What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
- Articles and Reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- Digital Black and White
- Colour Management
- Printing and paper
- All about using tilt and shift
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Photography book reviews
- Keith’s ‘gear list’ for his work
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
- Some of Keith’s travel blogs
- Some of Keith’s link choices
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- SD Express updates card speeds SD Cards have a new SD Express standard for faster transfers. The SD Cards are backwards compatible with existing cards, using new interface pins
- DxO PhotoLab 3.2 update DxO PhotoLab is updated to V3.2. It expands localised adjustments when photo editing and improves photo library functionality - free update for V3 users
- Epson P700 and P900 printers announced Epson UK announce the SureColor SC-P700 and SC- P900 printers, replacements for the 13" (A3+) Epson P600 and 17" (A2) Epson P800. Both have new designs for roll paper support and no black ink switching
- Canon EOS R5 development announcement Canon have released a 'development announcement' for the EOS R5, a professional level model for the EOS R mirrorless range
- Canon RF24-105 F4-7 Canon have announced the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM lens. A lightweight image stabilised zoom lens for the EOS RF mount. Available as a kit lens option for the EOS RP
- On being an architectural photographer 2 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 2 looks at how the equipment you choose matches the demands of architectural photography clients - What Keith Cooper uses for our architectural and construction photography business
- Diagonal lens shift Diagonal lens shift - Keith looks at using a tilt/shift or shift only lens by combining horizontal and vertical lens movements. Using an off-set viewpoint in images
- On being an architectural photographer 1 Architectural photography as a professional business. Part 1 looks at how the business of photographing architecture works, from a business, skills and creative point of view - Why Keith Cooper took up architectural and construction photography
- X-Rite ColorChecker SG review Review of the ColorChecker SG card from X-Rite. The advanced colour reference card has a wider range of colours than the standard 24 patch ColorChecker card used for creating camera profiles. Creates DNG and ICC profiles - also useful for scanner profiling
- Jessop zoom slide duplicator lens Testing a 35mm zoom slide copier on a modern digital camera with some slides from the 1970's. Includes image processing and lighting concerns and a quick look at photo image quality from the 70's
- i1Studio update 1.5 X-rite updates i1Studio to version 1.5. Improves profile accuracy and adds i1Display Studio (monitor calibration) support
- SpyderPrint black and white print refinement Black and white printer test image for use with the Datacolor SpyderPrint spectrocolorimeter. Check linearity and black and white print performance with Photoshop & Affinity Photo
- What goes into a print What goes into a photo print - getting more from your prints. Looking at printers, image preparation and just what makes a print worth going on your wall. Why are you making prints and who are they for?
- Tilt-shift and moving beyond the small world look The model world style of photos taken with lens tilt is but a small part of what can be achieved with a tilt-shift lens. Controlling and using lens tilt is not the black art some seem to think...
More Articles (1000+) Main articles/reviews page
- Nikon D850 Nikon D850 full frame DSLR. Camera features 45.7MP BSI FX-format sensor, 7 fps burst (max 9 fps), 4K video and a tilting 3.2" 2.36M-dot touchscreen. Camera includes dual card slots: XQD and SD
- Kodak to bring back Ektachrome film At the CES show in Vegas, Kodak have announced that Ektachrome colour slide film is going to be making a comeback later in 2017
- Canon MT-26EX-RT macro twin flash unit The new Canon MT-26EX-RT macro twin flash unit boosts power over the previous MT-24EX and add wireless support, along with an updated interface
- New Canon 50mm, 90mm and 135mm tilt-shift lenses New tilt shift lenses announced. Canon 50mm f2.8L, 90mm f2.8L and 135mm f4L macro tilt-shift lenses. TS-E lens range expanded with macro capable lenses.
- Canon EOS M100 24MP camera Canon EOS M100 with 24MP sensor and Dual Pixel AF replaces the EOS M10. Digic 7 processor improves video performance. Available in black or white, shipping in October for £570/$600 with 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, or £770/$950 with 15-45mm and 55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM.
- Canon EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM A new lens from Canon. The Canon EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM stabilised f1.4 lens is a short telephoto prime lens for portrait and low light work
- New Canon TS Pixma printers Canon launch a new range of TS Pixma printers PIXMA TS9120, TS8120, TS6120, TS5120 and TS3120 3-in-1 inkjet printers
- Moorsview photography event in Yorkshire With exhibitions talks and seminars, the Moorsview 2017 event takes place in Pickering over the weekend from Friday 8th to Sunday the 10th September 2017. A good reason to visit the North York Moors area of the UK
- Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR for Mac and Windows Macphun Aurora 2018 HDR editing and creation software updated for Mac and Windows platforms. Speeds up processing and adds new features
- Venus Optics 15mm f2 E-mount lens Venus Optics 15mm f2 E-mount lens is announced. The widest rectilinear f/2 native lens for Sony Full Frame E-mount cameras, Laowa 15mm f/2 FE Zero-D
- Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-6000 60 inch printer Canon have announced a 60 inch width version of their imagePROGRAF PRO series of printers. The PRO-6000 is a 12 colour pigment ink printer - a bigger version of the PRO-2000 reviewed by Keith Cooper. For a PRO6000 review, read Keith's PRO2000 one and change any mention of 24" to 60"
- DxO updates FilmPack and ViewPoint DxO updates FilmPack to V 5.5 and ViewPoint to V3.1 - film emulation and geometry correction
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)