- Luminar – now for Windows too Macphun have announced a free open Beta test version of their Luminar photo editor that work on Windows PCs. Keith has reviewed Luminar (Mac version) in the past, so do have a look for a bit more detail of just what you can do with it, beyond some of the rather 'luminous' examples. It's actually capable of some very subtle adjustments.
- Nikon EN-EL15 battery advisory update Nikon have an updated product advisory for very specific versions of the EN-EL15 battery. cameras include D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 and the Nikon 1 V1
- Laowa Magic Shift Converter for Sony FE mount cameras Laowa announce a shift adapter that allows normal wide angle lenses to be used as shift lenses on Sony E mount cameras. 12mm f2.8 becomes 17mm f4 shift
- New Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 lens announced Tamron announces its latest 24-70mm F2.8 lens, model SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A032) due August 2017. Nikon and Canon mounts. Full specs including MTF charts
- Canon 6D mk2 and 200D Canon announce the 26MP full frame EOS 6D mk2 and the 24MP APS-C EOS 200D - two new DSLR cameras updating he 6D and 100D
- Micron kills off Lexar brand A Micron announcement looks to kill off the Lexar brand and cards and associated hardware. The Flash memory maker announces that it intends to drop the entire Lexar business line, but is open to offers...
- Luminar Neptune review update Luminar Neptune review update - The MacPhun Image editor version 1.2 adds new features, operating modes and overall performance. Follows on from Keith's full review
- BenQ monitor competition – trip to Venice Win a photographic trip to Venice courtesy of BenQ (European residents only) Celebrating the BenQ range of monitors
- Google calls time on the Nik plugins Google has announced that the Nik collection of image editing plugins will no longer be updated or extended
- Topaz Studio image editor Topaz Studio image editor and plugin that also works stand alone and integrates Topaz plugins. Free and paid versions available
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)